1950's DOW FIELD

and other stuff up in the air
Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

1950's DOW FIELD

Post by Joe Gopan » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:50 pm

The 50's were exciting years for me with the family business just 50'' across the Main Gate. Hangar flying by WWII and Korean War Vets with their service still fresh in their young minds. One of the Dow field enlisted airmen was a WWII Stuka pilot during his WWII service. We were the first dealer for Fisher Snow Plows and I can remember being excited when the Base sent over one of their M-38's for an estimate to install a Fisher Plow.
Dow had a squadron of KB-29's during the 52-55 period, it was common to se the KB-29's returning with an engine out, I watched one come in and dance all over the runway with one engine out, it was scary to watch. Remember watching Senator Margaret Chase Smith get a T-33 ride, Colonel P.E. Tukey, MeANG was the pilot.
Dow Field Base Supply had monthly retail sales of surplus items back then. I can remember us buying a couple crated CCKW Closed Cab Windshields, and what later was discovered to be a NOS M-38 Carburetor and Starter. 10 Years later I got an 11PM call from the local Army Guard they needed a carburetor for an M-38 and a slave cable for a 1-1/2 Ton Trailer and were moving out for Camp Drum at 0600 next morning, Midnite Auto Supply really works, a mechanic came over and took the one off my own M-38.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

Return to “Warbirds - Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY) and Knowledge Base”