4 wheel steer GP

1940 - 1941 BRC, MA, GP, Preproduction Prototypes. Knowledge Base NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.

Moderator: DavidA

Jim Gilmore
G-Colonel
G-Colonel
Re: 4 wheel steer GP

Post by Jim Gilmore » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:59 pm

Thanks for the nice comments on my favorite jeep....

Top was cut off some years ago.....farmer that had this jeep not only screwed it on but then welded it on too!

Motor matches the frame...data plate is missing as the farmer mounted a heater on the dash and you guess where he drilled the holes for the heater hoses.....

GP is still unrestored....it does run and I have driven it up and down the driveway of my old house in MI.

Funny thing.....when I heard about it I went over to the guy that had it....Chuck Dadlow in IN....and when I got there he said that he just sold it ...to David Sarafan!

Well...I knew Dave and had Chuck call Dave......I explained to Dave that I was the best person in the whole world to own that jeep......and after a little bidding up the price and whining, sobbing, wailing and gnashing of teeth......Dave let me buy it from Chuck.....

Then Chuck said that he thought the block was cracked...as the rad was full of oil !

So I says....."whatever..just help me get it on the trailer"...(heck..it coulda had NO motor and I still would have bought it!)

I got it home...pulled the dipstick..and there was only oil in the crankcase...no coolant....and it was up to the full level....humm.....

Then, I remembered an old trick that farmers would do with their old tractors that they kept as spares......a farmer is/was too cheap to buy expensive anti-freeze for an tractor that he may not use.....so they would fill the cooling system with used oil...won't freeze in the winter and keeps the block from rusting...

So..I drained the rad and block...re-filled it with prestone...and it started and ran just fine!

...best 4,500 bucks I ever spent!

....and I was even able to get the numbers off the hood...even though the paint had been sanded down to the metal .....(I'll tell you guys about that story some time)

USA 234080

Jim Gilmore

Jim Thorpe, PA.

acmack
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by acmack » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:05 pm

Jim wrote:
and after a little bidding up the price .........best 4,500 bucks I ever spent!
Bidding it UP TO $4500? :shock:

David
Any other spacecraft or missile owners out there?
60' M422 538
65' Apollo BP CM A-36
60' Gemini BP CM MSC312

DavidA
Equipment Operator, Heavy -2nd Class
Equipment Operator, Heavy -2nd Class

Post by DavidA » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:46 pm

Wow...those hood numbers are worth $4500. 8)
David Aro - USN SEABEES '66-'70
1941 WILLYS MB-104354
1942 WILLYS MB-131350

41jeeps
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by 41jeeps » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:50 pm

Neat story Jim..!!
Mine does has the data plate, but unfortunately the original engine has been removed before I got it.
No hood numbers either. :(

jeradroy1981
G-Civilian

Post by jeradroy1981 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:43 pm

I think I have a 4ws can u call me 253-720-9766 names jerad

Return to “BRC MA GP Prototypes”