Willys MB original tire chain bag wanted!

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW, Wanted jeeps or parts... list your needs.
Kazemiro
G-Private
G-Private
Willys MB original tire chain bag wanted!

Post by Kazemiro » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:04 am

Hi everyone!

bit of a background: my "soon-to-be father in law" has a 1944 Willys MB in France. couple of weeks ago I got to drive it for the 1st time! (i guess you can say things are pretty serious now :P )

He mentioned he has the original chains, however the bags are french, and not American.

Do you know where i can find 1 or 2 original chain bags (1941-1945 wesco or any other). I think the "old" man would go nuts if i got them these for xmas.

any advice/help is much appreciated.

thanks!! :D

Kazemiro
G-Private
G-Private
Re: Willys MB original tire chain bag wanted!

Post by Kazemiro » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:06 am

Forgot to mention i am based in the UK (near Heathrow, for reference).

Thanks!

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:42 am

You might have to settle for repop chain bags if you are trying to get these for this coming Christmas.
They usually rotted out in a few years so even chain bags from the '50s are far and few between and usually come with unused chains in them.

Good luck in the search and keep us posted if you find original WWII chain bags for an MB (or GPW) out there someplace!
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

Kazemiro
G-Private
G-Private

Post by Kazemiro » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:42 am

Hi Chuck!

Thanks for the reply! I have to admit that this is not really my thing, that's why I thought the bags would be around.

I will defo keep an eye out for original ones, but might get some new ones just so the in-law can look at them and not go crazy everytime cos they're not American! :D

As a noob that i am, I've read chains were manufactured by wesco for willys mbs - would you say this is the case?
Just asking to tighten the search a bit more..

Again, thanks for all the help!

Cheers
Kazemiro

Chuck Lutz wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:42 am
You might have to settle for repop chain bags if you are trying to get these for this coming Christmas.
They usually rotted out in a few years so even chain bags from the '50s are far and few between and usually come with unused chains in them.

Good luck in the search and keep us posted if you find original WWII chain bags for an MB (or GPW) out there someplace!

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:14 pm

Kaz....I would prefer to defer to the Willys guys who know more about that than I do...which mfger and which type would be the questions to ask...along with what even a GOOD repop chain bag should look like...
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

Adam
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Adam » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:27 am

I dont see chain bags on rons parts pages, Anybody on here making these, though I saw some for sale a few years back

ADam

Return to “MB GPW Wanted”