U.S.M.C. MZ-2 Radio Jeep restoration.

Modifications by service branch
Farrell Fox
banned
Re: U.S.M.C. MZ-2 Radio Jeep restoration.

Post by Farrell Fox » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:55 am

Wow, amazing that an original glove box door even exists! Robin did great replicating the angles of the brackets.

I'm still waiting for Lloyd's book to show up. I bought it specifically for the MZ material.

Thanks for the photos, Mark. Those answer a lot.
4th Tank Battalion, 4th Marine Division
M1A1 Main Battle Tank Mechanic
M88 Armored Vehicle Recovery Operator
AVLB Operator

Farrell Fox
banned

Post by Farrell Fox » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:49 pm

Time to get some paint matched. I've read a comment made by Mark Tombleson that the Forest Green paint currently available doesn't quite match. I can see quite clearly how that is a true statement. There is an upper portion on this splash shield where the paint was left exposed and oxidized. It more closely matches the currently available paint but still a few shades off. The preserved colors of the forest green from my observation don't even come close to the available paint. Thus forcing one to have the paint matched and custom made.

I found chromate yellow primer in the auxiliary generator cradle. I assume the "Rust Inhibitive Yellow" referred to on the paint specifications.

One thing I've notice is the tub doesn't appear to have been primed. It goes from Forrest Green to bare metal. The generator splash shield pictured above appears to be primered yellow, painted O.D., and then painted A-3266 Forest Green. I assume this is part of the double coating process.
AVLB Operator

Farrell Fox
banned

Post by Farrell Fox » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:05 am

I was at the hardware store and found a yellow primer that is pretty close to the original color primer. It is by Rustoleum, and is rust inhibitive. Since the paint specifications call for it and this is what was originally found on the cradle, I shot it with yellow primer. There was a tree casting its shadow in the early morning hours of my sunlight so the photos aren't that great.

AVLB Operator

Mark Tombleson
MZ Radio Operator

Post by Mark Tombleson » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:32 am

I am sure your tub was primed!

Mine was the reddish brown color. The MZ-2 BOM calls for A-2529 Brown (Class No. 101) primer.

Likewise my generator mount and sheet metal were primed in the Reddish Brown primer... but I see no issue with priming it as you have.

I spent $300 on 1 gallon samples trying to match up the paint but they won't let you use the correct lusterless flattener here in California.

Here is as thread I did on the topic for my MZ-1.

viewtopic.php?f=84&t=189277

It will help to keep in mind my jeep was at the end of the run... in July 1944.

I wish you only the best on your painting, Farrell. :D
MB-NAVY-MZ-1 352625 - 07/20/44 (DOD est.)
U.S.N. 133818
2nd place Restored Class 2008 Portland Convention
MVPA Hall of Fame - 2013

Farrell Fox
banned

Post by Farrell Fox » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:29 am

Thanks Mark!

Your thread was very informative. Sounds like another up hill chase will be in store.
AVLB Operator

Farrell Fox
banned

Post by Farrell Fox » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:45 pm

Paint sample came back and I am pleased to say it's a dead ringer match thanks to a guy with paint skills! It even matches in different lighting. I wish I could show it in sun light, unfortunately it's been raining ever since I got the sample back. I have the paint code and will be having a few gallons made. They are even going to can some for me in aerosol spray cans for small parts painting and touch ups.

Finally, some sun light!

AVLB Operator

Marty, SoCal
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Marty, SoCal » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:24 pm

Looks to be the same USMC #23 shade of synthetic enamal paint (Semi-Gloss) as I got from the scrap pile when I was in 4th Tanks in the late 80's. We painted my friend's CJ-5 with it a couple years ago. It is "greener" than the USMC paint sold by Gillesipe.:

Pretty much a dead on match for the paint as seen in your last picture.
43 Ford GPW 92098
53 Dunbar Kapple M100
Sold: 61 CJ-5, 41 T207 WC-1 Dodge closed cab pickup
MVPA #8266
USMC Tanker (1811, 1812), 85-93
ASE Automotive Master tech, former Chrysler-Jeep Level 4 Mastertech, CA state EA smog license

Farrell Fox
banned

Post by Farrell Fox » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:11 pm

Would you happen to still have that paint can? It sure does look pretty close.
AVLB Operator

Farrell Fox
banned

Post by Farrell Fox » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:32 pm

I finally received my paint and did some painting today. My generator is officially the first assembly that I have completed. Once the paint cures I will have it assembled and then boxed up till it's ready to be installed in the jeep. Although I realized only afterwards that the cover has a missing stud........ :roll: So that will have to be fixed.

