New member's FORD GPW

Feb, 1942 - GPW1 thru end of first contract, April, 1942 - GPW15000 NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
Davis85
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class
New member's FORD GPW

Post by Davis85 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:44 am

Hello everyone
I'm new member of the forum and have not experience with old vehicle restoring, this is my first project.
Recently i bought a Ford GPW and i'm looking for some informations and suggestions to restoring it.
The frame is GPW, with serial GPW 8048, u-shaped front frame and some parts marked F; i did some research and i suppose is a March 1942 vehicle, can you confirm it?
Unfortunately the rest is a big puzzle: MB engine with Oakes plate type air filter, weber carburator, Willys tub without script on the rear panel some post-war modifications, modified lights...
It was in running conditions, but i decided to do a complete restore.
So i'm looking for know the original configuration of my GPW like 74 years ago, especially about the tub
It was a complete Ford script body?
Thanks in advance

Cheers

m3bobby
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant
Re: New member's FORD GPW

Post by m3bobby » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:31 pm

Check the serial number for another digit. I'd expect that GPW frame number to be in a willys type frame with the round tube not the inverted U.
Ford GPW 6008, in slow process of restoration.

rjbeamer
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by rjbeamer » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:30 pm

In the past Tom W. has posted that he has in his data base GPW's with Ford (Murray) frames as low as GPW78XX. With that said GPW 8048 is very possible.

Roger

Davis85
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by Davis85 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:57 pm

Thanks guys
I checked again, the serial is starGPW8048star
The number is in the correct position near left engine mount, i have also correct leaf springs for GPW.

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:21 am

First thing to do is to do a survey of the entire jeep, each piece you have, any markings on it, the condition, bolt headstamps, etc. If you learn to use the SEARCH function here you can search the TECH or the BUY or SELL or more importantly for you the "VEP GPW" forums and use individual words like carburetor or transmission or gauge or seat or hood or other words and from that you can often find very good documented information about what your jeep should/shouldn't have on it.

However....to add to that survey, a series of photos for each and every part will be invaluable during the resto and later on.

It is cheaper in the long run to have a correct item identified even it it isn't for your jeep (like a slat windshield or slat seats or fender B/O) that can be traded/sold to fund the parts you need. For instance, your Oakes air cleaner with a "plate" on it is the second version of that one and the earlier GPWs would have had either a pancake air cleaner or an Oakes with a DECAL for a jeep with that low a serical number. Either would make good tradin' material and a little searching will give you an idea of the value/condition of yours for that purpose.

Posting photos here when you are stumped is what the gee is all about...but do buy a few books if you can find them...at least the SNL and the TM 9-803 to get you started. Post a pic of the frame stamping for Tom W. and find the number on the side/front of the left tub gusset near the manifolds.

Put where you live in your gee "signature" and try to find some jeepers in your area...most are a pretty friendly sort and will be happy to lend and ear and some will lend a hand when needed....yiou return the favor for them, everyone wins!

Welcome to the gee!
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

Davis85
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by Davis85 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:44 am

Thanks Chuck
I'm working now to disassembly entire vehicle to have a complete overview of what i have in my box; after that i'll post pics of the single components to have a suggestion about them.
I did a lot of research on the forum to understand if my GPW is a VEP, but i didn't found any informations about data change of frame between Willys and Ford on first contract GPW.
Someone talk about 10000 GPW had Willys frame, i suppose the first 10000 produced, but my frame is Ford style 8048, the number seems to be original, so what is the true?
Same question about the tub, vehicles near my serial number must have script Ford or Willys tub? I didn't found a clear answer..
I think find these answers is a good point of start to understand what i have in my hands.
I'm from Italy, i didn't found any serious expert of these Jeep near my home, but i'm in contact with other italian collectors to share informations and suggestions and i tried the same infomations in the italian forum section.
But i think this section is the best place to find correct indications.

In any case, i'll follow your suggestion about use of forum :wink:

tractor12
banned

Post by tractor12 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:11 pm

Ford script tub. Next ford didn't go in 1,2,3,4 etc. On the multiple assembly lines. They skipped around with numbers as one plant may have got 1-500 the next 501-1000 etc. So jeep 1 and jeep 501 may share the same date of delivery. As parts came in like your frame to the plant the other plants may still be using willys style frames.
WC12 Wc 27 2 K38s Mz2 ambulance jeep 2 M3a4s M1a1 Chemical Mortar cart T4e1 usmc cart convertible

Cairo
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Cairo » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:50 am

Yes, we have to remember that Ford frame styles are not going to follow an absolute numbered sequence. My GPW is number 8015, just 33 digits away from yours, and it has the Midland frame with the rounded front cross-member. Tom believes that it came out of the Richmond, CA plant. The data plate just gives a month and year (3 42) for the DoD, not a specific date.

Best,

Bill
42 GPW
44 MB
45 MB
46 CJ-2a Column Shift
42 Bantam T-3

Weren't they all running the last time they were parked?

Michael O.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Michael O. » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:55 am

Davis, it seems that you have a VEP GPW with an original Ford frame...in fact your GPW was amoungst the first to be produced with the Ford frame. You are correct that approximately 10,000 of the first GPW's (not in serial number order) were produced with the Midland frame. Yours obviously was not one of them. Do you have the data plates? Also, please post a photo of your frame serial number. Where are you located?

BTW...I would do everything that Chuck Lutz suggested. That's very good advice. Welcome to the G and congrats on finding a VEP GPW!
Michael O’Connell

Too many jeeps…and a Dodge.

MVPA 13861

Davis85
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by Davis85 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:26 am

Many thanks guys for the precious informations.
This is frame's number, i'm sorry for bad image quality but you can recognize GPW8048

In this period i have no time enough to work on my Jeep, i removed the tub last week and i'm ready to remove engine and transmission also, i hope to show you pics of my work progress in the next time.
At this point, i'm very happy to have bought an original VEP frame :D
I'm from north Italy, near Milan.
Thanks again for your support

Cheers

Return to “VEP Ford GPW”