Brake and linkage on A5

M274 Mechanical Mule Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
rgmutchler
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Brake and linkage on A5

Post by rgmutchler » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:32 am

I am going to have to take apart my brakes and see why they are not releasing properly. In searching the forum for info I ran across a post by Chuck W.
in this post;
viewtopic.php?f=79&t=264579&p=1541692&h ... s#p1541692

In it he posted a picture of the brake linkage. I have looked through the manuals I have and have been unable to find the diagram. I would like to see it to get the key to the reference numbers for the parts listed. Below is a copy of the diagram that was posted.

My second question is what is the torque for the drive shaft flange behind the brake drum. I was thinking that when I replaced the seal there 7 or 8 years ago that it was 250 ft lbs. The page in my manual that might have the torque table is not completely printed.

Any info about the two questions is appreciated as is any other advice about the brakes not releasing properly or the brakes in general.
RGMutchler
M274A5
M38

muleman7
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Re: Brake and linkage on A5

Post by muleman7 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:13 pm

Your Pic appears to be from TM9-2320-246-34P Dec 1969. The following are the Lists that will give you info about the item according to their #s.

Check all clevis pins and rotating arms that they turn freely. Remove the brake drum check the swing arms holding the brakes that they turn freely. Check that the spacers on the swing arms are free.1 spring on each shoe should be enough to bring shoes to release. The spring on the arm to bed is for the Emr Brake.

Contact me via e-mail if you need parts or further help.

Torque Settings for Front Pinion Nut 80-100 lb ft

Mules are my passion
www.m274armymules.com

rgmutchler
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Re: Brake and linkage on A5

Post by rgmutchler » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:19 pm

Charles,
Thanks, I have TM9-2320-246-34 dated Dec. 1967, not TM9-2320-246-34P dated 1969.
I will print out the listings you put in your message and put it with the diagram that I have already printed out.

Turns out I didn't have to take the drive flange off. I pulled two of the pins on the linkage, they were gauled in their linkage, I cleaned them up, put some anti-seize on them and the brake started releasing correctly. I took off the drive shaft and checked the brake shoe etc and all looked good.

The 4ws is really neat wish I had done it a long time ago.
RGMutchler
M274A5
M38

Return to “Mule M274”