Restoration thread for GPW 12078 Script

Feb, 1942 - GPW1 thru end of first contract, April, 1942 - GPW15000 NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
Bob at Warsaw
G-Major General
G-Major General

Re: Restoration thread for GPW 12078 Script

Post by Bob at Warsaw » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:06 pm

My old girl is almost there :mrgreen:
Bob

MVCC or MVPA # 9836

lawcdw
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by lawcdw » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:28 am

Hi Luke: You have come a long ways in only 5 years your jeep in my opinion will be better than new condition.You need to be commplimented on such a thourgho and complete rebuild.You have been so precice in every step of the way your thread has so much knowledge many people will benifit from your journey with this project.You are on the down hill slide to the finish now and i am happy for you to be soon driving it for the first time.Stand up the BEST THREAD i have found,there are many good,great, but this one is OUTSTANDING.I would like to CONGRADULATE you on such a perfect rebuild of GPW 12078 Script. It will be the perfect driver. I would like to THANK YOU for your Service in the MILITARY as well. Thanks Claude and ...LUKE you FORWARD MARCH to the Finish :D

lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Post by lt.luke » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:40 am

Thank you for such kind & motovating words Claude. Unfortunately, ill only update this thread with progress on the jeep a few more times. I will very likely take the chassis & tub to Tennessee to rest for the next year while the Army sends me overseas.

You enjoy your freedom. I really do enjoy my chosen career. Some days I find myself astounded that I get to so much fun, cool stuff AND they pay mr too. Of course, other days they don't pay me enough! lol. I provide most things the family needs & wants, & I find ways to progress on the hobbies too, so all is well.

lawcdw
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by lawcdw » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:28 am

HI Luke: You be safe out there, the Military Men and Women have a lot more to contend with now days, it is a hostile world out there. It is nowhere the same as it was when I served 1978-82. The only overseas tour I saw was when I was sent to EGYPT to train for war over the hostage crisis, Iran backed off released the hostages we stayed a little while longer for desert training then came home. I have a deep respect for the men and women that serve our country. My thoughts will be with you and I will be looking to hear from you on this thread. Claude W

lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Post by lt.luke » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:15 pm

Thank you for your service!

tamnalan
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by tamnalan » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:14 pm

Likewise on appreciation for your service and great restoration work Luke - I stumbled on yours while reading Claude's GP thread which is also great.

How did the electrolysis work out for you? I've used it several times now for small parts and really like it! My usual soak time is about 2 days.
Alan W. Johnson
MB-TD, Mar 2012
Ford 91C, 1939

lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Post by lt.luke » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:20 pm

I soaked overnight. The process worked GREAT, but I had to borrow a battery charger from the 50's from my neighbor!

Thanks for the kind words. 12078 is resting quietly in Tennessee for a while now, but the parts search is still on going! Always forward progress of one kind or another (like Claude)!

tamnalan
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by tamnalan » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:32 pm

Yes that's the challenging thing about military service - those PCS moves and deployments while trying to restore vehicles!

Here's the charger I use: http://www.sears.com/diehard-10-amp-man ... ockType=G1

I paid about $35 on sale a year or so ago.
Alan W. Johnson
MB-TD, Mar 2012
Ford 91C, 1939

lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Post by lt.luke » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:43 pm

tamnalan wrote:Yes that's the challenging thing about military service - those PCS moves and deployments while trying to restore vehicles!

Here's the charger I use: http://www.sears.com/diehard-10-amp-man ... ockType=G1

I paid about $35 on sale a year or so ago.
Thank you!

thidisbogus
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by thidisbogus » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:05 pm

Thank you Lt. Luke, Claude and all you others that have served and are serving. You are very much appreciated by many patriots who value the liberty and freedoms that you protect.

lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Post by lt.luke » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:29 am

thidisbogus wrote:Thank you Lt. Luke, Claude and all you others that have served and are serving. You are very much appreciated by many patriots who value the liberty and freedoms that you protect.
Enjoy your freedom!

lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Post by lt.luke » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:12 am

Happy 71st birthday to GPW 12078!

lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Post by lt.luke » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:40 pm

Guys,

I need a recommendation.

My exhaust manifold broke. Specifically, the threaded area for the headpipe STUD crumbled away when I attempted to tighten on the exhaust pipe. This area had been previously repaired with a helicoil. It is a Ford manifold and otherwise, as far as I can tell, perfect.

OPTIONS:

I can have a local shop (the shop's name is Cast Iron Welding, so the assumption is they specialize in messing with Cast Iron, and would be knowledgeable enough to do the job right) doesn't use cast iron rod, but instead would BRAZE the repair. (as an asside, the guy at the shop gave my father the name and number of a non-jeep place which he claimed would sell me a replacement part for "probably around $70, which is about the same as I'll charge you to repair this one". I haven't called them yet to verify this)

Or, I can replace with a repro manifold. (don't know anything about them, but it wouldn't be Ford marked, and I don't know if they have quality or fit issues)

What are your recommendations?

Schultzd
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Schultzd » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:18 am

Luke.

I had a manifold brazed as you describe, by very reputable local company. The actual work was fine, but the look was downright terrible. It had a large glob of brazing that couldn't be removed or made to look good. I paid about $70 for the repair and then ended up buying a good used one I found at Iola, WI at the military show. For me, the $70 was a waste of money I could have put on the good manifold I found. Regardless of how you proceed, make sure the manifold you use is absolutely flat at the mating surface to the block. If there is any warpage you risk breaking the new manifold as well. I had a machine shop grind my new manifold (after the two pieces were bolted together) ever so slightly to make sure the surface was absolutely flat. My thoughts.

Dan
Dan Schultz
Retired USA SFC
GP 9275
GPW 14944 M38 MC70324
M38A1 MD20035
K-38 Lineman Trailer

tamnalan
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by tamnalan » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:30 am

I don't think you would be happy with the braze either. It could work out functionally ok, but paint and exhaust manifolds are not very good friends. Any paint would eventually go away, the iron then rust, and the brazed area stick out like a sore thumb.

On the other hand, the manifold is an item easy to later swap if your primary goal now is to get your GPW on the road, and the stud's location is somewhat hidden anyway. Do the repair, enjoy your jeep, and start a patient search for a proper replacement!
Alan W. Johnson
MB-TD, Mar 2012
Ford 91C, 1939

Return to “VEP Ford GPW”