Iowa Willys MB Project

If you have an unrestored WWII jeep, we would like to see pictures, and hear your comments. NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
CharlieGPW
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Re: Iowa Willys MB Project

Post by CharlieGPW » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:21 am

very interesting, it would be great to get a better pic of the rebuild plate as I've not seen one like that before. Have you got any further pics of the Jeep which show the overall condition, engine etc? What are the plans for it?

Newdriver
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Newdriver » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:08 am

Such an interesting find and story! Those with an interest in British Army jeeps may want to join the British Army Jeep Research (BAJR, pronounced "Badger") group on Facebook, check the website www.britishjeep.com or look at the pictures on the Flickr account linked on the site.

The group is 700-member strong, informal and very friendly. Over the past three years (that long, already?) we have collected many hundred pictures, gathered information on a couple of thousand YH and YJ registered jeeps and produced a free downloadable PDF guide to the salient features of WW2 British Army jeeps. We are looking to expand this to cover postwar jeeps and - the hardest of all - RAF and RN jeeps as well.

The group is free, so everyone is welcome to join at any time. We do encourage information sharing, which means we would be quite happy to see the archive card for 91 YH 98 or any other former British jeep, whether in the UK, US, Norway (where many ended up after service in Germany), Greece (yes, with transfers well into the Fifties) or anywhere else.

And above all ... enjoy the jeep!

Gregory
MB 377048, DoD est. 4 October 1944
US Army 1944-1946, Italian Police 1946-1959, civil-registered since 1962

MadCoLars
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by MadCoLars » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:11 pm

Got the engine bay hosed off so I can work on it and pulled the Jeep into the shop. Started removing wiring from the aftermarket turn signals (instant gratification) and pulled the driver seat so I could get to the fuel tank. Results aren't pretty. POR15 isn't saving this one!! In the market for a tank and fuel lines.

Sump has rust along with the floor and tub side where they all meet. Not ready to pull the body and deal with that just yet. May POR15 the sump for now to get me by until I do body repairs. Thoughts from others who have dealt with this?
Attachments
Tank 1.jpeg
Houston, we have a problem.
Tank 1.jpeg (239.57 KiB) Viewed 2324 times
Tank 2.jpeg
It's a goner.
Tank 2.jpeg (218.83 KiB) Viewed 2324 times
Tank sump.jpeg
Fuel tank sump with rust, any time you can see the floor things aren't good. Is that piece of square tubing with angle cut ends a factory piece? It was under the tank support next to the transmission hump.
Tank sump.jpeg (203.99 KiB) Viewed 2324 times

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:57 pm

Hello,
Wow that is toast !
Definitely need a new tank for the jeep.
I think there is only one manufacturer out there as of now that makes the tanks that are around.
The quality appearance is hit and miss, I just bought one online, that looks like it was poorly made and hand reworked.
It is brand new, I am sending it back.
I hear that Joe's Motor pool will be making new tanks in the future, how soon I do not know.
But hopefully soon !!
There other products that I recently bought are FIRST class in every measure !!!!
I can not stress that enough !!
I bought some F script brackets, doorway straps, plug wires, man they are great !!!!
Also, there have been ZERO high quality reproduction OEM style speedometers available, until now, and are made by them !
I bought a Slat grill one and it looks absolutely perfect, and sure beats buying a $1,000 original, that I don't have, then having it restored.
This thing looks like perfection ! (under $200 :D )

Ron is carrying their product line, and if he gets their gas tanks I will buy one from him.

If it says Joe's Motor Pool on a part, you can take that it to the bank, it is first class all the way, a perfect match .
I think the company is based in England, and has agents based in the USA for parts and product development !!

We are very lucky that they have come along :D , and their parts are very reasonably priced :D

Ray

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:11 pm

Hello Charlie,

I will try to clean up the big plate, as it has paint on it and is a thin plate.
Once I get a better pic I will send it to Madcolars , and if he doesn't mind he can post it.

