Zeph's '42 Ford GPW

Create a thread to track the progress of you MB/GPW restoration progress. Previously a General Discussion board.
zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Zeph's '42 Ford GPW

Post by zepher11 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:10 pm

Hi everyone,

PLEASE NOTE: I HAD USED PHOTOBUCKET (PB) TO HOST MY PHOTOS AS THEY WERE A THIRD PARTY HOSTING SITE, BUT NOW THEY THINK THEY CAN HOLD THOSE OF US THAT USED THEIR SITE HOSTAGE TO OUR PHOTOS. IF ONE SEES THE "THIRD PARTY" HOSTING IMAGE FROM PB RIGHT CLICK ON THAT IMAGE IN SELECT "OPEN IMAGE IN NEW TAB" TO SEE THE PHOTO. OF COURSE YOU WILL HAVE TO WARD OFF THE BARRAGE OF PB AD POP UPS TO SEE THE PHOTO, BUT THAT IS THE ONLY WAY. SADLY, THAT IS THE WAY OF THE WORLD AND THE WORK AROUND AS OF 7/2/2017. SAD TO HAVE SITES HOLD MY PHOTOS AS RANSOM NOWADAYS, BUT THAT IS THE WAY OF THE CLOUD WORLD.

I STARTED USING THE G503 PHOTO HOSTING ON AUGUST 11, 2013, SO MY THREAD HAS PHOTOS STARTING ON PAGE 45.

UPDATE!!! If you use Google Chrome install this fix and you will now be able to see all of the photos on this thread: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... j?hl=en-GB

I just purchased a 1942 Ford GPW this past Wednesday (August 10, 2011). And to give you an idea how much I knew about WWII jeeps, I didn't even know what a GPW or MB was until this past Wednesday! I just considered them all jeeps. However, I have quickly corrected the errors of my ways! I have always been a world war II buff and minor collector of WWII militaria, but I never ever thought I would own an authentic WWII vehicle! I am really excited that this deal worked out for me. I am already addicted to these vehicles in just a few short days, and I am happy someone mentioned this site and recommended that I post some pictures. Therefore, I will attempt to post some in a moment.

The gent that I purchased the GPW from tossed in a rugged WWII willys jeep, a couple of engines and tons of parts that I will need to figure out what they are exactly. But I have already learned that the bag of "f" bolts should be held on to. My GPW's serial number is: 23515 and shows a delivery date of 5-1-42.

I will list a couple of immediate questions for suggestions and comments that I have before I try to post pictures.

The body is pretty rugged, but the number on the frame matches the number on the body as well as matching the data plate on the glove box. My question is, when one contemplates restoring this piece of history, what is the preferred way to straighten all the body panels? Is it taboo in the MV collecting world to use body filler or just leave it as is? A number of supports below are rotted out on the body as well. Would it just be best to purchase a whole new body and replace, or would that ruin the value due to the matching numbers body/frame connection? After surveying the body, it really seems like replacing the whole thing would be the best option, but if preserving the original body is the way to go, I would like to figure out how one would deal with the zillions of ripples and dents on every square inch of the GPW. Also there is welded angle iron over both door sills. This cab be seen in the seventh photo. These sectuibs would be difficult to cut out and restore as well.

Last question. Someone told me that it was good that I have the "ford" script on the rear panel, however some "bonehead" welded the trailer hitch plate over the last letter! I think I have a picture that I will include. The panel's not in stellar shape either, but I was wondering if anyone has a suggestion on how to save the panel or is it not worth the effort?

Okay enough rambling... :lol: Thanks for looking and comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Photos:

A couple of shots of the GPW after I drove it home. That was fun:

Some close ups of the body panels:

Close up of the welded over "ford" script:

Here's one of the welded on bumber:

Here's one of the willys MB:

Here are some of the extra parts I received:

Well, that's it for now. I hope this first post of mine works out as intended and thanks for looking!

