Continental Tank Engine

Armor, Military Vehicles, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
m26a1tom
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Continental Tank Engine

Post by m26a1tom » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:35 am

I have stumbled upon what was advertised as a WWII tank engine. After further investigation, I have found that it is, what I believe to be, a Continental AOI-1195 air cooled flat 8. The only known application that I have been able to find for this engine is an experimental tank known as the T95, developed between 1953 and 1959.

I know that similar 6 cylinder 895 CID versions of this engine were used in some APCs, tanks, etc., and I know that many of the parts will interchange. However, I am unable to find any other applications for this particular engine.

Does anybody know what these engines were used for?

Does anyone have an idea about the value of this engine?

I am too technologically challenged to post pictures, but I will gladly text or email them to any interested parties.

Any help and information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Tommy

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Re: Continental Tank Engine

Post by W. Winget » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:03 am

Neat find, but limited uses...
It appears to have also been used in a super experimental (only 50 ton :shock: ) XM376 (front unit) and XM377 (rear unit) tank retriever.
Some neat history of that 35mph vehicle set on this web page half way down:https://www.bigmacktrucks.com/profile/5 ... st&page=43

Not too many uses, the Fort Benning Armor School museum has a T-95 (they might want to acquire it for spares or display beside the tank) or there's Danville tank museum (it's closer to you) but they would likely want a donation...I think the last T-95 I saw was out at Washington State NG Hq in Tacoma across from JBLM, but it may have been the T110, super big tanks.

You could build a BIG Porsche / VW Bug with it...
V/R W Winget
Smithfield, Va.
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

Return to “Armor”