I plan to restore the jeep, as I think it may well be a Desert Rat survivor :D It needs a full restoration.
I will get more pics, and of the recently found REME GPW engine, but it is sort of blocked in where it is located . Hopefully in next week or 2,
will roll all the jeeps out when I pour the concrete floor in my jeep barn that I have been building away on !

It is nice to have these many British Jeep images on this post of Madcolars , with his great British Jeep survivor of many years in Iowa !!!
A resource rich post for certain, contributing to our knowledge base, on these important historic vehicles.

Best Regards,

Ray

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:27 pm

Hello Gregory,

You have an excellent website on British jeeps !!
I see a picture of 2 jeeps with snow on them, with hood number M6078963 under immediate post war Jeeps.
My 91 YH 98 is M6078995, a 32 jeep difference !
On my Data Key Card, it lists another jeep M6078978, (a 15 jeep difference) and M6079077, plus a few RN Royal Navy Jeeps.
I would be happy to send you an email copy of the Key card for your website, it has a lot of interesting info for many jeeps on it.
You can PM me you email, and I will send it your way.

I also find it interesting that the same hand writing appears on many different key cards, Madcolars and my card, so the same soldier or 2 must have been assigned the duty to keep these records so well updated !!!

Ray
USA

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:36 pm

Hello Madcolars !

Thanks for posting the pics of my British jeep on your excellent thread !!
I was looking at your gas tank pictures, and notice that it appears there is a felt pad where the seat back contacts the wheel well ?
I have one on my passenger side wheel well, so if that is what you have there, that may be yet another British Jeep feature discovery !!
Also are the factory fire extinguisher bracket bolt holes on the body side wall, to the left of the clutch, welded up ?

Best Regards,

Ray

mrbill
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by mrbill » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:57 am

MadCoLars

I don't know how you feel about original vs. reproduction, but if the top of the tank is solid you might consider having it rebuilt. See this topic: Gas Tank Repair by Moyer with jpgs I took my original OLACO to Moyer and, unfortunately, after boiling it out and cleaning it up there were so many pin holes in it that it wasn't able to be repaired - and they didn't charge me a dime for their time. Nice folks and worth considering in my opinion.

Bill
1945 Ford GPW 268739 from the Dallas, TX plant.

MadCoLars
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by MadCoLars » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:46 pm

Bill, I'm still sorting out my end game for this Jeep. No intent of doing a full restoration, possibly a motor pool restoration, possibly unrestored original. At this point trying to get it running and driving using parts that are original design replacements. The fuel tank had numerous holes on all sides and is definitely scrap. Looking at a reproduction tank from an online dealer. Likely going to buy a complete set of fuel lines although I have read about guys running a line straight forward from the tank directly to the fuel pump in lieu of across and up to the strainer and then back down and over to the pump. New factory style lines seems more correct and is probably my path. Currently missing one section and two others have been cut so not realistic to save the original lines. At least I should have a reliable fuel system with all the new parts.

MadCoLars
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by MadCoLars » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:53 am

Ray, I looked quickly last night for the felt at the driver seat/wheel tub mount and didn't see any. I also looked for remnants of holes for a FE mount near the clutch and didn't see anything obvious there either. I included a photo, but it is hard to see much. While snooping around I did find that all three of my seats have Ford stampings. Noticed earlier that the dipstick has a Ford stamp, but the engine is Willys. Definitely a mix of parts in this British Jeep (Willys frame and engine, composite tub with Ford tool box lids and seats). So when ordering parts is there a "correct" process of whether to buy MB or GPW parts for this mixed together rig?
Attachments
IMG_7427.JPG
No apparent FE holes
IMG_7427.JPG (228.41 KiB) Viewed 2231 times
Seat front.JPG
Driver seat - Ford stamp
Seat front.JPG (239.1 KiB) Viewed 2231 times
Seat rear.JPG
Back seat - Ford stamp
Seat rear.JPG (202.83 KiB) Viewed 2231 times

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:56 am

Hello ,

Great pics !
That is interesting, you likely have a complete GPW body , with a Willys MB frame and running gear.
My British jeep is a Willys MB, with a GPW frame, and I found a REME GPW engine that I think was in it.
The exact opposite, thats pretty funny :D

I do not have any holes for the fire extinguisher on the side wall, but barely feel the spots where they were welded up.
It is hard to even tell, as they did a good job.

