A huge disservice to our community…

Create a thread to track the progress of you MB/GPW restoration progress. Previously a General Discussion board.
bazza46
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: A huge disservice to our community…

Post by bazza46 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:51 pm

I've often wondered WHY they make these so-called 'reality shows', with so much crap- manufactured drama, tight deadlines, crazy characters who fight with each other all the time, sloppy workmanship etc, ad nauseum.

But I guess the majority of the public (or so the producers think), don't really want to know how cars ,artifacts, houses etc, are renovated, dance schools operate, etc.

They just want to see 'human drama'- conflict, shouting, pseudo excitement, tension,tempers fraying,Things going wrong, only to be mysteriously or unexplainably 'fixed' at the last second- to cheer the 'goodies' and boo the 'baddies.
It's so childish,and probably aimed at a 12 year old level of maturity on the part of the viewers.
And if that gets the ratings, so be it!

Fortunately there are one or two shows, usually on public TV which are genuine 'How it's Done' type, but the ratings for these shows are probably minimal compare to the other crap.

To quote a well known person, "Sad!"
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt"..Bertrand Russell

GUNNUT in Iowa
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by GUNNUT in Iowa » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:58 pm

bazza46 wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:51 pm
I've often wondered WHY they make these so-called 'reality shows', with so much crap- manufactured drama, tight deadlines, crazy characters who fight with each other all the time, sloppy workmanship etc, ad nauseum.

But I guess the majority of the public (or so the producers think), don't really want to know how cars ,artifacts, houses etc, are renovated, dance schools operate, etc.

They just want to see 'human drama'- conflict, shouting, pseudo excitement, tension,tempers fraying,Things going wrong, only to be mysteriously or unexplainably 'fixed' at the last second- to cheer the 'goodies' and boo the 'baddies.
It's so childish,and probably aimed at a 12 year old level of maturity on the part of the viewers.
And if that gets the ratings, so be it!

Fortunately there are one or two shows, usually on public TV which are genuine 'How it's Done' type, but the ratings for these shows are probably minimal compare to the other crap.

To quote a well known person, "Sad!"
+ eleventy billion
1968 M274 A5 Mule
1945 Willys MB

Michael O.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Michael O. » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:07 pm

twinflyer17 wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:49 am
Boyso wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:20 pm
Plane resurrection on Netflix too.
Maurice Hammond, whose P-51 'Janie' was in the first episode and who also runs a well known Merlin rebuild shop in England, actually crashed Janie last October.
I had heard about that Mustang crash now realized it was the same one featured in that episode of "Plane Resurrection".... very sad! "Janie" was a beautifully restored P-51 and I really enjoyed that particular episode...have watched it several times. Very sad that is was the accident aircraft...sad when anybody balls up a war bird for that matter!
Michael O’Connell

Too many jeeps…and a Dodge.

MVPA 13861

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:13 am

You can often find better restoration threads on the gee than they have on TV....they are in the entertainment business, personal restorations are another thing all together.
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

Return to “MB GPW Restoration Projects”