Bright Idea- maybe

Feb, 1942 - GPW1 thru end of first contract, April, 1942 - GPW15000 NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
GI jeeps
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Bright Idea- maybe

Post by GI jeeps » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:45 pm

Ok, so, If I was to decide to restore Old Four as a jeep-under-glass using ALL ORIGINAL PARTS, how much help, I'm wondering, could I expect from the G Family? Obviously I don't have enough original GPW parts to do even one of my jeeps all original inside and out.
This means I'd be asking guys to dig out and sell off that one precious NOS example of.... whatever.
I'll draw from my own stocks to the greatest degree possible, and I'm sure some things just can't be found or can't installed without it falling apart (windshield packing for example). Has anyone got a package of unused original windshield packing sitting on their trophy shelf? :roll:

I'm not putting out a call for anything specific at this time, just seeing what you guys think. Shouldn't there be at least a jeep or two out there put together with all the real stuff?

If someone out there has a good condition or NOS seat cushion for an early GPW (or 5 or 6) would they even consider giving them up? Is this a good enough cause for me to say, "It's for a good cause."? Three good original tires? (I have two). Canvas, wiring, all the things you are now saying to yourself; "You'll never find an original ...." are the things I'll be looking for.
Am I hoping for too much at this late stage? It seems to me a worthwhile goal but there is no way I can do it myself.
But just think, if it works, you could come see your original radiator insulation at the next KC Convention, or the one after that, or the one after that, and tell your grand-kids that they came from you.

Whaddayathink?
Philippians 4:13

Tom Wolboldt
banned

Re: Bright Idea- maybe

Post by Tom Wolboldt » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:47 pm

First thing to decide is if you are going to restore # 4 as an April 10, '42 GPW as shown on the data plate from Louisville, Ky. or a mid Jan.,'42 GPW from Dearborn, Mi. which it really is. There are untold dollars riding on the out come of your decision.

GI jeeps
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GI jeeps » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:06 pm

Tom wrote:First thing to decide is if you are going to restore # 4 as an April 10, '42 GPW as shown on the data plate from Louisville, Ky. or a mid Jan.,'42 GPW from Dearborn, Mi. which it really is. There are untold dollars riding on the out come of your decision.
I'll try to shoot for a happy medium to begin with. Set the sights for 10 Apr 42 and work back toward Jan as can, when can.
I suppose the response I get here could have an effect on what she wears.

Michael O.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Michael O. » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:20 am

Would it have received updated parts from the time it was built in January to the time is was delivered on 4-10-42? I don't know why you'd want "4" anyway...and it's really "GG PP WW 4" LOL.
Tom wrote: There are untold dollars riding on the out come of your decision.
:?: :?: :?:
Last edited by Michael O. on Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Michael O’Connell

Too many jeeps…and a Dodge.

MVPA 13861

Tom Wolboldt
banned

Post by Tom Wolboldt » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:35 am

As far as I can tell GPW 4 was one of the sample GPWs sent out to assembly plants so the worker had some idea what they were going to be building. It is unlikely that parts would have been changed out but perhaps anything is possible. It was accepted at the plant where it was sent near the end of that plant's 1st contract.

Michael O.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Michael O. » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:41 am

Not to speak for Joel, but over the years we always speculated that it served that purpose...an educational tool for Ford workers so they could see and learn about this "new" GPW vehicle. As far as wear and tear though...would the government have accepted a vehicle with more than just a few miles on it or would they have replaced the running gear, tires, etc., to make it almost "new" again upon delivery?
Michael O’Connell

Too many jeeps…and a Dodge.

MVPA 13861

DavidA
Equipment Operator, Heavy -2nd Class
Equipment Operator, Heavy -2nd Class

Post by DavidA » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:44 pm

If this is an important FORD, which it appears to be, I would do some schmoozing and see if FORD would maybe help sponsor your effort.

