Restoration Thread or No? Ref: GPW 4

Feb, 1942 - GPW1 thru end of first contract, April, 1942 - GPW15000 NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
FUBARjeep
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by FUBARjeep » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:54 pm

Yes, I would definitely like to see it.

I typically frequent the Mighty Mite section and I have the only "build" thread in our puny five pages. (The thread is titled "#3322" for those interested.) Because of the tiny production total of M422s, we have a very slow forum. Not much tech gets added, very little history is discussed, and the Mighty Mite remains a mystery. We certainly are not advanced enough to be arguing over fine points and tiny details yet.

In other jeep forums I have fifteen page build threads on my modern off roaders but the Mighty Mite crowd can be pretty quiet. I pop in here because the script GPW was and is my first interest in jeeps.

I say the "earlier the better" when it comes to Ford jeeps, so a thread dedicated to your restoration would be a good read.

John Neuenburg
Gee Old Hand

Post by John Neuenburg » Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:50 am

FUBARjeep wrote:Yes, I would definitely like to see it.

I typically frequent the Mighty Mite section and I have the only "build" thread in our puny five pages. (The thread is titled "#3322" for those interested.) Because of the tiny production total of M422s, we have a very slow forum. Not much tech gets added, very little history is discussed, and the Mighty Mite remains a mystery. We certainly are not advanced enough to be arguing over fine points and tiny details yet.
How about doing this man a favor and post your restoration on the Mighty Mite site? :P

I understand many M422 owners think they have an inferiority complex, especially if they frequent the Gee. One of our MVCC members is a psychologist. He has cured many of these poor unfortunates. He simply informs them that they have no complex at all - they actually are INFERIOR! Most are relieved and go away happy :D

I vote for seeing the progress.
Military Vehicle Collectors of California
MVPA 7404
1942 Ford GPW British Special Air Service Regiment Replica
1944 Willys MB
1941 Indian 640
BSA Folding Bicycles
M1942 Command Post Tent

lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Post by lt.luke » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:27 pm

I personally would LOVE to see it in a thread. I'm also thinking that I'd like to see a few "before" pics to see what your up aginst.

For what it's worth, someone put up some detailed threads about engine and tranny restore and I copied them and pasted them to Word!

GI jeeps
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GI jeeps » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:09 pm

lt.luke wrote:I personally would LOVE to see it in a thread. I'm also thinking that I'd like to see a few "before" pics to see what your up aginst.
That's where it will likely start, but I can say with fair confidence that you will NOT like to see what I am up against.

I try not to look at Old Four too often. :cry:

As soon as I get things organized, I will scan the old "as found" paper pics.
Then pics as it sits now.
Then restoration.
And finally my grandchildren will be able to finish it up and post the final results. (After they are born.)
I hope they'll bring it by the looney-bin so I can see it when its done.
Philippians 4:13

breven52
G-Major
G-Major

Re: Restoration Thread or No? Ref: GPW 4

Post by breven52 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:38 pm

GI jeeps wrote:
Anyway, Restoration Thread - Yes or No?
H@% Yeah
'42 Script GPW GPW6434
'41/2 Slat Grill Willys MB
'43 Bantam T-3 trailer
'62 Ford M151
MVPA#30758

GI jeeps
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GI jeeps » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:27 pm

Quick update: Haven't touched it in years. Can hardly see it where it is right now. *Sigh* Someday, maybe.
I need three of me.
Philippians 4:13

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wolfman » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:03 am

Do your self a favor and post lots of pictures and ask lots of questions.
What is correct or incorrect is best delt with during the restoration.
When I did GPW 964 several years ago, I was pretty dumb about VEP jeeps ( not that I have improved a lot. I am still on a learning curve. :lol: ).
I thought I was starting with a rusted down, broken and disassembled military Jeep with all the parts I needed to make it right only to find out I had all the parts to put the GPW together and they were Military Jeep parts, just the wrong ones ! :roll:
I took lots of pictures, which is good. Only they are all 35 MM. Go digital !!
I would not wait too long. There are a lot of good opinions out here about how things should be but the people who really know what #4 should be like are dwindling fast. :(
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)
4th Inf. Div. - 5th Inf. Div. - 2nd Armor Div. - CIB

Return to “VEP Ford GPW”