Switch Box

M274 Mechanical Mule Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
Grummanflyer
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Switch Box

Post by Grummanflyer » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:34 pm

In case anybody wants to see exactly what you get from John Emery when you decide to convert your mule to a switch box and a proper ignition switch, here it is. I am installing an electric fuel pump after many months of hard starting and decided to go ahead and do it right. There is an extra hole in the front but I have plans for that as well. Auto Shop Teacher asked if I knew of a switch that used a real key instead of a lawn mower switch and when I talked to John, he said he had them so I ordered that as well. Plenty of connections for things like lights, etc on the back and he includes a drawing just in case there is any confusion. Well worth the cost in my opinion. Box $35.00 and switch $36.00 plus shipping.

GF

I have guns.
You don't want me to have guns.
I won't give you my guns.
YOUR MOVE!

Auto Shop teacher
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Switch Box

Post by Auto Shop teacher » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:00 am

I LOVE my steering column box I bought from John years ago, and put my headlight switch in the smaller hole. The whole rig works great. I am going to give him a call about his real cut key ignition switch because I have worn out two of those cheap garden tractor switches. Do you have a photo of the lug end of the switch?

Grummanflyer
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Grummanflyer » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:15 pm

I have guns.
YOUR MOVE!

Auto Shop teacher
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Auto Shop teacher » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:15 am

Thanks for the photos, the switch is much more robust than the garden tractor switch that I use now. How does John suggest you connect a ground wire to the switch housing to ground the mag in the off position?

Grummanflyer
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Grummanflyer » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:51 pm

Auto Shop teacher wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:15 am
Thanks for the photos, the switch is much more robust than the garden tractor switch that I use now. How does John suggest you connect a ground wire to the switch housing to ground the mag in the off position?
He just says make sure the switch housing is grounded. About the only way I see to do that is fasten it securely in the box and then attach a ground wire in the box. Probably not a bad idea since the steering column is not really mounted hard and fast to the frame. It would probably be OK without the ground wire since there is the steering column support with that lock knob but it's not a big deal to add a wire and it's only necessary so the off position grounds the mag when you turn the key off.

GF
I have guns.
YOUR MOVE!

LifeLongWNYer
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by LifeLongWNYer » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:54 pm

I have purchased a few things from John, and have always been happy with the outcome. ( EVEN more so with my conversations with him on the phone when ordering )

I am 100% certain the switch box would be a good thing, but I am "sort of" happy with my existing switch. That said, please send/post a picture of your switch box when it is mounted and complete, I might want to convert my Mule.

Thank you,

JBP
Rush, NY

Small Military Fleet, only one lonely A2 Mule,
But several other antiques, including me!

Grummanflyer
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Grummanflyer » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:02 pm

Got the switchbox mounted.

There was an extra hole in the faceplate so I added an alternator out light. The pic above is with the key off and the one below is with the key on but the engine not started. This is a simple one wire hookup and I think it's a worthy addition since the engine cooling fan and the alternator both run off the same drive belt. This is a "press to test light" that I ordered from one of my aviation parts suppliers which lets you push the button just to verify the bulb is good but any old 12volt light will work. All you need to do is feed the bulb 12 volts when the key is on and run a wire to terminal #1 on the alternator. Run that wire to the other side of the bulb. This terminal is positive when the engine is running and will go to ground when the alternator stops making voltage. Easy as pie and works just like the idiot light did on the older cars.

Also got my new fuel pump installed and boy does that ever make a difference in how this baby starts. No choke for me anymore. Here's the fuel filter and new fitting installed and a pic of the housing and new filter before paint. I used a Piper gascolator gasket instead of the one that came with the filter. Looked kind of hinky to me and I know the Piper gasket is good for aviation fuel.

I also used reduced diameter "jet nuts" on the carb. They are a whole bunch easier to start and the smaller wrench size needed makes replacing the carb much easier.

Got my passenger foot basket done too and added a headlight. I'll post that stuff in the original foot basket thread.

GF
I have guns.
YOUR MOVE!

LifeLongWNYer
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by LifeLongWNYer » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:21 pm

Thanks for the picture of the switch box. It is a nice looking piece. That said, you piqued my curiosity with your comment about the fuel pump. I won't highjack this tread by going on here, but that is something that I need to pursue.

Thanks,

JBP
Rush, NY

LifeLongWNYer
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by LifeLongWNYer » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:22 pm

Thanks for the picture of the switch box. It is a nice looking piece. That said, you piqued my curiosity with your comment about the fuel pump. I won't highjack this tread by going on here, but that is something that I need to pursue.

Thanks,

JBP
Rush, NY

Auto Shop teacher
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Auto Shop teacher » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:44 am

Great pictures of your ignition switch installation GF. Do you know of a source for the push to test light that isn't rated for aircraft? The price always seems to double when you add an airworthiness rating to any part.

Grummanflyer
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Grummanflyer » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:51 pm

I bought those off e-bay. I checked my normal supplier for them first and they wanted a STUPID amount of money. They are the same part but without the FAA PMA (Parts Manufacturing Approval). Since it's highly unlikely that I will be hauling passengers around in the clouds in my mule, I figured it was a safe gamble. :D
I have guns.
YOUR MOVE!

Pennie's fun ride
G-Civilian

Post by Pennie's fun ride » Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:35 pm

Tell me all bout that light. I want one.

Grummanflyer
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Grummanflyer » Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:13 pm

You can use any 12 volt indicator that you want. I kind of like the press to test lights and when we were hauling ammo at Knob Creek, sometimes the mule ran a long time without being shut off so it was nice to verify the bulb. This is the same circuit the old cars had for an idiot light on the oil pressure or the water temp. You can search for "press to test aircraft indicator lights" on ebay or you could find one at an aircraft salvage yard. I got lucky and found a red one but they come in several colors. You can find them on the "aircraft spruce and specialty" website but you are not gonna like the price. Ebay or a salvage yard are your cheapest options.
I have guns.
YOUR MOVE!

Return to “Mule M274”