Last edited by Farrell Fox on Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AVLB Operator

Beers
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Beers » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:08 pm

Looks great Farrell! That color is really nice...
1943 MB 213301 DOD 2-22-43

Farrell Fox
banned

Post by Farrell Fox » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:25 pm

Thank you! Hard to get a real perspective from a paper paint card sample. I must say, I am so glad they got a near if not perfect match.
AVLB Operator

Farrell Fox
banned

Post by Farrell Fox » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:37 pm

When I first got my MZ-2, I was partnered with someone who liked tinkering but was not accustomed doing things the right way and slowly lost interest in the project. I have since bought the Jeep outright, and done as much damage control as possible. So when I matched my paint with the genny splash shield, I was certain the color was right, but not having a 2nd original sample to go by bothered me.

Today while removing a windshield hold down latch that was lazily left there, a reinforcement plate fell off. To my excitement, it had the jeeps original paint still left untouched on the back side. Just as well preserved as I remember the floor was. I was even more thrilled to find that the paint I had made matches perfectly to the paint on the bracket. My paint guy would have loved to have this part, rather than that splash shield I gave him. :roll:

Oddly enough, the hood was primed with black and not the typical red oxide. Good enough for me since I plan to use black epoxy primer.

Last edited by Farrell Fox on Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
AVLB Operator

Mark Tombleson
MZ Radio Operator

Post by Mark Tombleson » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:47 pm

You have seen enough photos to know you are as close as it gets, Farrell. :D :wink:
MB-NAVY-MZ-1 352625 - 07/20/44 (DOD est.)
U.S.N. 133818
2nd place Restored Class 2008 Portland Convention
MVPA Hall of Fame - 2013

Farrell Fox
banned

Post by Farrell Fox » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:12 pm

Did some investigating on my gear boxes today.

T84: October 30, 1944

Dana 18: October 27, 1944

I've got an MB front axle and GPW rear axle. The front axle is dated Nov. 10, 1944, luckily the rear axle in my MB is also dated Nov. 10, 1944!
Last edited by Farrell Fox on Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:35 am, edited 4 times in total.
AVLB Operator

Farrell Fox
banned

Post by Farrell Fox » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:43 pm

While searching ebay for TCS units to put together to replace my set that was stolen, I found a transmitter listed for a decent buy-it-now deal. I wrote the seller a message and asked if he had any more parts and if he would combine shipping. He said, "as a matter of fact, I have a whole set I would consider selling". We exchanged contact info, and he turned out to be a very nice man from back East. Long story short, I bought that set, and they just arrived today. My friend's who picked up the pallet, stayed to watch the unpacking. We were all impressed with the way everything was packed!

This is an unissued, NOS, matching serial number TCS-13 transmitter and receiver, accepted on the 2nd anniversary of the Doolittle Raid on Tokyo, April 18, 1944. What does matching serials number mean? The serial number on both radio units is 585, and were paired up by Hamilton at their manufacturing facility back in 1944. They have never left each other.
Included were NOS power cables, dynamotor, remote control unit, and antenna loading coil. This set was powered up and tested, and is fully functional. Not pictured are the rails and extra shock absorbers. Last Tower Park I found the J-45 leg key, TS-17 hand mic. and have the MP-57 with cover. The only thing I am missing is a set of head phones. I think I also need a correct antenna cable?

AVLB Operator

Return to “Jeeps used by: USMC, USN, USCG (-NO EBAY-CRAIGSLIST-COMMERCIAL SALES-)”