My M1123 Purchase Experience GovPlanet Florida DMV

1985 - Present, Questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the Humvee. (NO AUCTION or EBAY)

Moderator: Kurt Lesser

Rales
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class
My M1123 Purchase Experience GovPlanet Florida DMV

Post by Rales » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:02 am

Hi Everyone,

I have been on this board for a while reading and gathering information. There is a great source of information available here. Most questions I have been able to find answers via a search, but wanted to share my experience and also see if anyone had any thoughts or input.

Back in March, was watching the GovPlanet Auctions and was looking at the Marine trucks with the Clear SF-97, thinking this would be the best approach for on road use.

Won my 04 M1123 late in March and then the EUC cleared in June. About 10 weeks to clear

The pickup from Gov Planet in Albany Ga and ride back home went very smooth.

My SF-97 came about a week later with a reassignment letter.

First trip to DMV resulted in learning the reassignment letter provided by Gov Planet was missing the mileage and would not be accepted. Was also given the Vin Verification form required in Florida.

Contracted GovPlanet and they quickly FedEx'ed me the formal Florida Reassignment with mileage. Also got the Vin Verification completed and notarized.

Second trip to DMV returned to the same clerk as she suggested, since she had helped prior. All was well until the 6 digit vin number. The 6 digit Vin in NMVTIS matches a Porsche and a Trailer both in other states. The DMV location can not add the Vin, and called Tallahassee for them to add the vin. Tallahassee noted all HMMWV are for off road use and I would need to verify with the Regional office for on Road use. Was given the regional office number and told to contact a compliance officer to verify street legal.

Contacted Regional DMV office here in Tampa and spoke to the compliance inspector. She informed me non HMMWV are street legal and all are off road use only, regardless of the clear SF-97 and clear Reassignment letter. She requested I send over my documentation and she would review.

Few days later got a reply from the Regional Office in Tampa:

"I have received your documents, however, I still you to provide pictures of the Humvee.

Here are a few detail that I want to make clear. If this military vehicle has maintained its military design and markings, you are eligible for a title and registration. The registration allows the vehicle to be used for exhibitions, parades or public display and will receive the new former military vehicle license plate. This registration only covers the vehicle if it is maintained to represent it military design and marking accurately (S 320.086 F.S). This vehicle will receive a brand of “Former Military Vehicle”.

You can’t put in a stereo system, change the seating, engine, transmission, color or anything.

In the State of Florida this vehicle can never be made street legal." - Note this line was a bright red font in the email.

As we know there are some HMMWV's in Florida with standard plates....

Decided to try another DMV office to see if I may have a different experience. Both locations have been Rural Central Florida.

Third trip to DMV, the clerk even knew about off road HMMWV and agreed this one was ok. She started throught the proceess and again when the 6 digit vin was run the NMVTIS, it returned the same matches as a Porsche and a Trailer both in other states. The DMV location can not add the Vin, and called Tallahasse for them to add the vin. Tallahasse noted all HMMWV are for off road use and I would need to verify with the Regional office for on Road use. Was again given the regional office number and told to contact a compliance officer to verify street legal.

Found a resource someone suggested in Tallahassee that has helped with other Military vehicles. I tried to contact but was always left with a voicemail box. I left a message, but have not received a return call.

I contact Tallahassee again and ended up talking to the contacts boss, who was very polite, but informed me no HMMWV will be registered as normal vehicles and can only be done through the Retired Military Vehicle registration with restrictions to Parade, Exhibitions, and Public Display.

At this point it seems my real issue is my 6 Digit Vin in NMVTIS that has 2 other matches.

With Florida so strict now on HMMWV, not really sure how I will be able to make this truck On Road.

All contacts with DMV have been very polite and business like, as I do not want to impact any other MV owners in Florida, and I at the end of the day, would like my HMMWV on the road.

Thank you for your time

Kurt Lesser
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: My M1123 Purchase Experience GovPlanet Florida DMV

Post by Kurt Lesser » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:14 am

When I went to register mine in California I was told there was already a moped out there with the same serial number so they couldn't proceed with the registration. I'm thinking to myself no one will EVER mistake this thing for a moped but what the heck it's the DMV. Went to another DMV and the lady there knew exactly what to do and I walked out 15 minutes later with a registered vehicle. On the way home I got to thinking how many homebuilt trailers are out there with serial number 1? Such is life............
Kurt Lesser
US Navy, 1969-1975
M996A1 Ambulance w/M101A3 Trailer
M274A2 Mule
M151A1 Mutt w/M416B1 Trailer
M890 Crew cab

dilvoy
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by dilvoy » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:46 am

How about going to the Highway Patrol and asking them to assign a VIN number to your Humvee. One of mine has the Registration and then Serial Number all in one group for the VIN. The others just have the six digit serial number so what gets done can vary. If the highway patrol assigns a VIN, they will probably rivet it to the inner part of the windshield frame somewhere. You might Figure out how AM General arranged their VIN Numbers and make an arrangement with proper letters and numbers for the year, engine, trans ext. as a possible guide for the highway patrol. They may just use numbers in their system and that is that, but it can't hurt to give them some info as a possible guide. I think the Lynch Hummer Website has a breakdown of every year Hummer and what changes were made from year to year so when you make your trip to the highway patrol with your proposed VIN, be sure to have that reference info. A Hummer Service manual will probably have the into you want in the first few pages too.
George D. Paxinos

M998
M1123A2

Tumbler510
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by Tumbler510 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:09 am

Rales wrote: the Clear SF-97
Is there such thing as a non-clear SF-97?
I was under the impression that you get one or you don't, but didn't know there were varying degrees of getting one.

