Modifications by service branch
Farrell Fox
banned
[Subject Deleted By Author]

Post by Farrell Fox » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:18 pm

[Post Deleted By Author]
Last edited by Farrell Fox on Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
4th Tank Battalion, 4th Marine Division
M1A1 Main Battle Tank Mechanic
M88 Armored Vehicle Recovery Operator
AVLB Operator

Mark Tombleson
MZ Radio Operator

Re: Willys USMC Parts, OD vs Forest Green (Factory New)

Post by Mark Tombleson » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:30 pm

It really depends on the individual part, Farrell.

First let say there are a lot of assemblies that were unique in manufacture... frame, body, accessories, and items like the wiper. Some of this parts may have came in primered only or with a single or double coat of forest green but all have unique part numbers.

For example the hood blocks shown here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=238771

I'm going to say if you ordered a pair of A-3780 hood blocks they will come in OD and A-3779 will be in forest green.

Another part may be like the fuel tank hold down strap assembly A-1472 and A-1477. The part numbers are the same for the standard MB and the NOM/NAVY MBs and I can confirm that when I took my straps off on the underside of the webbing there was the original OD the strap was painted with before assembly... see here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=246931&hilit=gas+tank+strap

The strap was painted after installation. The fuel tank on the MZ-1 had never been removed and was primer underneath pretty much indicating the tank and straps were painted after they were installed. Are there any photos showing this on the assembly line?

The air cleaner bracket was another item OD on the side facing the fire wall and painted forest green after installation (A-1278 & A-1279).

There are a lot of small parts like top bow pivot bracket and such that have different part numbers than their OD counterparts but used the exact same fasteners. Some of them list drawings that may be the same for both parts but list a different finish (forest green).

The above is not so much an answer but an explanation of what I have seen in documentation and examining my MZ-1 during restoration.

I have had people tell me they have seen boxed parts in forest green but I don't remember seeing an example or photo of an example.

Anyone have a boxed forest green part with a part number or photo of one?
MB-NAVY-MZ-1 352625 - 07/20/44 (DOD est.)
U.S.N. 133818
2nd place Restored Class 2008 Portland Convention
MVPA Hall of Fame - 2013

Joe Friday
G-Colonel
G-Colonel
Re: Willys USMC Parts, OD vs Forest Green (Factory New)

Post by Joe Friday » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:20 am

Mark, Sorry I missed you again. I'm sitting at DAL waiting to fly out. I was hoping to drop by at the end of the week but I have to go to CA.

If I get any downtime this week I'll see if the tooling documents are in the database. Tooling docs actually dictate the paint process by part number and which conveyor line they ran through. With any luck maybe some MZ part numbers are in there.
2018 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #419

Return to “Jeeps used by: USMC, USN, USCG (-NO EBAY-CRAIGSLIST-COMMERCIAL SALES-)”