US Navy MB NAFR

Modifications by service branch
Toyowner
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class
US Navy MB NAFR

Post by Toyowner » Thu May 18, 2017 7:50 am

I have had a MB for 30 years, and I am just now beginning to restore it. I assumed that it was an Army Jeep, but after researching it on the internet, I have come to the conclusion that it is Navy. There are no data plates on it, but I did find ACM numbers which led me to believe that it is a Dec. 1944 production.
The Jeep was painted blue, not gray, and I found the only markings in yellow stencil on the front bumper over the blue paint. They appear to be "NAFR". The Jeep was also under coated, and there is blue paint under it on the bottom side of the hood.
Does anyone know what I may have, based on the skimpy information provided?

Farrell Fox
banned
Re: US Navy MB NAFR

Post by Farrell Fox » Thu May 18, 2017 11:04 am

[Post Deleted By Author]
Last edited by Farrell Fox on Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4th Tank Battalion, 4th Marine Division
M1A1 Main Battle Tank Mechanic
M88 Armored Vehicle Recovery Operator
AVLB Operator

Mark Tombleson
MZ Radio Operator

Post by Mark Tombleson » Thu May 18, 2017 12:30 pm

Please post photos! :D
MB-NAVY-MZ-1 352625 - 07/20/44 (DOD est.)
U.S.N. 133818
2nd place Restored Class 2008 Portland Convention
MVPA Hall of Fame - 2013

Toyowner
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by Toyowner » Thu May 18, 2017 5:50 pm

It doesn't have lifting rings or tow hooks.
The only number I have is on the driver's side firewall floor gusset. That's not handy, or I would include it. I'll get it tomorrow.
It has a filtrette under the dash.
There are LOTS of F script parts so she spent her fair share of time in the motor pool.
Attachments
image1.JPG
image1.JPG (150.79 KiB) Viewed 2416 times
IMG_6771.JPG
Taken 30 years ago. She still looks like this.
IMG_6771.JPG (87.05 KiB) Viewed 2416 times
image3.JPG
image3.JPG (128.68 KiB) Viewed 2416 times

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:26 pm

Great looking jeep !

Could that be a post war US Air Force marking ?

The colors blue and yellow were used by them.

N AFB ?

Nellis AFB ?

Is the jeep in Nevada or California ?
Could have been repainted in the 50's, being a WW2 jeep stationed on the base there that became Nellis.

Ray

Toyowner
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by Toyowner » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:24 pm

Thanks for your reply.
I am beginning to come to the conclusion that you are absolutely correct. I wish I could find more markings on the truck. But this may have to do. I looked at the bumper markings, and the "R" is looking more like a "B".
I have registration papers from California dated in the early 1970's with the spurious MB VIN assigned by the DMV.
What threw me off, amongst other things was the complete undercoating. The whole underside and engine bay have been sprayed many years ago. I was under the impression that only Navy Jeeps were so treated. A friend of mine has an M38A1 that has an undercoated replacement hood from the USAF.
I took the fuel tank out, and it looks like the well was replaced with an excellent motor pool built copy. The sides have been bent to a 0°-45°-90°, and there is also only one drain. The hood looks early with rubber windshield blocks and no holes for the lube gun etc.

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:30 pm

Hello,

Very likely Nellis AFB.

If that bumper is original , likely was used by U.S. Army Air Force, then by US Air Force.
Very nice jeep, please post more detailed pictures as they may reveal more clues.
Sometimes on the dash on US Army Air Force jeeps there is an additional hole to right of speedo area, that another instrument was mounted.

Post some pics of the rear, engine area, dash, etc. when possible.

The rust proofing was used on US Marine Corps jeeps, as they did a lot of amphibious landing in salt water, as an effort to keep them
from rusting out !
It could be that the Army did it, or it was done post war by Ziebart or another application that was common practice to help avoid road salt
corrosion.

Pics will help.

Good luck with your great jeep !!!

Ray

Toyowner
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by Toyowner » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:26 am

Thanks for the information you have provided. I am pretty convinced that my Jeep is ex-USAF now. The undercoating is still a mystery. The Air Force may have decreed that their vehicles be under coated.
Interestingly, I bought the Jeep from a friend that lives a short distance from a Nellis AFB. Being and ex desert Jeep, it is nearly rust free.
There is a large hole to the right of the instruments. I'll attach a pic. I put the emergency brake handle (it's not hooked up) in the hole to get it out of the way.
Attachments
image3.JPG
image3.JPG (118.52 KiB) Viewed 2112 times
image2.JPG
Original wood behind the bumper
image2.JPG (169.37 KiB) Viewed 2112 times
image1.JPG
image1.JPG (159.13 KiB) Viewed 2112 times

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:28 am

Hello,

Thanks for those pics !
You have a "Survivor Jeep " it appears as far as your rust free status and original paint.

