Fat Albert's '43 MB 217048 Project Thread

If you have an unrestored WWII jeep, we would like to see pictures, and hear your comments. NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
Fat Albert
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Re: Fat Albert's '43 MB 217048 Project Thread

Post by Fat Albert » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:27 pm

Thanks Nick! Actually me and the dog are gearing up for duck season! Can't wait... Just wish I had the jeep finished and I could pile the dog and gear in there.
Dutch
My New Midlife Crisis
43 Willys MB217048
DoD March 8, 1943
Project Thread: viewtopic.php?f=96&t=202295" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:29 pm

Fat Albert wrote:Thanks Nick! Actually me and the dog are gearing up for duck season! Can't wait... Just wish I had the jeep finished and I could pile the dog and gear in there.
Hey Dutch, good to see you checking in. Work's been keeping me busy as well. My trip went south and I finally recovered my money...whew! I was really looking forward to getting out your way, but it just didn't happen. The weather finally broke here last week and we are done with our 100 degree days now until next year...finally. Anyway, we all hit the wall one way or the other on our projects. You'll get recharged and before you know it you'll be back at it before you know it. 8)

Take care,
Zeph

'42 Script GPW Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

'41 Dodge WC16 Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

Fat Albert

Post by Fat Albert » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:09 pm

I'm sorry to hear the trip didn't work out Zeph... it would have been a trip of a lifetime for sure... but I am glad to hear you were able to recoup your funds. Now THAT would have really been a bummer if you'd lost the trip AND the funds!

On a jeep note... my wife sold her Navigator a couple weeks ago (terrible gas mileage) and can't find anything she likes to replace it with. I told her I'd get the jeep going and she could drive it! For some reason she wasn't all that enthused! I think it had something to do with no heater or ac. Women... go figure. :roll:
Dutch
My New Midlife Crisis
43 Willys MB217048
DoD March 8, 1943
Project Thread: viewtopic.php?f=96&t=202295" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fat Albert

Post by Fat Albert » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:42 am

Well... After a year I am finally posting again. I want to say thank you to Nick Peters for giving me the much needed swift kick in the rear and encouragement to get back in here. I have been very busy this past year (too bad that does not translate into big money nor a completed jeep. :( ) and have not had time to touch my poor neglected MB other than just a pat as I passed by. It still sits scattered in and around my shop in about a thousand pieces. My shop is in a state of complete disarray after a year of neglect and piling things in it. It needs a huge clean out once more! I have however rounded up a commercial air compressor and sandblaster and hope to get started on MB217048 soon! I spent last night pouring over your threads and trying to catch up. Zeph, your jeep is looking great! I haven't found Vito's yet... nor Michaels. I did see where Adam had taken his thread down. Bummer... I always enjoyed following him too! So here we go again. Hopefully I'll get some pics of progress up soon!

Regards,
Dutch
Dutch
My New Midlife Crisis
43 Willys MB217048
DoD March 8, 1943

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:04 pm

Dude! Welcome back!! Good to hear from you, Dutch. Yes, still plugging along on my project GPW. I have a new job which sucks up about 60 hours of my time each week this past year, so time is my biggest enemy of lately. Anyway, get into the shop and get that thing cleaned up and functioning again. Now that you have a compressor and sandblaster, you should be in business to get after ol' MB217048. :)

Regards,
Zeph

'42 Script GPW Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

'41 Dodge WC16 Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

sawbuck
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by sawbuck » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:28 am

Keep them wrenches turnin'. A daunting project to say the least.
Say, when you get your welder you should tack in some temporary steel bracing across the tub. That way it won't flop out of square when you get to doing the sheet metal surgery. Good Luck

sutts
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by sutts » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:59 am

Nice project Dutch, I'll be watching with interest. Only 6255 away from my MB.
We're at a similar stage in the restoration process with similar demands on our time. I've had plenty of nightmares with rusty bolts too - breaks my heart to ruin nice original bolts but it's just one of those things.
I thought my spring bushes were stuck until I bought a 36" breaker bar - they moved real good with that!

Keep plodding away and the rewards will come soon enough.

Please keep a record of any bolt head markings you find. I'm compiling a list of marked bolts for MBs and any contributions, however small would be much appreciated.
I'm especially interested to learn what markings you found on your remaining hood hinge bolts please.

Please keep the pictures coming, I love reading threads like yours. Must start one myself......

