Omix Ada after market distributor

1945 - 196*, Willys CJ series, modifications, sugestions, and ideas
Red
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant
Omix Ada after market distributor

Post by Red » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:08 am

In order to make my jeep a little more driveable, I'm researching the aftermarket Omix Ada distributor for the F-134 engine. My jeep is an M38A1, has been converted to 12 volt, but the original 24 volt distributor was retained (and somehow adapted to 12 volt- I am not sure how that was done- anybody know?). For now I don't want to restore to original 24v, that may come in time, though.

At any rate, I'd like to hear some first hand experiences with the Omix distributor. Also, where are they made (hopefully not China!)?
'54 M38A1 SN 71522 DOD 2-54 Hood # 201001152
'53 Strick M100 SN 79

Cuz
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Omix Ada after market distributor

Post by Cuz » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:37 pm

Two ways to make a 24 volt waterproof distributor operate on 12 volt. Use a 12 volt coil or raise the voltage for the coil. Easiest is to substitute the internal 24 volt coil with an internal 12 volt coil. Next way is to add an external 12 volt coil and run it's secondary output back into the military distributor.

The so called electronic distributors are really simple Hall Effect magnetic sensors that replace the points. This saves you the trouble of the periodic inspection, adjustment and replacement of mechanical points. There's no measurable increase in performance in terms of horse power or fuel savings over a properly set up mechanical points distributor. The true modern electronic ignitions we are familiar with have computers and actually monitor the engine's operating parameters and compensate constantly for current conditions. Pertronics sells kits that you can install yourself to eliminate the mechanical points.

As for quality of the unit Omix-Ada presents you will have to determine where they are built. With retail pricing showing up between $121 and $160 dollars with the point replacement kits installed the price is awful low.
Cuz (AKA Wes K)
45 MB, 51 M38, 54 M37, 6? M101A1, 60 CJ5, 76 DJ5D & 47 T3-C

Red
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant
Re: Omix Ada after market distributor

Post by Red » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:51 pm

I'll pull the cap off the dist and check the coil, get numbers off it,etc. Near as I can tell, there is no external coil, unless it's well hidden.

I asked a queston of an ebay seller of the Omix distributor as to where it was made. One was evasive, just saying it is an exact fit, etc. Another one said he wasn't sure, but that Omix had a plant in Korea. I think that it's a safe bet that if it were made in the states, they'd say so.
'54 M38A1 SN 71522 DOD 2-54 Hood # 201001152
'53 Strick M100 SN 79

Return to “CJ's Modifications”