I lied, here is one more of the interior. The guy I bought it from built the gas tank:

Zeph
Last edited by zepher11 on Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:05 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Zeph

'42 Script GPW Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

'41 Dodge WC16 Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

macaddict23
G-Major General
G-Major General
Re: Zepher's new(to me) '42 Ford GPW

Post by macaddict23 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:52 pm

Congrats, and welcome to the Gee! Those are nice looking Jeeps! I'll let the real experts chime in, but if you had to only keep one, definitely the Ford "Script" GPW. Yes, it has some body issues here and there, but I've seen people here start out with a lot worst.
Last edited by macaddict23 on Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Originality . . . It just needs to be what it is."

horrocks
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by horrocks » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:17 am

2 and 2 half jeeps for the price of one... :?

It looks like a no brainer. If you think that tub is bad.....

Under NO circumstances change that tub..... :twisted:

Apart from the unique history you have there, the modern replacements are a pandoras box of problems.
Toby

Willys MB 3/13/42 127415
Willys MB 1/9/45 404620

918jeeper
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by 918jeeper » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:02 am

That's a nice looking GPW! Like the others said Absolutely do not replace the body with a repro. Don't take the easy route and replace things with repro stuff unless you have to. What about the engine? Is it numbers matching? More pics of the under carriage, data plates, etc.

Take your time and immerse yourself with all the knowledge this site has to offer. Believe me you can do it! I did and I had never restored a vehicle in my life.

Congrats and good luck! :)
1945 Willys MB

My Restoration Thread
viewtopic.php?f=96&t=132906" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thidisbogus
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by thidisbogus » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:29 pm

Zepher,

Congratulations! Welcome to the G. Looks like you have a pretty complete jeep there. Those script jeeps are pretty rare so you should take the other guy's advice and keep it. If it were me, I would use absolute bare minimum filler on your repairs. If you have some dings or minor dents, it adds to the original character of the jeep. Remember, unless you are doing a factory class restoration, the motorpool guys in the field didn't care about or have filler (correct me if I am wrong) so the vast majority of WW2 jeeps in service had dings here and there.

Post some more pictures of your engine bay area. What is too bad to see is all that bright new looking wiring in there. It looks like bubba has been busy with his custom harness work.

You will want to procure some good historical books to aid in your research and restoration. They are:
All American Wonder Volumes 1 and 2 by Ray Cowdery
WW2 Jeep Guidebook by Ren Bernier
The Military Jeep by Lawrence Nabholtz (rare and out of print, but available now and then on here)
Copies of the TM's (Technical Manual) from WW2. I believe JeepDraw has some in soft copy for free.

jeepfinger
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by jeepfinger » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:28 pm

Hi Zeph,
Welcome to the Gee :D Nice pair of Jeeps you have there, plus loads of spares :D
zepher11 wrote:but the number on the frame matches the number on the body as well as matching the data plate on the glove box.
As far as i know pure Ford tubs don't have a tub number, Willys and Composite tubs do.
Regards,
Dave
Dave Boocock
GPW 41158 June 19 1942
Bantam T3 9555 1/11/1943 USA 0258448
BSA WDM20 Sept 1940 C4343114

Oilleaker1
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Oilleaker1 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:56 pm

Ditto, fix the tub. Not too bad actually. You're going to read more history about and surrounding that Jeep than you ever emagined. It will fixate in your mind and be a piece of history you drive/play with. I've never had anyone say------" what a piece of crap ". Very special to me. Welcome and enjoy. It's just a little Jeep. You can do this. The guys here will bend over and touch their toes to help you. Great place. You will learn more here than anywhere. You did the right thing. :wink: John
Automotive Archeology

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:13 pm

Thanks for all the great comments. Sorry for the delay in getting back to everyone. Our power was out most of Saturday and Sunday and then I had to travel out of town today. I did have time to crawl all over the the GPW and there are quite a few rotted out supports which from reading appear to be in the usual spots. I also was able to get some pictures of the underside of the GPW before I left. I will try to post them tomorrow when I get a chance.

I looked over just a fraction of 918jeeper's thread on his rebuild. I wasn't sure if I was inspired or demoralized... :lol: Awesome job and excellent documentation there! Actually I am stoked to get to work and preserve the original tub. I have a lot of research to do before I start, but I am excited to eventually get to work. Plus I want to drive it around a little before I get into it. Then I can get an idea of the improvement when I'm done.