Cheers,

Dave
GPW 68744 29-Sep-42
GPW 123050 01-Jun-43
MB 210793 11-Feb-43

Ralph
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Ralph » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:45 am

Dutch,
Welcome back.Nothing wrong with taking care of life's business-makes the jeep time sweeter....the new compressor/blaster will move things along....I thought you'd get tired of the wire wheel rig/flapper disc after a while,I sure did-(though they have their uses)..but most of us have been there.
Ralph

Dave M38A1

Post by Dave M38A1 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:51 am

Been watching this post with interest. Well written, looking toward more posts. My restorations take a long time as I work full time. This post keeps me motivated to keep working on my stuff. Isn't saving history fun? Keep working at it. I figure every time I work on my projects, I'm that much closer to finishing.
Keep up the good work, your time invested is what makes the project a part of you.

Thanks for taking the time to post your progress.

Dave
Dave M38A1
1953 M38A1
1964 USMC M38A1
M274 A5 Mule (Pepe')
64 CJ5
97 TJ Wrangler (Son's Ride)

Fat Albert

Post by Fat Albert » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:55 am

Thanks guys... I appreciate all the encouragement!

Sutts... Do you know any of the history of your MB? I can't find anything other than manufacture date on mine. Sure wish I could have found some numbers but my jeeps' Bubba was thorough if nothing else! I've not noticed anything on any bolt heads yet... I was looking for the famous "F" marks but so far have not turned any up.

Saw bucks I got a welder... still not very proficient with it. I put a 2x6 brace in the tub when I got it off. What can I say? II'm more of a carpenter type guy... metal is new to me! Not sure if I posted that before or not... been awhile back.

And Zeph... 60 hour work weeks and you still got your jeep to that stage?! You are definitely THE MAN! Keep up the good work... I'm slowly following in your footsteps... or tire tracks!
Dutch
My New Midlife Crisis
43 Willys MB217048
DoD March 8, 1943

thidisbogus
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by thidisbogus » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:10 pm

Good to see you back Dutch. I have been following your thread since you started too. Like Nick said, we all have been in a spot where you are due to funding or time.

Fat Albert

Post by Fat Albert » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:47 am

Ain't it funny Rodney, how when you have time you don't have money... but when you have money you don't have time?! I thing the gig is rigged!
Dutch
My New Midlife Crisis
43 Willys MB217048
DoD March 8, 1943

VitoCapo

Post by VitoCapo » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:48 am

Don't feel too bad man, my Jeep sat for somewhere around 3 months just waiting on shipping an engine back and forth. After that major money dump she sat another 4 months till I could afford anything up to and including gas :)

Nice to see you back at it though! I'm pretty much as "done" as I'm going to be for awhile with winter setting in. I have a funky noise coming from my driveshaft/parking brake/??? otherwise she's good. I haven't updated my thread in awhile, maybe I'll go take some more pictures this week so I have something to post. viewtopic.php?f=96&t=194049

get that shop cleaned up and you'll get motivated to swing the ol' ratchet around. Good to see you back again!!!

sutts
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by sutts » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:35 am

Fat Albert wrote: Sutts... Do you know any of the history of your MB? I can't find anything other than manufacture date on mine. Sure wish I could have found some numbers but my jeeps' Bubba was thorough if nothing else! I've not noticed anything on any bolt heads yet... I was looking for the famous "F" marks but so far have not turned any up.
Similar experience Dutch - my paint was taken back to bare metal at some point before the Navy grey was applied - all numbers long gone. They did a proper job though with a nice yellow-green zinc chromate layer first which has kept the body pretty much rust free. However, there is a stencil on the grill with a number and the name "NAS Point Mugu" which is a Naval Air Station in California (I think!). The jeep is yellow which I guess points to a "follow me jeep" role but whether this was in wartime or postwar I have no idea.

I drool when I see original hood numbers revealed.

Cheers,

Dave
GPW 68744 29-Sep-42
GPW 123050 01-Jun-43
MB 210793 11-Feb-43

Fat Albert

Post by Fat Albert » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:08 pm

sutts wrote:
I drool when I see original hood numbers revealed.

Cheers,

Dave
I know what you mean! Turn absolutley GREEN with envy!
Dutch
My New Midlife Crisis
43 Willys MB217048
DoD March 8, 1943

Return to “Original Unrestored WWII Jeeps”