M20 question

Armor, Military Vehicles, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
RMoore
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

M20 question

Post by RMoore » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:01 pm

I have a M20 that was completely rebuilt. The problem that I am having is going up inclines or hills. The car gets slower and slower and slower, sometimes on a steep hill I have to stop and move out in first gear again. It runs fine on level roads and I have gone 50+MPH on the interstate.
I realize that the 100 hp Hercules engine is underpowered and some slowdown is normal, but this is to the point where it almost creeps along and sometimes jumps until you push the clutch in to keep from killing the engine.
Does anyone have any ideas on why it is doing this?
Thanks,
Bob

John Neuenburg
Gee Old Hand

Re: M20 question

Post by John Neuenburg » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:05 am

RMoore wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:01 pm
I have a M20 that was completely rebuilt. The problem that I am having is going up inclines or hills. The car gets slower and slower and slower, sometimes on a steep hill I have to stop and move out in first gear again. It runs fine on level roads and I have gone 50+MPH on the interstate.
I realize that the 100 hp Hercules engine is underpowered and some slowdown is normal, but this is to the point where it almost creeps along and sometimes jumps until you push the clutch in to keep from killing the engine.
Does anyone have any ideas on why it is doing this?
Thanks,
Bob
Maybe you are towing an M8??? :D

If it goes full speed on the flat with no tail wind it is making horsepower and doesn't have a dragging brake, which is the first thing for people to check if it doesn't go over 45 (these like the shoes adjusted close). Shouldn't need to go to 1st on a typical public road hill. Up a freeway grade I don't remember having to go below third. When you are at 45 or 50 are you floored? If not, remove the air intake elbow and look in the carb when the pedal is down all the way to make sure it is open all the way. If that's OK I wonder is something is happening with the carb to make it run flat at full throttle opening. But could be there is no mixture difference between 75% and 100% throttle.

I wonder what could change when the car tilts up in the front.... ???
Military Vehicle Collectors of California
MVPA 7404
1942 Ford GPW British Special Air Service Regiment Replica
1944 Willys MB
1941 Indian 640
BSA Folding Bicycles
M1942 Command Post Tent

Return to “Armor”