Again, thanks for all the comments. This is a great site. Additional pictures to follow...

Zeph
Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:28 pm

Here are some pictures of the underside of the GPW. I imagine that this would be pretty standard damage on a jeep of this vintage. It looks like a lot of work, but I would hope that any floor/tub pans I find will remedy a number of issues underneath. Here are some pictures:

Left front behind front tire:

Cross support left side:

Cross support middle:

Right side looking torward left front:

I think this is the passenger side middle support and what I believe may be the original tailpipe hanger?:

Rear support, well sort of:

Fender support right front:

Right front fender to body bolts and rottage:

Left front fender to body bolts and rottage:

Hopefully the pictures come out well. Thanks for looking!

Zeph
Zeph

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:10 am

Zeph.....first, just take an inventory of everything and write down any Ford/Willys markings and all numbers you find. Then....toss a tarp over everything and read as much on the Tech Board as you can and take some notes on the LONG project threads some of the guys have on that board and on the GPW or MB forums.

What I think you will get is that you are facing a frame-off restoration on the pick of the litter...which is probably the GPW....you might find that the motor in it is from an M-38 and the block you have in the other photo is numbered to that GPW!....a matching numbers GPW (frame/data plate/motor) is the Trifecta of restorations and adds trememdous collector value to a restored jeep.

I agree the tub is in rough shape, but you or a new-to-be-friend with welding and panel beating talent can replace the worst of it and get that thing looking Inspection Ready....buying a repop tub is north of $2,000 or so and even them requires some tuning up to get it right. So if you sold your GPW tub for $500-$750 +/- you would still be out $1,500 and for about that you should be able to get that original tub in ship-shape condition.

A careful inventory assignment of stuff you need and stuff you can sell/trade is critical. Trading the correct genny or radiator or something is much more cost effective that having to buy one outright. So you need to hit the books to determine what the 5/1/42 GPW came with as I feel it is worthy of a Restored Class restoration. others may feel different.

Don't be in a hurry! If you are in Northern/Central California, then you need to go to Tower Park/Lodi KOA on Hwy. 12 west of I-5 for the MVCC Fall meet...take a camera and take about 1,000 pics of the best restorations there and TALK to the guys. Most are very willing to share info and then be sure to join the MVCC on-site so you are in the loop for parades, swap meets, and a chance to help others who will return the favor when you need it.

The parts tables there are also a great place to take pics and....you should meet Ron Fitzpatrick and his staff in person as you will soon be needing to buy things and he's got the stuff you will need..

Good Luck!
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:07 pm

Chuck Lutz wrote:Zeph.....first, just take an inventory of everything and write down any Ford/Willys markings and all numbers you find. Then....toss a tarp over everything and read as much on the Tech Board as you can and take some notes on the LONG project threads some of the guys have on that board and on the GPW or MB forums.

What I think you will get is that you are facing a frame-off restoration on the pick of the litter...which is probably the GPW....you might find that the motor in it is from an M-38 and the block you have in the other photo is numbered to that GPW!....a matching numbers GPW (frame/data plate/motor) is the Trifecta of restorations and adds trememdous collector value to a restored jeep.

I agree the tub is in rough shape, but you or a new-to-be-friend with welding and panel beating talent can replace the worst of it and get that thing looking Inspection Ready....buying a repop tub is north of $2,000 or so and even them requires some tuning up to get it right. So if you sold your GPW tub for $500-$750 +/- you would still be out $1,500 and for about that you should be able to get that original tub in ship-shape condition.

A careful inventory assignment of stuff you need and stuff you can sell/trade is critical. Trading the correct genny or radiator or something is much more cost effective that having to buy one outright. So you need to hit the books to determine what the 5/1/42 GPW came with as I feel it is worthy of a Restored Class restoration. others may feel different.

