oil level too high

M274 Mechanical Mule Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
markrdje
USMC Sergeant
USMC Sergeant
oil level too high

Post by markrdje » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:21 am

The oil level is a good half inch above the full mark.I can't smell gas on the dip stick, but this has been at least the second time this has happened and I've replaced the fuel pump each time ,the mule gets driven 15 minutes a week,maybe more, I'll have to look to see how long it has been since it last happened.
change user name to mark

muleman7
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Re: oil level too high

Post by muleman7 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:20 am

Drain oil out and carefully fill so it is exactly at the full mark check several times. run engine for 5 minutes and let it sit till cool and check again. If still at the full mark operate the mule normally your schedule and keep checking.

If it continues to show 1/2" above full then it is the fuel pump diaphragm. You may have gotten a pump that looked new but has sat long enough to dry rot.

I have not run into any other situation that could cause the oil level to increase. The full pump is the only thing attached to the mule that could introduce a fluid into the crankcase.

If your carb is running over rich then you would have black smoke out the muffler and an engine that would eventually smother out. It is unlikely that excess full in the cylinder would get past the rings.

All current fuel pumps available are the Airtex [the double hump] if you want I can supple the original AC 4 screw flat top fuel pumps that have been rebuilt with a new diaphragm and check valves. this will withstand the Ethanol fuel and has a shelf life of 20 years.

Contact me via e-mail check my contact button or PM. I will be gone from 13-21 Nov on a trip.

Original fuel pump AC

Kit for AC fuel pump with Buna N diaphragm/to gasket and Viton check valves

Mules are my passion
www.m274armymules.com

markrdje
USMC Sergeant
USMC Sergeant
Re: oil level too high

Post by markrdje » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:46 pm

Thanks Charles for the feedback, Yes I already have one of your fuel pumps, not sure if it's the one currently on the mule, I'll finish up on it tomorrow.
change user name to mark

Return to “Mule M274”