Please post more and the dash area with the hole, and the exterior body .

It looks like you have a great jeep there !

The engine is post war .
The e-brake handle has been relocated, it mounts in the upper right hole in your pic.

You may be able to actually restore your jeep's original paint job, as it looks to be intact under some spray paint and
oxidation from the years in the desert !

You will be VERY surprised at how that paint will clean up with a little effort !
I use " Lube-E" lubricant oil spray cans from Ace Hardware, that is just like WD-40 but much cheaper.
Spray it on your paint in an area and rub in with a cloth or paper towel, it gets rid of the oxidation really nice.
It will look amazing, and the Lube- E stuff stays there as it dries, and keeps the paint looking great and restored for a good time.

I am also using a flat push button razor scraper to slowly scrape away old paint on top of my original paint, take it slow and easy, and it
comes off great !!
Slow and easy is the key.

Looking forward to more pics of your great jeep !

Raymond

Toyowner
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by Toyowner » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:01 am

Thanks again Ray,
The emergency brake handle is just stuck in that hole so I wouldn't lose it. There was something In the correct hole and I couldn't get it through. It'll be correct when I connect it.
The engine is actually a Willys Industrial motor, possibly from something like a forklift. I will probably use it. The transmission is a T90, and I will most likely use it too.
I have never heard of restoring paint like that. It's worth a try.

Toyowner
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by Toyowner » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:33 am

I do have more pics.
image2.JPG
image2.JPG (154.96 KiB) Viewed 2100 times
Attachments
image5.JPG
I converted modern first aid kits to WW2 versions. The small kit is WW2.
image5.JPG (119.93 KiB) Viewed 2100 times
image3.JPG
image3.JPG (157.76 KiB) Viewed 2100 times
image4.JPG
The M100 that I will pull behind the MB
image4.JPG (138.26 KiB) Viewed 2100 times

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:15 am

Hello,

Yes that engine will work fine as well as your transmission ,
Jeep looks great as well as the super nice trailer and little Dog !

You have the original bumperettes on the rear.
Likely if you are careful, you may just be able to recover the unit marking on them.
(If they are still there.)
Is there a big rack welded on the rear ?
If so carefully remove that with a grinder and a thin cutting disk, not a thick grinding disk, and wear safety glasses !!

You also have a tire foot holder as well as tire mounting disk which is a nice touch.

That paint should clean up nice, and either way , preserve the paint or repaint,
you have a jeep that is way ahead of the curve for a restoration
starting point !!!!!
Plus you have its rare original rear seat !
Your hood numbers may be on the hood still as well.

There are several good examples of people's jeeps that the old paint was restored and preserved,
here is one that I think the owner did an incredible job with !

viewtopic.php?f=96&t=242668

Here is an example of an original painted jeep that looks great !

viewtopic.php?f=96&t=242668

The owner says in the post it was repainted once by the military, wartime, and it looks so very impressive !!
It may have just been found like that, and preserved with out any other coats on top of it,
but with many jeeps, if the original paint is there, and in good shape under the layers of paint,
it can, and has been brought back.

Your jeep may be such a jeep if you choose to try that.

Keep us updated on your jeep !

Try that lube-e or WD-40 on an area and expand it out.
Post some pics of it.

I think it may clean up nicely and may be able to "restore" it to being something special.

Is that an MB or GPW block in the rear of the jeep ?
It looks like it may be, what is the number stamped on the raised oval area in the upper right side of that block ?

Ray

Toyowner
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by Toyowner » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:51 pm

That's not a rack on the Jeep. It's a rollbar from a GPW that I also own. Unfortunately, all that's holding it together is strips of rust. The body and frame are badly rusted. The frame and data plate numbers match. DOD is 3-19-42, S/N is 6527.
The engine in the back is a 1938 Willys car engine. The GPW has a Willys car engine too.
Earl.

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:06 pm

Hello,
Well that is good, it looked like it was welded on the back of the jeep !

That car engine is good to have as they will work in jeeps too,
I have a nice one in my garage that came out of a two door coupe, that is in really great shape.
The guy was making a hot rod out of the Willys, as it was the model that in the most desired as far a Willys hot rods go.
But I bought and saved the engine, and will put it in my Jeep Mb/ Station Wagon thing that I have, some day.

That early GPW sounds nice, but people do get them restored from some major deteriorated conditions !

Keep us updated, you are fortunate to have such a nice rust free jeep !!
I am going back outside to work on my original paint recovery project on my slat grill jeep.
...slow and easy !!

Ray

Return to “Jeeps used by: USMC, USN, USCG (-NO EBAY-CRAIGSLIST-COMMERCIAL SALES-)”