GPW Replacement Block Build Early or Late

Feb, 1942 - GPW1 thru end of first contract, April, 1942 - GPW15000 NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
Finn
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

GPW Replacement Block Build Early or Late

Post by Finn » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:05 pm

Hi
I'm looking for guidance on my engine rebuild. #3370's engine is tired. Not the original engine but a '43. I plan on building up a late war unstamped GPW engine to replace the tired one. Always wanted a Wilson block close to my serial number but never found the right one. My question is, should I put on the early parts I've gathered up for years to build an early engine on the replacement block or build the engine as a '45 which is what it is? It seems 15 yrs ago when I restored the jeep I read or was told short blocks were outfitted with parts off the original engine when they were replaced. I also believe I read all current upgrades were installed at the time of engine replacement. I know the engine I'm going to use came out of a slat grill and it has some of the slat grill parts i.e. oil pan and manifold. Makes me think maybe the first is correct?
Thanks for any help.
Finn
No not looking to sell any extra parts at this time. Sorry.

m3bobby
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant
Re: GPW Replacement Block Build Early or Late

Post by m3bobby » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:01 am

This is just my opinion but I would fit the early parts.
Ford GPW 6008, in slow process of restoration.

Michael O.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: GPW Replacement Block Build Early or Late

Post by Michael O. » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:28 pm

I agree...fit your early parts to your later engine. It will at least give the appearance of an early configuration to match your jeep.
Michael O’Connell

Too many jeeps…and a Dodge.

MVPA 13861

Return to “VEP Ford GPW”