Action
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Action » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:44 pm

Tumbler510 wrote:
Rales wrote: the Clear SF-97
Is there such thing as a non-clear SF-97?
I was under the impression that you get one or you don't, but didn't know there were varying degrees of getting one.
Folks call it clear if it does not have OFF ROAD USE ONLY ON IT. Some do and some don't.

Jason

diamondjim
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by diamondjim » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:57 am

here is the direct link for Florida mv form,my buddy in Orlando just registered his Chenowth FAV dune buggy a few weeks ago,jim http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/forms/BTR/83045.pdf

Rales
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by Rales » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:08 am

Thanks for the advice and information guys.

Wanted to update this with the latest.

So after multiple attempts, Florida will not provide me a title, as each time my Vin number came back as a Porsche and a trailer, both out of state, and thus required a call to Tallahassee to add the Vin. The call to Tallahassee always resulted in I need to go to the regional office to get it registered as a Parade vehicle.

As a Parade vehicle, there are restrictions to when and how it can be used. As I have a clear SF97, I wanted to avoid any restrictions, so to not have headaches if I want to haul something home in the truck bed etc.

I was finally able to get another state to honor the clear SF97 form and my paperwork. I have been granted a license plate and also should have a clear title coming in the next week or so.

Ideally now that my Vin is in the NMVTIS, I can then transfer this title to Florida without any calls to Tallahassee.

If anyone wants more specifics, please PM me.

Action
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Action » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:17 pm

But your VIN is still a Porsche and a trailer. So, another state gave you a license plate without living there? Or did you lie and have it sent to a friend or family member's house? Or have someone else title it and sell it to you for a dollar? I know folks are getting titles from other states, but I didn't know they got plates too.

Jason

dilvoy
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by dilvoy » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:25 pm

Most likely since the Humvee was made by Am General, The title shows AM General as the Manufacturer, not Porsche or a Trailer.
George D. Paxinos

M998
M1123A2

Action
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Action » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:28 pm

dilvoy wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:25 pm
Most likely since the Humvee was made by Am General, The title shows AM General as the Manufacturer, not Porsche or a Trailer.
Maybe it is a trailer with an AMGENERAL tailgate and a stuttgart logo on the tongue.... :?
Florida wouldn't transfer my m1102 title from Indiana, because the VIN was in use by something else.

Jason

JuanPrado
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by JuanPrado » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:13 pm

Easiest and way less hassle place to register trailers is Maine.

No title needed, they are your notary, upload bill of sale, all done on line with a credit card and new shiny plate with legal registration in 5 days.

No sf97 fee and Louisiana has stupid laws requiring titles on trailers and even more stupid fees and taxes. We are a proud banana republic for a reason :roll:

All my trailers are in Maine and many I have flipped and sold also with Maine plates and registration.

Rales
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by Rales » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:57 am

Action wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:17 pm
But your VIN is still a Porsche and a trailer. So, another state gave you a license plate without living there? Or did you lie and have it sent to a friend or family member's house? Or have someone else title it and sell it to you for a dollar? I know folks are getting titles from other states, but I didn't know they got plates too.

Jason
The NMVTIS system can have multiple entries for a single VIN number. As Tallahassee would not add my VIN number, I registered it another state. When that state registered my vehicle and provided me a Title, they also added my VIN number to the NMVTIS system as AM GENERAL. Thus there are now 3 VIN entries for my number in the NMVTIS. I plan to now take my clear title to my local DMV and idealy they will transfer to Florida without any issue, as now my VIN has been added to NMVTIS.

To answer some other questions, I did not sell the vehicle to anyone/company, or use a friends address. I registered the HMMWV just like any other vehicle. Just had to find a state that would allow me. :D

It seems more and more states are allowing even the Off-Road titles trucks to be made street legal. Recently Montana allowed it will a simple form. I would assume the Montana trucks could then be transferred to any other state cleanly.

Rales
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by Rales » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:00 am

Action wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:28 pm
dilvoy wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:25 pm
Maybe it is a trailer with an AMGENERAL tailgate and a stuttgart logo on the tongue.... :?
Florida wouldn't transfer my m1102 title from Indiana, because the VIN was in use by something else.

Jason

Was your Indiana Title a Clear Street Legal State Issues title or an SF-97 Certificate to obtain a title?

Action
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Action » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:18 pm

State issued title.
I bought the m1102 from GP. It came with a state title that I transferred to Indiana. Then moved to FL.
Hopefully, Florida doesn't do like VA, or wherever, that wouldn't title them no matter what. With clear title or not. What does your title show as the model?

Jason

Rales
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by Rales » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:46 am

Hmm strange your having issues with a clear title from another state. They should have entered the Vin into NMVTIS when the title was created. I have seen another hmmwv here in florida with a vin that matches a trailer also in Florida. The DMV office was able to add the additional entry. May want to try another DMV location as each one has been a different experience for me.

I have not yet received my title. Once it comes in the next week or so i will let you know what it says.

Ideally after a month or so of receiving the title i will try to transfer to Florida. We will see if they have issues with registering or trying to recollect sales tax as there is a 6 month requirement registered in another state.

Return to “Humvee Technical Knowledge Base -”