Were all GPW "flat-top" grills "F" marked?

Feb, 1942 - GPW1 thru end of first contract, April, 1942 - GPW15000 NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
macaddict23
G-Major General
G-Major General
Were all GPW "flat-top" grills "F" marked?

Post by macaddict23 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:19 pm

I purchased an unrestored original, and I did not see an "F" mark in the usual spot. However, the blackout wiring clips and the headlight wiring harness are the GPW style.

Thanks,
Dexter
"Originality . . . It just needs to be what it is."

mr rusty
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Re: Were all GPW "flat-top" grills "F" marked?

Post by mr rusty » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:53 pm

I presume all 'GPW' versions were 'f' marked. I have a marked one on a March 42 GPW and unmarked on a April 42 MB. Maybe yours is MB version or extremely lightly marked?

Peter

rjbeamer
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by rjbeamer » Mon May 01, 2017 4:39 pm

Dexter look at this thread. It is 11 years old and long and gets off of this topic at times but is well worth the read. I think that your question will be answered.
Look at the last post on page 4 of the thread by our host Ron. There are other posts in the thread talking about GPW's not having marks.

Roger

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=62564

macaddict23
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by macaddict23 » Wed May 03, 2017 8:31 pm

Thanks for the link, Roger!
rjbeamer wrote:Dexter look at this thread. It is 11 years old and long and gets off of this topic at times but is well worth the read. I think that your question will be answered.
Look at the last post on page 4 of the thread by our host Ron. There are other posts in the thread talking about GPW's not having marks.

Roger

"Originality . . . It just needs to be what it is."

lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Post by lt.luke » Mon May 08, 2017 1:57 pm

rjbeamer wrote:Dexter look at this thread. It is 11 years old and long and gets off of this topic at times but is well worth the read. I think that your question will be answered.

Roger

We came to the conclusion that there were a VERY FEW MBs with flat top grilles, having otherwise 100% Slat features and components. We believed that they would be one of the most rare "variants" of "standardized" G503 jeeps built. They are "Stamped grille script MB's" as we called them. Their rarity is just slightly less than the stuff made for USMC and above that of the true slat-grille jeeps.

MOST flat top grilles are Ford, and they are marked, but some very very lightly so.

Return to “VEP Ford GPW”