HANGAR 1 FLASHBACK

and other stuff up in the air
Ben Dover
Gee Addict

HANGAR 1 FLASHBACK

Post by Ben Dover » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:16 am

Just came back from my daily stop between DOW Field Hangar 1 and the now General Aviation Building.
The General Aviation Building used to be Base Operations Building and the "SAC Weather Shack" prior to the base closing in 1968.
Major "Stinky Stu", Retired SAC Weather Officer, and a former supervisor of mine was the Weather Officer prior to the base closing. We called him "Stinky Stu" because of his couple three hours a day logged on the toilet. One of our informal duties was policing the Vodka nip bottles out of his favorite stall. Stu was never aware with anything current and was the ultimate procrastinator. He and his boss, a WWII B-24 Pilot always would remember where they were on April 12, 1943 but did not recall yesterday or today's schedule. He was proud of the little things that made life easier and would flaunt his unique brainstorms to all including the secretary. One day he told her "I always thought there was another use for these Preparation H Tips", and proudly showed her how he used them on his Bic Pens to replace missing tips.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

Return to “Warbirds - Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY) and Knowledge Base”