The felt pad looks like it is there in your pic ....
On your picture looking down on your gas tank well, from above, look to the right, on the slope of the wheel well,
that looks like some small rectangular padding right there, with some dirt resting on it edge, and you can see where the
seat back tube rail pressed against it.

You will be pleased if you try spraying some WD-40, I use Ace Hardware Lube-E, as it is half the price and does a better job, on the paint
and rubbing it with a rag or paper towels.
Your paint may clean up to a very nice patina to give it a nice historic look.
I have surprised myself doing that and how nice it comes out !!!!
Put in on a few times to let it restore the paint. The Lube-E remains on it when it dries and gives a nice finish, while you work on getting the
jeep running.

Also try the windshield, on the outside the Brits usually had unit marking painted there, lower left and right sides.
If you can find that you will have a great actual history of your jeep to build on !!

Do you or your relatives have any family pics of the jeep being used on the farm in the old days ?

Keep us posted !!!

Ray

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:07 am

Hello ,

As for the fuel lines and system, I would go ahead replace all fuel lines and get the correct reproduction set
from Ron or if he doesn't have them another supplier. They come with all the mounting clips and padding for the lines where they attach.
Ron also carries the new fuel strainer bowls and inside strainer for it. they are usually rotted out from the inside.

You will be pleased to have it all run correctly with a new tank and have no future issues once it is done.

I am doing the same with another one of my jeeps, once I get the new tank returned and replaced.

Ray

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:09 am

Hello,

I see now that that Padding on the wheel well is actually just the metal piece there,
sorry for the confusion on my part, optical illusion !!

Ray

MadCoLars
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by MadCoLars » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:09 am

Did some work on the Willys over the weekend. Goal was go through the remaining fuel system components to make sure I had what I needed to get it going. Fuel strainer was bad as expected, fuel pump looked salvageable, but it appears to be a replacement pump. I ended up ordering a replacement pump from Joe's Motor Pool as the cost of a correct style pump is not much more than a rebuild kit. Had been soaking the spark plugs with penetrating oil for weeks now. One plug looked to have quite a bit of rust and apparent missing metal. I was prepared for the worst and was rewarded with a broken spark plug!! Decided to pull the head to fix that and it would give me a chance to check the cylinder bore and valve condition. Bores looked better than expected, but the exhaust valve seats where the valve was open looked pretty rough. One valve appears to have a bit of damage. Pondering pulling the valves and cleaning them up. I have never pulled a valve from a flat head motor. Will need to borrow or buy the right tool for the valve springs. So much for a little wrenching and getting this old girl running. Investing in more upgrades and parts now should end up with a better product in the long run.
Attachments
IMG_7487.JPG
Head removed - Bores better than expected
IMG_7487.JPG (231.68 KiB) Viewed 2127 times
IMG_7488.JPG
Pitted exhaust seat and valve from being open
IMG_7488.JPG (192.65 KiB) Viewed 2127 times
IMG_7489.JPG
Bad intake valve
IMG_7489.JPG (206.1 KiB) Viewed 2127 times
IMG_7472.JPG
Fuel strainer
IMG_7472.JPG (226.67 KiB) Viewed 2127 times

MadCoLars
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by MadCoLars » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:57 am

Bought a vintage Craftsman flat head valve spring compressor off eBay. Also decided to pull the motor and have new seats, valves, and guides installed. Might as well freshen it up so it runs well once together. Planning to paint the engine components and engine bay while the motor is out. Just need some time in the shop to tear everything down. Will be easier to do some work on other parts of the jeep with the motor out. Hopefully I don't find too many more "surprises" during the teardown.

Return to “Original Unrestored WWII Jeeps”