Who Needs New Tracks for Their Halftrack?????

Tracked, Halftrack, etc... Military Vehicles, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base

Moderator: Kevin Lockwood

StarPoint
G-Corporal
G-Corporal
Re: Who Needs New Tracks for Their Halftrack?????

Post by StarPoint » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:46 am

New Israeli Half Tracks are here in Ohio and available for immediate shipment. Their history and quality speak for themselves. I have 10 tracks total or 5 sets. One set has been sold already. One of the 5 sets is a European Version that has approx. 20 kg more per track for better life. Pricing is $2950 per track plus shipping. Please contact me at StarPointGreg@aol.com if you are interested.

I am offering these tracks to the Half Track community as I work on my own production of them. Acquiring the forged cross bars are delaying my production but everything else is going okay. We have also done some prototype molding on Stuart Tank Pads and will be testing them soon.
Attachments
Israeli Tracks.JPG
Israeli Tracks.JPG (66.77 KiB) Viewed 2721 times

G102
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by G102 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:47 am

At least we have the numbers now
Star Points IZZY set of tracks $5900.00

HAROLDS SET OF TRACKS $4990.00

Its all good for the hobbie, now there is a choice

Gary

tranham
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by tranham » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:18 pm

Very cool. Curious if the difference in Izzy tracks is just thicker or different type of rubber? If just thicker how much?

Thanks

Robert

edwin442
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by edwin442 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:35 pm

Hello,

I'm looking for Cletrac tracks and/or seperate pads.
Please PM me If you have some.

Thanks,
Edwin.
10 Ford GP series 1
5 Ford GP series 2

StarPoint
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by StarPoint » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:40 am

For those of you interested, pictures of the European style half track are attached. It is basically one large tread over each bar (removing one of the depressions in the tread pattern). It is also about .5 inches thicker for the tread section. The dimension from the centerline of the bars back to smooth bogey wheel side is unchanged. Yes it will fit on any std halftrack with no changes needed. Each track weighs about 30 more lbs due to the additional rubber. I only have one set of these available for sale. Same price as standard tracks. $2950 per track. Email me at StarPointGreg@aol.com
Attachments
Euro track 2.JPG
Euro track 2.JPG (63.99 KiB) Viewed 2395 times
Euro track 1.JPG
Euro track 1.JPG (66.53 KiB) Viewed 2395 times

Roland the Thompsongunner
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by Roland the Thompsongunner » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:15 am

I have a question about the tracks with the added thickness. Wouldn't this make the driveline (transfer case in particular) very unhappy if it was run with the front wheels engaged? That extra thickness of the track is like running two different size tires on a four wheel drive vehicle. Just curious if it affects it.

G102
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by G102 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:26 am

Your correct in my opinion.
Thats why White vehicles 8.25 X 20 Tires
and I H use 9.00 X 20 Tires
Gary

nirvana
G-Major
G-Major

Post by nirvana » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:08 am

Roland the Thompsongunner wrote:I have a question about the tracks with the added thickness. Wouldn't this make the driveline (transfer case in particular) very unhappy if it was run with the front wheels engaged? That extra thickness of the track is like running two different size tires on a four wheel drive vehicle. Just curious if it affects it.
I think so, yes. Especially so if you are on concrete. You are dragging one end of the vehicle, building up a lot of tension in the gear box. On grass or mud, it would be less of an issue, I think, but still a bad idea.

mr.nito
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by mr.nito » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:20 am

Roland the Thompsongunner wrote:I have a question about the tracks with the added thickness. Wouldn't this make the driveline (transfer case in particular) very unhappy if it was run with the front wheels engaged? That extra thickness of the track is like running two different size tires on a four wheel drive vehicle. Just curious if it affects it.

Roland,
That sounds correct to me. What would also do the same thing is larger or smaller diameter drive wheel flanges. I wonder what diameter the new drive flanges are that's coming with Harold's new tracks. We're all waiting to find out...............

G102 wrote:Your correct in my opinion.
Thats why White vehicles 8.25 X 20 Tires
and I H use 9.00 X 20 Tires
Gary
I'm glad you agree Gary. At least we're all on the same page here.

Have a nice day,
Frank

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:33 am

REMINDER:

IH G-147 Axle Ratio is 4.22:1. (9.00 X 20 TIRES)
White G-102 Axle Ratio is 4.44:1.(8.25 X 20 TIRES)
That is the reason for the difference in Front Tire Size
Both the IH,G-147 and White, DT, and Autocar, G-102 share the same Track.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by Roland the Thompsongunner » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:56 am

Ben Dover wrote:REMINDER:

IH G-147 Axle Ratio is 4.22:1. (9.00 X 20 TIRES)
White G-102 Axle Ratio is 4.44:1.(8.25 X 20 TIRES)
That is the reason for the difference in Front Tire Size
Both the IH,G-147 and White, DT, and Autocar, G-102 share the same Track.
I think that's exactly why Gary posted that because it all has to match up or else things bind and break or just wont move.

steveo916
G-Major
G-Major

Post by steveo916 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:06 am

the Israelis used these for many years so it doesn't make much sense to say these will have problems.
looks to me like this would be the best choice for someone that drives on pavement a lot. should last twice as long.
m16 halftrack

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:22 am

The ONLY concern to do with the different axle ratios in the G-102 and G-147 is the front tire size. The geometry for the track and its rolling parts is identical for both machines.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

steveo916
G-Major
G-Major

Post by steveo916 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:38 am

these .5 taller tracks will make zero difference in the geometry/ ratio.

the .5 does not change the speed of the track like it would change the tire ground speed per revolution if you installed larger or smaller tires.

in comparison to a tire. drive flanges should be considered the OD of the tire, the track would be considered the ground.
these things don't change with a taller track.

or consider a fan belt comparison. would it make your fan belt turn faster if you glued something 1/2" tall to the outside of the belt?
m16 halftrack

G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by Roland the Thompsongunner » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:42 pm

steveo916 wrote:these .5 taller tracks will make zero difference in the geometry/ ratio.

the .5 does not change the speed of the track like it would change the tire ground speed per revolution if you installed larger or smaller tires.

in comparison to a tire. drive flanges should be considered the OD of the tire, the track would be considered the ground.
these things don't change with a taller track.

or consider a fan belt comparison. would it make your fan belt turn faster if you glued something 1/2" tall to the outside of the belt?
I dont mean to disagree, but that argument does not hold up. You are correct that making a fan belt thicker wont change how fast it spins but a fan belt is touching on the inside and not the outside. The drive wheel on a half track is no different than a wheel on a truck. If you change the height of the tire, you change the number of revolutions it takes to move a certain distance. The outer circumference is different. If you take a 30inch tall wheel and wrap a tape measure around it and then measure a 33 inch tire, the taller one will have several more inches circumference and therefore will turn slower at a given mile per hour. The same is true for a track, if you took a track and glued a half inch thick piece of belting around it, I guarantee you just made the track a bigger circumferance and therefore it will rotate slower at a given mph speed. It cant turn the same speed if it has more inches to cover for one revolution. It may not make enough of a difference here if run on dirt and I agree it will certainly last longer if road driven, but it may cause havoc on the drivetrain on paved road. Ask anyone who ever tried different gear ratios at one time or differnent size tires on a four wheel drive. Lots of broken pieces on pavement.

Return to “Tracked”