Zeph's '42 Ford GPW

Create a thread to track the progress of you MB/GPW restoration progress. Previously a General Discussion board.
cjv-35
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: Zeph's '42 Ford GPW

Post by cjv-35 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:26 pm

All I need to have for a correct 539S is the bowl which I know is pretty hard to find for I have all the other components. :(

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:22 pm

"The Jeep Police...they live inside of my head...the Jeep Police...they come to me in my bed...the Jeep Police...they're coming to arrest me..oh no!" :lol: Boy that brings back just outta high school memories...lol

Here's the best photo that my lousy iPhone can take. Never noticed, but it does look like the clip is messed up. Likely not a performance issue? Just cosmetic..no?
CC 15.JPG
CC 15.JPG (82.63 KiB) Viewed 12037 times
Zeph

'42 Script GPW Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

'41 Dodge WC16 Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:13 am

You know the drill....

Air Horn with NO "circle C"
Eight Patent Bowl
Bowl cover with rounded feature not triangular gusset
Flange with "407"
Choke linkage that is not "slotted" where it grips the choke cable

Are you building a correct 539S and only need the bowl to do that?

PS just pull that throttle rod OUT and turn the keeper upside down, refit the rod push the keeper up ad clip it to the throttle rod.
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:55 am

Chuck Lutz wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:13 am
You know the drill....

Air Horn with NO "circle C"
Eight Patent Bowl
Bowl cover with rounded feature not triangular gusset
Flange with "407"
Choke linkage that is not "slotted" where it grips the choke cable

Are you building a correct 539S and only need the bowl to do that?

PS just pull that throttle rod OUT and turn the keeper upside down, refit the rod push the keeper up ad clip it to the throttle rod.
Hi Chuck,

I may take a crack at building a correct one someday, but this GPW really is in no danger/worthy of being in any type of show where judging would be involved. Therefore, not really high on the dinking around list at the moment. Getting it running where I can just jump in and go for a spin is my main focus at the moment, but nonetheless worth keeping an eye out for correct parts.

I can fix the throttle rod attachment. I hadn't noticed that the keeper was on there incorrectly. Good eye by cjv-35!

Thank you,
Zeph

cjv-35
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by cjv-35 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:18 pm

Zeph, If you need a good used one of the clips, I believe I have a spare or two. Did you review the You Tube Video's I mentioned ? By the way, it looks like it was pretty in Cottonwood today. Will be heading up your way first week of Aug to my cousins property. Hope the weather will be a bit cooler then. Stay COOL.

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:46 pm

cjv-35 wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:18 pm
Zeph, If you need a good used one of the clips, I believe I have a spare or two. Did you review the You Tube Video's I mentioned ? By the way, it looks like it was pretty in Cottonwood today. Will be heading up your way first week of Aug to my cousins property. Hope the weather will be a bit cooler then. Stay COOL.
I think the clip is fine. Just needs to be removed and placed in the correct position. May be warm in the first week of august. 108 degrees today, but a cooling trend for the rest of the week. Should be just at a 100-102 degrees during the week which will be nice. Weird how is feels cool now when it is under 100 degrees. The human body is an amazing thing.

If you come up to Cottonwood and want to stop by, just let me know. Home on the weekends typically.

Cheers,
Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:40 am

If anyone is using the Google Chrome browser there is an add on/fix that can be installed to your browser to allow the viewing of the Photobucket broken links caused by those &$&&%*( at PB: Here: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... j?hl=en-GB

The first 45 pages I have on this thread were hosted by PB. This may not work if the original posters in other threads downloaded their photos from PB and deleted their accounts. I elected to stand pat to see what happens. I added the fix to my browser and I can see all of the previously broken links....at least for now....
Zeph

Boyso
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Boyso » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:40 am

Works on my end too Zeph.

I'd still make a backup if I were you, there are Chrome extensions that can download your whole Photobucket library and you could then re-upload it all to Imgur.com or a different host.

Editing 45 pages worth of image links won't be fun though, but at least you'll have a backup of your photos if PB goes down the drain!

Great thread as always, I can measure my own progress by which page you were on when you where at my stage :D
44 GPW 231738 10/23/1944
MVPA #36162

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:22 am

Boyso wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:40 am
Works on my end too Zeph.

I'd still make a backup if I were you, there are Chrome extensions that can download your whole Photobucket library and you could then re-upload it all to Imgur.com or a different host.

Editing 45 pages worth of image links won't be fun though, but at least you'll have a backup of your photos if PB goes down the drain!

Great thread as always, I can measure my own progress by which page you were on when you where at my stage :D
That's great seeing the old photos back. You're right, I need to get to PB and download all my photos just in case.

Your project is looking good! Appreciate you passing along the PB tip.

Regards,
Zeph

rgtb
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by rgtb » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:57 am

I've been looking for information on the steering knuckles, and how to fit them, and what to look for... and once again this awesome thread has given me what I need, with pictures!! thank-you so much for taking the time to post it all :O)

you really should get it made into a book.

Richard
1943 Gpw 'Janice'
built Louisville, Kentucky, March 1943
est DoD 8-6-43
Engine GPW219188
Frame 124798
Hood 20388356 est

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:49 am

rgtb wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:57 am
I've been looking for information on the steering knuckles, and how to fit them, and what to look for... and once again this awesome thread has given me what I need, with pictures!! thank-you so much for taking the time to post it all :O)

you really should get it made into a book.

Richard
Hi Richard,

That is great to hear and great feedback.

Good luck with your project!

Cheers,
Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:09 pm

Tried to stencil on the back of the new top today. I have done this before and worked well. Not as good this time, but good enough for government work as they say. No do overs here:

I think I rushed it a bit, and I should have let the first few coats dry a bit before re-applying. Bled underneath the stencil:

Just noticed the little square hole in the top along where the straps are. Must be for the fuel can mount. I'll have to go back and look at that. I used a little OD paint to clean up some of the bleeding:

Zeph

JAB
G-General
G-General

Post by JAB » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:31 pm

That's a lot better than my hood turned out today Zeph. Unfortunately I do have to sand it down and start over. I'm rushed because I have a display for students on Thursday. Hopefully I can fix it in time. Your job looks great!
-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:45 pm

JAB wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:31 pm
That's a lot better than my hood turned out today Zeph. Unfortunately I do have to sand it down and start over. I'm rushed because I have a display for students on Thursday. Hopefully I can fix it in time. Your job looks great!
Thanks Jeff. Oh yeah, the dreaded do over. Always happens when one is in a rush to get it done. Good luck with the second attempt!

I did the hood, bumper numbers, and stars a couple weeks ago:

They turned out okay. Not sure what's going on with the stencil material nowadays, but it sure doesn't seem to work as well as it used to. Seems to allow the paint to bleed under. I have a little 2" rubber roller I use on the stencils now just before applying the paint. Even then it still bleeds underneath.
Zeph

JAB
G-General
G-General

Post by JAB » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:49 am

You did what I'm trying to do, white over the blue registration numbers. Yes, the stencil bled too. My hood circle and vesicant were brush painted so I tried to copy that look. I got Kindergarten art project hood instead! Too embarrassed to even take a picture!
-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

Return to “MB GPW Restoration Projects”