Don't be in a hurry! If you are in Northern/Central California, then you need to go to Tower Park/Lodi KOA on Hwy. 12 west of I-5 for the MVCC Fall meet...take a camera and take about 1,000 pics of the best restorations there and TALK to the guys. Most are very willing to share info and then be sure to join the MVCC on-site so you are in the loop for parades, swap meets, and a chance to help others who will return the favor when you need it.

The parts tables there are also a great place to take pics and....you should meet Ron Fitzpatrick and his staff in person as you will soon be needing to buy things and he's got the stuff you will need..

Good Luck!
Chuck, thanks for the advice. I've been starting to go over some of the project threads for inspiration. I can't tell you how nice that is to have at one's finger tips. As far as the engine goes, the fella I bought the GPW had the original engine, but it craked a cylinder and he put in a willys engine. He tossed the engine a long time ago, so no trifecta... :cry:

I now am planning on keeping the original tub and work on replacing the rotted areas. I have a mig, and as they say, I know how to use it... :) I think I will need to locate a plasma cutter, however. I have always wated one and this project might just be the catalyst I have been looking for to push me in to acquiring one.

I will be taking my time and putting in a lot of time researching before I get started on this project...plus funding might be spotty. I did see that there was a MVCC show in Lodi. I wanted to go down on Saturday the 24th, but then realized that we already have Redding Airshow tickets for Saturday. The Air Force Thunderbirds are there this year. Therefore, I think I will try to make a quick trip down on Firday the 23rd and get a lot of pictures and ideas. I really don't want to miss that opportunity.

Thanks again for the advice, I appreciate it...Zeph
Zeph

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:36 am

I have work that week/weekend so I can"t make it myself....but I suggest you go over by 8:30/9:00am and plan on a minimum of 3-4 hours and spend all day if you can....take tons of pics and ask lots of questions....if you take your digital cam with all the pics of your jeep(s) in it you can compare, ask questions, get advice and if you check around....you might meet a couple jeepers who live in your area so you can help each other with stuff like removing motors or tubs and such.

Good Luck and don't forget to drop by Ron Fitzpatricks tent there just to meet the guys and check out a lot of parts in person.

If you are close and have your GPW on the trailer....drag that sucker over with you and it will be like a magnet! Just be sure to put a SOLD sign on it to keep the guys at bay....you will get a lot of questions and assistance by just popping the hood and letting guys check 'er out and take pics...

I think Tom will be there so find him as he will want pics also of your GPW. park near the pavilion and Tom will be right across the road.

Have Fun!
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:56 pm

Chuck Lutz wrote:If you are close and have your GPW on the trailer....drag that sucker over with you and it will be like a magnet! Just be sure to put a SOLD sign on it to keep the guys at bay....you will get a lot of questions and assistance by just popping the hood and letting guys check 'er out and take pics...

I think Tom will be there so find him as he will want pics also of your GPW. park near the pavilion and Tom will be right across the road.

Have Fun!
Chuck, I don't have a trailer at the moment, but I would like to take my GPW down there...I would love to have some of the regulars check it out and would welcome any comments or insights they may have. Maybe I can work something out. I live in the Redding area, so it's not too bad of a drive. Probably 3 hours or so south of me.

In any event, I will have my camera with extra battery on hand and will be taking as many pictures as I can! Plus I am developing quite a large list of questions that I hope can be answered while I am down there as well.

Zeph
Zeph

Tom Wolboldt
banned

Post by Tom Wolboldt » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:06 pm

Hi Chuck,

As a heads up, Tom does not make it the Fall Tower Park meet. He should be there for the Spring show.

Ronnie Guin
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Ronnie Guin » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:33 pm

Zephyr, I noticed the body tub to frame mounting spring and bolt in one of your pictures. I have heard those springs discussed on the G503 but have never seen one on a jeep before your picture. Can you take some more pictures of this spring and let us know how many are on this tub? Thanks for helping us with researching this topic!
Ronnie Guin
44 MB-T-12/44, 1943 FWD K38
GPW 2956 3/10/42 MB 126655 3/11/42
GPW 113491 5/4/43 Slat Grill 112038 1/14/42
MVPA

Return to “MB GPW Restoration Projects”