U.S.M.C. MZ-2 Radio Jeep restoration.

Modifications by service branch
Farrell Fox
banned
Re: U.S.M.C. MZ-2 Radio Jeep restoration.

Post by Farrell Fox » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:41 pm

Did a test run on both early and late rear seat frames. The early ones weren't too difficult, but the MZ-2 frame was a pain in the ass to bend up. I made this one too tall to figure out the linear length of tubing needed once fully formed. Unfortunately Surface Zero won't let me post my photo upright.

4th Tank Battalion, 4th Marine Division
M1A1 Main Battle Tank Mechanic
M88 Armored Vehicle Recovery Operator
AVLB Operator

Mark Tombleson
MZ Radio Operator

Post by Mark Tombleson » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:00 pm

Here is a little photo help, Farrell.

When you pull the photo up in "my photos", click on the Edit Photo... just below your post count.

This will bring up the following page:

You can then rotate or flip your thumbnail which does the same for the larger versions.

Let me know if this works for you as both the above photos had to be rotated 90 degrees clockwise.
MB-NAVY-MZ-1 352625 - 07/20/44 (DOD est.)
U.S.N. 133818
2nd place Restored Class 2008 Portland Convention
MVPA Hall of Fame - 2013

Farrell Fox
banned

Post by Farrell Fox » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:08 pm

Yeah, none of those options on the mobile version unfortunately.
AVLB Operator

gilles borel
G-Private
G-Private

Post by gilles borel » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:37 am

Bonjour Farll Fox
Je souhaite monter une Jeep Radio MZ-2 avec l'ensemble TCS 13.
Je recherche une personne qui puisse me fabriquer les 2 chests des radio ainsi que tous les éléments comme la boîte de l'antenne,,les boîtes des 2 batteries,le support du générateur,et les autres boîtes nécessaire pour que ce soit complet.
J'ai les 2 radio émetteur et récepteur Collins référencés 46159 et 22245 ainsi que l'antenne CML 47205
J'ai vu que vous avez fait réaliser certains de ces éléments,et je vous serai reconnaissant de me donner toutes informations pour que je puisse entrer en contact avec le fabriquant.
Je vous remercie par avance de votre réponse.
Je vis en France et il est impossible de faire réaliser ces différentes pièces.
Très cordialement.

Gilles.

Farrell Fox
banned

Post by Farrell Fox » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:17 pm

gilles borel wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:37 am

Hi Farll Fox

I want to mount a Jeep Radio MZ-2 with the TCS 13 set.

I am looking for a person who can make me the 2 radio chests and all the elements like the box of the antenna, the boxes of the 2 batteries, the support of the generator, and the other boxes necessary for it to be complete.

I have 2 radio transmitter and receiver Collins referenced 46159 and 22245 and the antenna CML 47205

I have seen that you have made some of these elements realized, and I will be grateful to you for giving me all the information so that I can get in touch with the manufacturer.
I thank you in advance for your answer.
I live in France and it is impossible to make these different pieces.

Very cordially.

Gilles.
Hello Gilles,

I sent all of my drawings to Joe's Motor Pool to have all of the major radio boxes reproduced. Since the demand for these is small, I wouldn't expect to anything for at least another year.

Being that JMP located in England, and travels to shows throughout Europe, it will beneficial for you in regards to shipping.
AVLB Operator

gilles borel
G-Private
G-Private

Post by gilles borel » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:42 pm

Bonjour Farwell

Comment contacter ce monsieur qui a les plans ?
Es-ce qu'il fabrique les pièces pour la MZ-2 ?

Cordialement.

Gilles

Farrell Fox
banned

Post by Farrell Fox » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:24 pm

gilles borel wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:42 pm
Hi Farwell

How to contact this gentleman who has plans?
Does he make parts for the MZ-2?

Cordially.

Gilles
If you Google Joe's Motor Pool, you will find their web site. At present, they do not make any of the parts. They just have my plans for them.
AVLB Operator

gilles borel
G-Private
G-Private

Post by gilles borel » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:57 am

Bonjour

Je vois que vous avez fait fabriquer des boites pour les radios,les batteries.Pouvez-vous me donner les coordonnées du fabriquant dans votre ville ?
Avec mes remerciements.