Then maybe you could get all original stuff on some of their dime. Just a thought. It won't be an easy or cheap proposition to buy NOS FUD stuff in this day and age. :wink:
David Aro - USN SEABEES '66-'70
1941 WILLYS MB-104354
1942 WILLYS MB-131350

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:28 am

It also won't be easy trying to confirm what parts Ford might have used from the Willys Parts Manual....leaf springs come to mind among other things such as starters.
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

GI jeeps
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GI jeeps » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:34 pm

Chuck Lutz wrote:It also won't be easy trying to confirm what parts Ford might have used from the Willys Parts Manual....leaf springs come to mind among other things such as starters.
We'll just have to do the best we can. As I recall it came with 3 Ford springs and an aftermarket replacement. I'll post a summary of condition someday soon. I don't remember all the details of what was there and what was missing as received so I'll have to dig it out and go over it again when time allows.
Still looking for engine GPW 4 if anyone should stumble across it. :wink:

The glove box floor is not upside down, it was installed after the dash panel was in place, which seems to be a mistake. Thus, it is spot-welded to the underside of the dash panel not tucked up inside as it should be.

Tom Wolboldt
banned

Post by Tom Wolboldt » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:05 pm

The glove box floor is not upside down, it was installed after the dash panel was in place, which seems to be a mistake. Thus, it is spot-welded to the underside of the dash panel not tucked up inside as it should be.

Or perhaps like a hand made body might have been made with a glove box added where none had been before.

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wolfman » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:30 am

You are in for a real experience.
I spent five and a half years doing GPW 964.
The goal was put it back to delivered condition which was determined around the second week of Feb. 1942.
It was as much a task to determine what it should not have as what it did.
A lot of things added over the years that had to be removed.
No black out light. No Torque Reaction Spring. No trailer plug. A LOT of extra holes for ????. The list goes on.
Did install a Torque Reation Spring. It is a driver and don't like changing lanes when the brakes are applied.
Good luck and will be glad to help if I can, although I still don't claim to be an expert.
I just think I know what I know. I might be wrong. :D
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)
4th Inf. Div. - 5th Inf. Div. - 2nd Armor Div. - CIB

surrey_film
G-Private
G-Private

Post by surrey_film » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:57 pm

Prior to buying a VEP GPW, my previous hobby vehicle, (or Classic Car as they're called here in the UK) was a 'side-screen' Triumph TR. The owner's club for the TR is the TR Register, and from club funds they purchased and restored the second production TR ever built, so that at classic car events round the UK and Europe they could show the public what a pristine TR2 looked like. It strikes me that what you're suggesting is something similar. Therefore, what you appear to need is the clout of a classic car club behind you - not just to help with the restoration/rebuild but also (heaven forbid) for the vehicle's legacy when you are no longer here. To restore such an early GPW for posterity also requires a plan for the future. What is your long term plan for her? Who would you rebuild her for?

Good luck with your plans!

David

awddouglas
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by awddouglas » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:35 pm

I restored GPW3568 using all original parts where possible. My best find was an original cowl weatherstrip, still in its Ford box that came from a sale in Australia when a ford garage closed down. I also got a pancake filter from the Philippines, again in its original box.....thank the lord for ebay!!! and as pointed out, you then have to answer the unanswerable, should i have willys springs or ford, have i now put more F marked parts on it than it had when it went out the factory gate, i swapped my ross box for a GPW ford marked...I think i need to refit the ross....

I wouldnt like to go through that again as i don't believe the NOS parts are still around.

To put it into perspective, the restoration took me almost 4 years. I did a ground up schwimmwagen in 12 months because the parts were easier to get!

Still, its an interesting proposal for an important jeep and if you can get someone else to pay and you have the time, why not.....good luck!

Regards

Andrew
GPW 3568 (3-18-42)
Bantam T3 72591 (6_20_45)
1944 Schwimmwagen 15410
1965 Mustang Fastback K code
1965 Sunbeam Tiger Mk1A
1972 Porsche 911S

Return to “VEP Ford GPW”