1942 GPW #17405 (pic heavy)

If you have an unrestored WWII jeep, we would like to see pictures, and hear your comments. NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
cevensky
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Re: 1942 GPW #17405 (pic heavy)

Post by cevensky » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:18 pm

Ideas NEEDED.
So as you can all see above, somehow, someway, my rear diff torqued off the end of the RH short axle shaft.
It's not just difficult to get out of the gears, it's stuck. Only wiggles back and forth about 1/16" where it normally sits in the gears.
I've tried pushing it out in various ways and with great force and it's stuck such that I can't get the gears out.
I'm kinda mad since it's almost legal :(

cevensky
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

1942 GPW #17405 (pic heavy)

Post by cevensky » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:16 pm

Rewired a bit while installing dash lights and now my head lights work! Here's some up close shots of the piece of axle shaft stuck in my rear diff too:
Image this is as far pushed out as I can get the chunk:
ImageImage

Ralph
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Ralph » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:30 am

Cevensky,
For being only 20,you're doing great-especially while in school.
To get that broken piece of axle out-can't tell if you've pulled the other axle & gear set yet but that's first...some disassembly/clean & remove shrapnel,etc...follow the manual and check the housing for cracks,the spiders,ring & pinion,all of it-sure could have hurt something else,I'm afraid.Good luck.Sure have nice bright lights with the 12V...
Ralph

cevensky
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by cevensky » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:18 pm

Thanks Ralph!
I've pulled out the other axle but the gear set is held in nice and tight by that big chunk of axle. Can't get it to budge even with a lot of leverage.
I've inspected gears and housing pretty well, seems the only problem is all the shavings in the axle tube, which I'll blow out when I get this chunk out so that they don't wear down any gears!
Thanks for th advice!

cevensky
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by cevensky » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:09 pm

Well after getting things sorted out, I had to get myself a new clutch disk and pressure plate. In addition, I'll soon have to pull my transmission since it's started a grinding/rattle in 2nd and 3rd that sounds exactly like what a few on the forum have had. A cluster gear issue I believe.
I'll have to save that for another break I guess, along with getting the contact bushing on my steering right.

For now, at least it looks good! Birthday present was canvas from Beachwood.

https://vimeo.com/197480713

Return to “Original Unrestored WWII Jeeps”