Found the 45 willys mb from my childhood

If you have an unrestored WWII jeep, we would like to see pictures, and hear your comments. NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
black04lj
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class
Found the 45 willys mb from my childhood

Post by black04lj » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:04 pm

I found the jeep i fell in love with at the age of 9. It was at my dads friends garage when i was little and was his moms jeep. She got it when her brother passed away, she would never part with it because it was the last thing she had that was his. It had a snow plow and a hard top. It had been painted with a brush dark blue and had been wraped with new steel due to body rust.
Well time passed and my dad passed away. I lost touch with his friend but I never stopped thinking about that jeep. I would drive by the house from time to time to see if anyone was there. Long story short I had started building a 43 mb from parts becuse of the memory of that jeep in the garage. My wife went to an antique mall and notoiced a for sale ad for a 45 willys mb. She took down the info and brought it home. I told my friend about it due to no funds or space for another project but he wanted me to go with him to look at it.
We went to look at it and i realized that it was the same jeep! The top was gone along with the blade and the steel was removed showing the body rust. My dads friends mom had passed and he traded a backhoe for the jeep. I ended up selling my motorcycle and went back and bought the jeep now the 43 is for sale and the tinkering has started on the 45.
Here are some pictures
Last edited by black04lj on Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

1/321FA
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Re: Found the 45 willys mb from my childhood

Post by 1/321FA » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:32 pm

Fantastic find. Look forward to the restore. Now you have something really special.
101ST Airborne B 1/321FA 76-78. 1st Armoured Divison B 2/78FA 78-80

David McElreath
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by David McElreath » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:53 pm

What a great find!!!!!

Beers
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Beers » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:46 pm

Great story! Looking forward to seeing more of it.

Post some #'s too. Looks like the data plate is missing, but let us know the frame, engine, tub, etc...
1943 MB 213301 DOD 2-22-43

black04lj
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by black04lj » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:38 pm

Serial number on title and frame number are MB402441, tub number is 172437, I will have to get the engine number but it has a supersonic head on it so the head at least is not orignal. Also i have two of the original combat wheels, the motor runs well and trans and t- case work in all ranges. I cant wait to begin the restore but money is tight untill the 43 sells and even then i think I will do a little at a time so I can drive it while I am fixing it up.

Ralph
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Ralph » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:16 am

Good for you,a cool ending and a new start..best of luck,thanks for the pics,keep them coming...
Ralph

black04lj
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by black04lj » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:42 am

Well I got the brakes to work and I got it registered and insured. It was great to drive it down the road. It has alot of play in the steering and it pulls to the left when you brake. Also the oil pressure shows low when you get it warm. Next things are a valve adjustment, a carb rebuild and possibly pulling the pan and checking bearing clearances. I did get to take it to the D day renactment car show they have local to me in Conneaut Oh, and took it to a local car show.

Return to “Original Unrestored WWII Jeeps”