VEP's and trailers?

Feb, 1942 - GPW1 thru end of first contract, April, 1942 - GPW15000 NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
Wessels
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant
VEP's and trailers?

Post by Wessels » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:45 pm

I am in the middle of restoring my 42 script GPW serial number 30988 (May-June production? DOD?). At some point during its service career it received the rear panel braces, black out light and a trailer plug socket. At this time I plan to bring it back to factory spec and remove these items. This has led me to wonder...did early trailers have wiring plugs? If so....how did they plug into the pre-trailer plug jeeps? Did they not run the lights? I have a 1945 GEMCO and wonder what I'll do (to be authentic) when towing it? Any input, photos or thoughts are greatly welcomed! Thanks in advance!
US Army Airborne 6 Years

1942 GPW Script 30988
1945 Gemco T-1 Trailer
1943 VW-Kubelwagen 24-973
1943 DKW NZ350

lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Re: VEP's and trailers?

Post by lt.luke » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:13 am

The early Jeeps recieved an MWO (Modification Work Order) to install the trailer plug and safety chain eyelets IOT tow a trailer. ALL Trailers to my knowledge came with lights and cable. There should be some clues as to whether or not your GPW came from the factory with any of the features you plan on removing. If your panel reinforcements have holes in them for bolts, there's a fair possiblity they are installed as an MWO or were installed by the factory VERY EARLY on in the implementation of the feature. If your trailer plug was added in the field, the hole through the panel may give clues. You should be able to see the ORIGINAL bolt hole for the reflector, and maybe indications that the plug hole was cut with a hole saw, torch, or otherwise by hand. If it LOOKS PERFECT, it was potentially installed at the factory. The switch for the blackout light, if installed by the factory would have a "D" shape to it with a "flat" to keep the switch from turning in the dash. If it's a perfectly round hole, it's probably added in the field.

I was unaware they made nearly 31,000 Script jeeps.

Wessels
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by Wessels » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:59 am

Thanks Luke! Unfortunately, the trailer plug has been welded up with a patch by a post war owner...so of is impossible to tell how nice the hole was when originally cut. There are also two sets of holes for the left rear reflector, so it this clearly shows where the reflector was moved. My frame number (30988) makes my GPW script somewhere in the May-June 1942 time frame I believe. It is said that script tubs were used all the way into July 1942. I only wish my data plates weren't missing! I'm trying to zero in a good DOD!
US Army Airborne 6 Years

1942 GPW Script 30988
1945 Gemco T-1 Trailer
1943 DKW NZ350

Tom Wolboldt
banned

Post by Tom Wolboldt » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:41 am

Hi Wessels,

The trailer socket on a MB / GPW came out at about the same time that production of the 1/4 Ton trailer had started. So there were mostly likely a jeep with a socket where ever a trailer was found. Prior to the start of the trailer production there were little VEP jeeps had to pull around other than themselves and the 37 mm anti-tank gun which did not have lights that needed power.

To get a close DoD estimate the assembly plant will need to be known. Post a photo of the complete frame serial number stamping which should tell me the assembly plant.

Also Luke - You may be thinking in the 51,000 range for the end of the GPW script body rather than 31,000.

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:11 am

The lack of socket most likely did not prevent use of the MBT on a Jeep without the lighting provisions in early WWII.
Remember, the Pintle Hook was installed on G-503 Jeeps from day one and was not just for looks..
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

backsink
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by backsink » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:37 pm

Suggestions on the date of delivery. The "G" is coming close to providing a pretty complete data base on that score. For your part get good photos of your frane serial number to the resident experts to determine the factory location. After the factory is determined upon, you interpolate your number from that factory with other known number dates from that factory to closely narrow down dates. You might get lucky and strike upon a really close number from that factory. After several years of pondering, I am satisfied that I am within a day or two on my GPW in July, 1942. Of course, if your factory is Richmond, California, you may only need the month. Also, knowing the factory may tell you exactly how the repro data plate should appear, as to weight and mystery box marking if any. When you eventually post your date in the G503 data base, please do the courtesy of noting that it is an estimate so that others down the road will not be misguided. Thanks . backsink

suggestions on the date of delivery

Wessels
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by Wessels » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:26 pm

Thanks BackSink...I couldn't agree more on all your points! Interesting about Richmond only stamping month and year and leaving out the day. I have a GPW data plate among my various spare parts (including matching number frame) that is 19377. I believe it must be from a Richmond produced GPW as the Date of Delivery box is only stamped with month and year: 4 42

I posted a picture of the frame stamping on my GPW 30988 in a thread I started about it recently. I'm hoping it sheds clues for Tom to draw from.
US Army Airborne 6 Years

1942 GPW Script 30988
1945 Gemco T-1 Trailer
1943 DKW NZ350

lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Post by lt.luke » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:07 am

Thanks Tom!

signsup
banned

Post by signsup » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:26 am

It is my understanding that the safety chain eye bolts on the pintle hook lower plate were part of the trailer towing package installed in the field with the socket. My April 42 has the socket but not eye bolts. I want to restore it without the socket, but like the look of the eyebolts. I have been "advised" that if my Jeep did not have a socket, it would never have the eyebolts.
That makes perfect sense for hauling a trailer with lights.
But prior to trailers, didn't the jeeps haul the M3 37mm anti-tank gun and other weapons that did not have lights, but did have safery chaings?

If I were building a Jeep from scratch and hauling an M3 gun, I would put eyebolts on the pintle hook, but would not need a light socket.

Thoughts and comments?

I'll hang up and listen.
Robert Brough
Winston, GA
2018 MVPA Honor Service Award
President, GA MVPA

Return to “VEP Ford GPW”