GPW on WILLY'S FRAME

Feb, 1942 - GPW1 thru end of first contract, April, 1942 - GPW15000 NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
Rick Daniel
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

GPW on WILLY'S FRAME

Post by Rick Daniel » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:58 am

I am in search of an approximate number of V.E.P FORD GPW'S that were built using the WILLY'S
style frames??

Has a firm date and serial number range been established when the first was made and in turn
an approximate date and serial number range when the last GPW on a WILLY'S style frame was
assembled??

What price range would I expect to pay for such a GPW in poor condtion all the way up to a
fully restored GPW???

Any and all assistance will be most appreciated.. Thank You in advace for all of your help..

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Re: GPW on WILLY'S FRAME

Post by Chuck Lutz » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:07 am

Here is Tom W. giving the answer you seek:
viewtopic.php?f=95&t=219455&p=1289606&h ... e#p1289606
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Post by lt.luke » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:05 am

As for price, there's a lot of variables.

"Poor" condition found in a field: a few hundred bucks, from another collector, $1,000-2,000, depending on what's actually there, small parts wise.

Restored, factory condition with all the right parts, several originals, at least $18k, up to $25k, maybe more.

Rick Daniel
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by Rick Daniel » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:07 pm

Thanks for the input Luke, it all helps.

Chuck directed me back to a post Tom W. put up but it was not very helpful..

I have a Midland Frame that had a Willy's Script Tub on it with the original Brass
Data Plates showing serial number of I08078 with a D.O.D of 12-31-41. It was not
until we pulled the tub off did we find GPW3091 stamped on the frame. Needless
to say I was stumped as to why an obvious Midland/Willy's Frame would have a
GPW Serial Number stamped on it.

After some homework, I found out I had very unique and not often seen MB or GPW
in my fleet. I was always stumped about what I thought was MBI08078 because it
had a bunch of GPW parts on her. GPW3091 currently has a GPW Script tub on her
and is in line for restoration.

Last Friday we stumbled upon what we initially thought was an MB based on what we
could see through the fence and when we finally got access to her found the original
Brass Nomenclature plate on the Glove Box which said she was in reality a GPW
with a Serial Number of GPW6559 with a D.O.D of 03- -42. This time I went to
the frame and confirmed GPW6559 stamped on the Midland Frame.

A purchase price was agreed to and she is now in the yard with GPW3091.

Rick Daniel
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by Rick Daniel » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:15 pm

Hopefully someone will have more information on these unique GPW's than Tom W. did
but if Tom W. does not know then my chances of anyone else on the "G" knowing more
about GPW's than Tom W. is not good.

We will continue our search for the answers and hopefully someone out there on the "G"
will be able to share some more information.

Thanks for your input..

lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Post by lt.luke » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:09 pm

Rick Daniel wrote:Hopefully someone will have more information on these unique GPW's than Tom W. did
but if Tom W. does not know then my chances of anyone else on the "G" knowing more
about GPW's than Tom W. is not good.

We will continue our search for the answers and hopefully someone out there on the "G"
will be able to share some more information.

Thanks for your input..
It's not very likely that anyone anywhere today knows more about gpw's then Tom W does. He regularly goes to the Ford archives to conduct research & has an extremely extensive database of "stuff". You sort of came a bit late to the game. Collecting all that information hasn't been cheap. PM him, you may get more information if you donate to his research. Also, read his signature at the bottom of his forum entry. He has had a couple of incidents with people and has generally stopped posting data here as a result.

Tom Wolboldt
banned

Post by Tom Wolboldt » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:30 am

Hi Rick,

What was not answered in your question by the post refered to by Chuck L. ????

Michael O.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Michael O. » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:51 am

Rick Daniel wrote:I am in search of an approximate number of V.E.P FORD GPW'S that were built using the WILLY'S
style frames??
Approximately 8,000 GPW's were build using Midland frames (per Ford documents). There were more "slat grill" MB's produced than VEP Ford GPW's with Midland frames.
Rick Daniel wrote: Has a firm date and serial number range been established when the first was made and in turn
an approximate date and serial number range when the last GPW on a WILLY'S style frame was
assembled??
A firm date, no. Ford would have used up stock until all was depleted. (The Ford frame had not yet been approved by the Quartermaster Crops so Ford had to order frames from Midland in order to start production to fulfill their need until their style frame was approved). Remember, Ford was producing jeeps at many assembly plants, all producing a different number of jeeps per day. By April 1942 (end of the first contract), all Midland frames in the system should have been utilized. You will find a mix of frames being used as the Midland frames were used up and the plants switched to the Ford style frame. For example, a GPW with a lower serial number of 8XXX could have a Ford frame and a GPW with a higher serial number of 10XXX could have a Midland frame (and an earlier Date of Delivery). Please note, serial numbers were assigned based on engine serial number...not in the order the jeeps rolled off the assembly line.
Rick Daniel wrote: What price range would I expect to pay for such a GPW in poor condition all the way up to a
fully restored GPW???
$500 - $30,000

Hope this helps.

BTW...Tom W is THE GPW guy to go to with questions. While no single person can know all of the answers he is still the best resource for information.

Any other information you're looking for?
Michael O’Connell

Too many jeeps…and a Dodge.

MVPA 13861

Return to “VEP Ford GPW”