Correct Windshield for the VEP GPW?

Feb, 1942 - GPW1 thru end of first contract, April, 1942 - GPW15000 NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
signsup
banned

Correct Windshield for the VEP GPW?

Post by signsup » Tue May 10, 2016 5:17 am

GPW 14280 DOD April 9, 1942 came brom Bubba's field with some interesting features. One was the winterization kit remnants, hole in the hood and cover plate for the engine heater, under dash toe warmer, capstain caps for the insulation blankets, etc. But that's another story.

It also came with a speedometer combination that can best be described as a speedometer that would have been on a Willys slat grill. It also came with a slat grill shorter windshield outer frame which I have since traded away as I was told this was an incorrect windshield for my GPW. But now, I'm thinking . . . if the slat speedo was on the GPW, could the slat windshield also be a factory installed item? Did the VEP Ford script jeeps use the same windshield as the slat grill jeeps? Or were all GPW's regardless of DOD, the higher taller windshield frames?

No other slat grill items on the GPW that I have been able to tell.

I'll hang up and listen.
Robert Brough
Winston, GA
2018 MVPA Honor Service Award
President, GA MVPA

jkillelea
G-Captain
G-Captain

Re: Correct Windshield for the VEP GPW?

Post by jkillelea » Tue May 10, 2016 6:25 am

Hi Robert,
My GPW 1674 VEP has the tall windshield, which I'm 100% sure is original as it had the matching rust out in the corners as the floor did when I got it. I believe all VEP GPW's had the same tall windshield.
Interestingly, the choke and throttle knobs were/are not military, but civilian: one is white plastic and one is brown bakelite, with no lettering. I thought once they were bubba replacements, but I've seen a diagram showing the exact profile of the knob that I have. I believe (some might counter this) that when Ford went into production on GPW's they grabbed whatever they could find. These appear to be civilian; and I'm keeping them in. According to research mine would have had the flat pancake air filter, but I don't have one on.
By the way, I just drove from NY to FL and went past Atlanta. Had I had more time, I might have tried to contact you to see your jeep.
John

signsup
banned

Post by signsup » Tue May 10, 2016 10:38 am

I'd have left the light on for you. It was at the convention in Topeka. Not gonna make CA, maybe Cleveland.
Robert Brough
Winston, GA
President, GA MVPA

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Tue May 10, 2016 1:26 pm

Robert....at some point in time your jeep was worked on...maybe in service or by a PO....you might find other mods/repairs that would support that contention as well....but no....GPWs did not have the short slat windshield and they didn't use the slat style Autolite/Motometer speedo.
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

signsup
banned

Post by signsup » Tue May 10, 2016 4:53 pm

Well, jeep salad is what I was envisioning. Just wondering if my intrepretation of the Bantam, Willys, Ford design and contract evolution was accurate as I was under the impression that after Willlys got the contract and started production with the slat grill, Ford designed the stamped grill and the Army authorized the change. But there was a number of slat grill Willys jeeps that went into production. Did they have the 2" shorter windshield that is refered to as the slat grill windshield?
Or was the 2" taller windshield the only windshield that went into production for both Willy and Ford?

When I posted an image of my Bubba jeep, someone told me I had the "wrong" windshield and that it was a slat grill winndshield because it was the shorter version. What jeeps had those windshields? I know Darby in Austrailia has mine.
Robert Brough
Winston, GA
President, GA MVPA

Scott Douglas
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by Scott Douglas » Thu May 12, 2016 11:54 am

My GPW 12798 DOD 3-30-42 has the standard windshield in height but does not have the rifle rack brackets and no sign of them ever being there. It also does not have the outer hole for the top retainer bottons on each side. I have inspected the entire jeep and all of the body parts are original as every one of them has the exact primer and paint right down to the original yellow zinc chromate color primer.
1942 GPW 12798
1943 MZ 270679 Navy Radio Jeep
1942 GPW 58369
1944 GPW 239979
1945 1/4 ton Bantam 67950
1945 1/4 ton Bantam 72031
Various parts MB`s and GPW`s

m3bobby
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by m3bobby » Thu May 12, 2016 5:36 pm

6008 also has a F marked tall outer with no depression on the side to aid fitting the inner screen.
Ford GPW 6008, in slow process of restoration.

Return to “VEP Ford GPW”