Gilles

Farrell Fox
banned

Post by Farrell Fox » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:23 pm

gilles borel wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:57 am
Hello

I see that you have made boxes for radios, batteries. Can you give me the coordinates of the manufacturer in your city?

With thanks.

Gilles
I did not make the battery boxes. They were produced around 7 years ago with only a small quantity made. Additionally, the company that made them has repeatedly refused to make more. I also do not make any other boxes, and do not know anyone currently producing them.
AVLB Operator

tractor12
banned

Post by tractor12 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:01 pm

I currently am trying to buy the dies that made the bottom pan on both styles of battery boxes. The person who made the bottom pans is searching his c trains for the dies to sell me. When I get the dies I can produce the earlier style boxes as I have everything drawn into a cnc plasma cutter files to make them. As for the mz 2 and cj35 battery boxes I know where a set of dies are for sale but it takes a specific press to make them
WC12 Wc 27 2 K38s Mz2 ambulance jeep 2 M3a4s M1a1 Chemical Mortar cart T4e1 usmc cart convertible

Farrell Fox
banned

Post by Farrell Fox » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:13 am

I was able to knock down the chassis over the Easter weekend. It was easier than I anticipated. The chassis will be going to the sand blaster along with a bunch of other parts. I'll be swapping rear axles with the Jeep parked behind it. The only real interesting thing I found was the tinned area on the driver side engine mount. I also recently discovered that MZ-2s do not have studs on the front cross member for radiator ground straps.

AVLB Operator

D.R.H.
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by D.R.H. » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:40 pm

Hey Farrell, I was reading and looking through your thread and boy you are doing a right proper "field day" on your Jeep. It must be very satisfying for you to be at this stage of the restoration. It has taken you quite some time to collect the parts you need, I remember when you were looking for the generator years ago.
The thing I really like about one of the components of your build is the paint match. I have seen a few shades of W.W. 2 Marine Corps Green and they seem to have too much of a "grass hue" for my liking. BUT, the color you had made is very nice and looks more like M.C.G. of the period.
Keep up the good work and have a great day. Dave.
In Loving Memoriam: George R. Hancock. 20 Mar. 1938 - 11 Jan. 2017. U.S.A.F. 1956 - 1962. R.I.P. Dad.
In Loving Memoriam: Ann Hancock, 08 Mar. 1934 - 25 Sept. 2021. R.N. 1960 - 2005. R.I.P. Mom.
Thank You BOTH for always being there.

My YouTube Channel. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaMKEv ... M3g/videos.

Farrell Fox
banned

Post by Farrell Fox » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:22 am

Hi Dave,

Thank you for the kind words! This has definitely been a challenging restoration.

I was able to make a few rear seats. This was another challenge because there were no commercially available dies that could make the bends on top of each other. I had to customize my own, which worked out quite well. I just need to weld on the mounting brackets and these will be done.
AVLB Operator

D.R.H.
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by D.R.H. » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:36 pm

You're welcome Farrell. A challenging resto. will only net a perfect recsult. I can't wait to see it when everything is finished and the truck is back together. You know, being that this has been challenging for you, that means that there aren't many restored examples left in the world. Yours will be an important addition to Our Marine Corps'. history, regardless if it stays in private hands or is donated to a museum when you are too old to drive it. That's what I think anyway..... :)
In Loving Memoriam: George R. Hancock. 20 Mar. 1938 - 11 Jan. 2017. U.S.A.F. 1956 - 1962. R.I.P. Dad.
In Loving Memoriam: Ann Hancock, 08 Mar. 1934 - 25 Sept. 2021. R.N. 1960 - 2005. R.I.P. Mom.
Thank You BOTH for always being there.

My YouTube Channel. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaMKEv ... M3g/videos.

Farrell Fox
banned

Post by Farrell Fox » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:30 pm

Some more radio Jeep parts acquisitions to report. An original glove box door in excellent shape, and some repro hood blocks supplied by Ron. I plan to get some data plates from Robert once he's making plates again.

AVLB Operator

Return to “Jeeps used by: USMC, USN, USCG (-NO EBAY-CRAIGSLIST-COMMERCIAL SALES-)”