Original Slat Grill Speedometer prices tanking?

Nov. 18, 1941 - MB100001 thru Mar. 6, 1942 - MB125809 NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
Michael O.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Original Slat Grill Speedometer prices tanking?

Post by Michael O. » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:13 pm

I guess the introduction of the new reproduction Autolite speedometers has caused the market to drop out of original restored Autolite speedometers. Not long ago a guy could spend $1500 on a restored speedometer. A very nicely restored Autolite (done by the same guy who restored mine) just just sold on ePay for $790.00!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-Jeep-Willy ... 1438.l2649
Michael O’Connell

Too many jeeps…and a Dodge.

MVPA 13861

chasendeer
G-Major
G-Major

Re: Original Slat Grill Speedometer prices tanking?

Post by chasendeer » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:14 pm

Wow!! Knowing what he paid for the core, he did not brake even!!
Jay

Michael O.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Michael O. » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:40 pm

No kidding! There's a core up currently for $750....then add $395 for the restoration work.
Michael O’Connell

Too many jeeps…and a Dodge.

MVPA 13861

David
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by David » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:57 am

It was bound to happen, if you combine outright silly prices for original parts with good quality reproductions becoming available...

Farrell Fox
banned

Post by Farrell Fox » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:20 am

[Post Deleted By Author]
Last edited by Farrell Fox on Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
4th Tank Battalion, 4th Marine Division
M1A1 Main Battle Tank Mechanic
M88 Armored Vehicle Recovery Operator
AVLB Operator

David
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by David » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:06 am

That's the repro I was referring to :lol:

JMP does have an original, unrestored slat speedo on eBay now.

Mark
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Mark » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:14 pm

The price is reasonable when compared to an original but is not reasonable considering that it is more than double the price of the other 4 versions of repro speedometers also being produced now by JMP. Considering the only differences are probably just the face graphics and needle, that's a big premium for the slat grill version...

soccergorilla
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by soccergorilla » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:21 pm

Not sure I would call the prices silly. There is still a free market at play here.....low supply ....big demand. The new repros are great but given the choice I would pay much more for an original, after all I think building a very original jeep is what we strive for. I would run a repro until I found an original or in a slat that was a fun driver. Another angle is the originals have that patina and I like seeing restored jeeps with old off white gauges. Original data plates and original fully functional, not over restored gauges let you know the vehicle is truly old. If the prices of originals really come down quite a bit then good news. I will buy them for a little less. The originals are not just "parts". They are genuine equipment from 75 years ago from the greatest military the world has ever known.

ajlang
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by ajlang » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:58 am

My guess is JMP is producing a lot less slat speedos than the others. The cost over the other 4 is to recover tooling and design costs. Still a great deal IMHO.

David
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by David » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:18 am

I will go for original parts too if possible, and pay more than what a repro goes for. But $180 or $1500 is too big of a difference to ignore. I guess I'm lucky with the original airfilter and dataplates I have, although I keep the original plates safely at home and have repro's in the jeep. That's thanks to the silly prices they do, and the fact they're only fixed with a few (original) screws. :lol:

The repro slat speedo on its own is a good deal but expensive compared to their other repro speedos indeed. However, I think in this case you have to compare the repro to the original part to judge if the price is reasonable, and not to other different, repro parts?

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:29 am

Given that each of the original WWII speedos (Autolite, K-S, SW, Motometer, Waltham) have unique features and that there are differences between the Slat Grill Autolite and Motometer....one might want to know if the JMP speedos are following all those different mfg characteristics or just changing the needles and the face printing? I don't know myself, but those who have pics of them might post the front, side and rear pics for us to see.

As posted above, some guys don't WANT a repop and some guys are OK with it if 99.9% of the people can't tell the difference. The rest just care what the FACE looks like and would not bother with the guts or the case or the bracket.

Repops are not CLONES....they are close but not exact and that right there is the dividing line; how close will separate the buyers into those three groups.

Bottom line is; how CLOSE is the JMP Slat Grill Autolite speedo for instance? Got pics?
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

David
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by David » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:03 am

Good point Chuck, I don't have enough knowledge of gauges for that. I don't have one of the JMP repros myself but here it is:

https://www.joesmotorpool.com/home/229- ... peedometer

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:10 am

I can't see enough details myself but it should have a dished face.... and the face screws at about the 5 and 9 o'clock positions which it seems to have, but the Philips screws on the back are in the wrong position for a Slatgrill Type I Autolite speedo...

Up to the buyers to weigh the originality and the price and availability for themselves.
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

Return to “Slat Grill, early Willys MB”