Warning New Engine Builder/Shop wanted

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW, Wanted jeeps or parts... list your needs.
Mike Soltis
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Warning New Engine Builder/Shop wanted

Post by Mike Soltis » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:09 am

Guys My current engine builder hasn't delivered on a usable GPW engine as he had said he would & agreed to. After12 months & still no engine I think its time to move on. It sucks because he has been paid in full & I'm still without a usable engine.
I will say this is the first time I have had any issues with a supplier & or person off this website or tied to this hobby.
So I'm in the market for another well know reputable builder who has a GPW Engine that they actually can build. I am located in the Chicagoland area & ideally the closer the better. But open to other options Any help would be appreciated Regards, Mike
Last edited by Mike Soltis on Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
1942 GPW 81835 Chester, PA. USA 20186310
1946 Bantam T3C (SOLD)
1991 M101A2
MVPA Member

artificer
banned

Re: New Engine Builder/Shop wanted

Post by artificer » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:25 am

Google....
Abraham's Machine Services
Davenport IA
John GIBBINS Member Institute of Automotive Mechanical Engineers [Ret], ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck & Auto Technician USA -2002 Licensed Motor Mech NSW MVIC 49593 Current 2015
TO DIAGNOSE, TROUBLESHOOT OR FAULT FIND ANY AUTO SYSTEM....
Understand how system parts interact with one another. GOOD parts can then be established & the NOT GOOD problem/s part/s isolated for repair or replacement.

Bart1015
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Bart1015 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:01 pm

Mark Bello, Sonoma County Ca.

I have a GPW engine but by him and its amazing. Everything is balanced, ported and runs very smooth. It will cost several thousand dollars but it will not need to return to the shop. It would be worth shipping the engine to him.

I have another engine that was done by different shop. This engine is fine and runs great. But, Mark's engine runs smoother and is much faster off the line and does not feel like its going to fly apart at 50mph.

Brett
1942 VEP GPW, J-2 winch, BC-659, 1919a4
1945 GPW, 1943 MBT
Sold - 1967 M151a1, 1943 MB, M416
www.ToThePointPolygraph.com

Mark Jesic
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Mark Jesic » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:14 am

Name and shame him Mike, as a warning to our members, this type of thing seems to happen worldwide, there are good guys out there though.

Mike Soltis
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Mike Soltis » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:42 am

as of Today I still don't have an engine & it looks like I will not get what I PAID for & he agreed to build me. I think I have been both fair & patient with him but enough is enough. The engine I received & installed 6/24/17 where I had to wait 3 days for a replacement timing chain cover. (they put the wrong type on) once a replacement cover was sent I installed it The first time it was driven & back on the road was 7/17/17 where it lasted 48 Miles & cracked so I've been stuck again without an engine & with no commitment as to when another is to be expected Since he will not commit to a delivery date for a replacement & also will not refund my money I've had to settle for him using an MB Block vs the Ford I was told I would get. When I will get this replacement God only knows... he refuses to refund any money to compensate for not getting a ford which is wrong in my opinion. Anyway I would strongly suggest anyone entering into any type of transaction with TONKA JEEP of Minnesota be very careful I suggest looking else where if you are contacted by him. I would be more than willing to share all the emails of my endeavor should someone want to enter into any type of work agreement with him. It pains me that this is the way it has gone. Mike
1942 GPW 81835 Chester, PA. USA 20186310
1946 Bantam T3C (SOLD)
1991 M101A2
MVPA Member

Weaseler
G-Major
G-Major
Re: Warning New Engine Builder/Shop wanted

Post by Weaseler » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:56 am

I heard about tonnka jeep from a guy who had his jeep restored there poor quality i seen pics of the jeep very poor quality

artificer
banned

Re: Warning New Engine Builder/Shop wanted

Post by artificer » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:13 am

If Mike paid with a credit card especially with documentation he should have the charge reversed.
John GIBBINS Member Institute of Automotive Mechanical Engineers [Ret], ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck & Auto Technician USA -2002 Licensed Motor Mech NSW MVIC 49593 Current 2015
TO DIAGNOSE, TROUBLESHOOT OR FAULT FIND ANY AUTO SYSTEM....
Understand how system parts interact with one another. GOOD parts can then be established & the NOT GOOD problem/s part/s isolated for repair or replacement.

Return to “MB GPW Wanted”