FOUND Original Spring Hanger for MB Frame

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW, Wanted jeeps or parts... list your needs.
uglyjeep
Sergeant Major of the Gee

FOUND Original Spring Hanger for MB Frame

Post by uglyjeep » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:32 pm

Hello,
I am looking for a shackle end spring hanger to repair a Willys MB frame under GPW 3823. I actually only need the tube that the shackle bushing threads into. Tube must be in great condition, and still have the shallow threading for the shackle bushing. The rest of the bracket can be junk, as I really just need the little tube to repair my shackle hanger. If no used ones materialize I will look for a new one, but I really prefer an original. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Thank you,
Daniel
Last edited by uglyjeep on Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ian Fawbert
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: WTB Original Spring Hanger for MB Frame

Post by Ian Fawbert » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:56 am

Hi Daniel,

At one stage, there was (still should be!) either NOS or remanufactured threaded tubes with dealers- i`m talking in the last year or 2 I`ve seen them advertised online somewhere . The idea being, you cut the worn threaded tube out and weld a new one in. Perhaps it was Brent Mullins who I last saw had them and it was on ebay? I believe they maybe have been a M series part, but that could be false.

Ben Dover might have an idea what I am talking about, he's been around long enough to see the parts come and go! Micheal Browne (Brown?) from Australia (name is G username) was talking about them a few years back with me here on the G for a similar question when it was raised- I am sure a search will yield something with our names and generic terms.

Anyway, the piece you want is able to be found by itself if that is easier than buying a whole hanger.

Good luck,
Ian.
Australian Jeep Investigator
MB: 131175
GPW: 11730.
GPW: 225290.
Aust trailer: GMH 3- #211
http://www.vintageengines.net

uglyjeep

Re: WTB Original Spring Hanger for MB Frame

Post by uglyjeep » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:18 am

Thanks Ian,

That does sound exactly like what I am looking for. I have made a special rig with a hole saw that removes the old tubes cleanly without damaging the hanger bracket. Then, I slide the replacement tube in place and secure it with a couple of welds. It works like a charm, and I do not have to disturb the factory rivets securing the spring hangers.

Thanks again for the advice, I will look for some of these NOS tubes at the dealers as well in case no used offers pop up.

Cheers,
Daniel

uglyjeep

Re: FOUND Original Spring Hanger for MB Frame

Post by uglyjeep » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:19 pm

Thanks everyone,

It took a bit of digging, but I found reproduction threaded inserts for the spring hangers available online.

Thank you,
Daniel

Return to “MB GPW Wanted”