GPW 20151

Feb, 1942 - GPW1 thru end of first contract, April, 1942 - GPW15000 NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
Spencer54
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

GPW 20151

Post by Spencer54 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:54 am

Hi I will be starting restoration of GPW 20151 soon.

Its DOD was 4-20-42, can anyone tell me any info on this GPW, like where it was made etc?

Thanks

Tom Wolboldt
banned

Re: GPW 20151

Post by Tom Wolboldt » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:00 am

Hi Spencer54,

According to the details given to me by the seller, Your GPW 20151 should have come from the Dearborn, Mi. assembly plant. The DoD indicates an assembly date of either the 2nd or 3rd day of the Second GPW Contract production at the Dearborn plant.

Looking forward to data plate and frame serial number stamping photos once you receive the GPW.

Spencer54
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Spencer54 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:41 pm

Thanks Tom

Ill post up whatever you think is useful - hopefully I will find some hood numbers.

Spencer54
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Spencer54 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:56 am

Jeep arrived yesterday and its all very exciting.

Now where to start!!!

As advised the whole thing needs a complete resto, so no real surprise there.
But in what order is the best practice?

Also the tub is in a rough state, at what point is it deemed too far gone - or is it ever too far gone.
I ask as before I get this shot blasted, and red oxide'd if its a write off that's money in the bin.

:D

Boyso
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Boyso » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:34 am

On mine, I took it appart to the last single bolt. However, I don't think it's the best way of doing it. I've seen another member here do it differently which was that every time he took one part off, he'd restore it, paint it and store it. That way, you are sure of not missing a single bolt when you are done (for example, if you take out a body handle, put the bolts in the holes with the nut or a ziptie on the threads and that way you are sure of not loosing anything!)

Taking plenty of pictures is my best advice as well. Ziploc bags too! And just enjoy it, sometimes I'll just wrench for an hour or two, even though I have more time in the day, I'll just walk away and keep researching on the gee. That way I don't get tired of the jeep. Nothing worse than not completing a project and having to sell it as bits in a few years!

Happy wrenchin'!
44 GPW 231738 10/23/1944
MVPA #36162

Spencer54
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Spencer54 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:06 am

That's exactly the info I need - I think I'll do it the restore by parts process and keep it in ziplocs like you suggest and mark them up.

i did a similar way to you with a motorcycle previously and with all the best will in the world I ended up with the wrong bolts everywhere - and you never find out until the last one that its too short and youve now screwed the long one in way too far...

Good tip thanks 8)

Boyso
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Boyso » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:05 am

Exactly, I even had to move once everything was appart. Needless to say, lost some stuff, bought new replacements only to find the said original parts elsewhere months after! haha
44 GPW 231738 10/23/1944
MVPA #36162

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:29 am

Best resto organization I ever saw was Jim Selfridge's.
He had a two car width garage with shelving along both walls next to his workbenches.
He'd take off a part and bag it with the hardware and put it on the shelf on one side. When he felt like it, he'd restore a bag of something, blast, prime and paint and rebag it and put on the shelving on the other side with a tag marking what it was. That way he could tear the jeep down as he wanted to and anytime he wanted he could do some restoring and painting when the weather suited it.

I saw a ton of bags/parts go over to one side until nothing much remained on the floor but the tub/chassis and eventually everything was restored and moved to the shelves on the "restored" side of the garage. During that time the chassis/running gear was restored and the tub repaired and then the reassembly was pretty easy. He had a system to find stuff on the shelves when the assembly happened. That way all the nuts/bolts were kept with the items they held on the jeep and things like tub-to-frame bolts were bagged separately.

PS...you'll never see all the rust-outs until blasting the tub as paint and dirt tend to appear sturdy until they are blown away and the "lace" appearance of rusted through metal is revealed. Purists will still keep less than half an original tub because....well, a restored original is still more collectable than a repop and that can be down to keeping the upper/lower cowl assembly and replacing everything behind that...or just all the floors and the tool indents and tank well and tool boxes and rear panel...

Up to how you want go with it...and how much damage you find....and your welding skills....and your patience....and your pocketbook.....and how long the restoration process is going to be.
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

Spencer54
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Spencer54 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:46 am

That sounds like a plan - I don't have the luxury of a double berth garage so I'll bag up and move until I'm left with a skeleton.

Tubs lost most of the front and rear floors, bottoms of the tool boxes, steps have all but rusted out. Sides so far seem battered but solid, and that's fine by me.

As for time and money, I want it completed yesterday - but have funds that'll take a decade :roll:

Return to “VEP Ford GPW”