Hauling a mule

M274 Mechanical Mule Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
Grummanflyer
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Hauling a mule

Post by Grummanflyer » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:25 pm

I found the dimension for the wheel base for a mule in the manual but I need to know the dimensions from the rear end to the center of the front tires. I am going to haul it in an F-150 pickup truck (I think) and am planning on backing it in. The problem is , it's not a standard long bed so I'm thinking the tailgate will stay down. There is a toolbox I would just as soon not have to remove unless I have to. Has anybody got any ideas or do I need to take a trailer with me?

Many Thanks

John
I have guns.
You don't want me to have guns.
I won't give you my guns.
YOUR MOVE!

nickd
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Re: Hauling a mule

Post by nickd » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:01 pm

John,
If you don't want to remove the tool box from your short bed, Yo will need a trailer.
1986 M998 & M1102 trailer
2 M275A5 1 with 4ws

1 M274 w/106 recoilless rifle and all accessories FOR SALE with spare rear transaxle and transmission

1 M274 W/TOW removed from the inventory
1 m274 w4ws
M102 105 mm Howitzer
75mm pack Howitzer
John Deere military gator
1986 Humvee with 6.5 non turbo slant back, armored turret and gunners shield

Grummanflyer
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Grummanflyer » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:06 pm

So then, it will fit in a 6&1/2 foot pickup bed if I remove the tool box?

John
I have guns.
YOUR MOVE!

muleman7
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by muleman7 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:45 pm

Yes BUT you will need to take 2 2x6 x 8' treated or 2x8 x 8' treated. I suggest treated as it will be southern yellow pine and much stronger than the spruce used in house construction.

Back the mule in and the front tires will be on the 2x6-8. This will take the load off the tailgate. Put a buffer [rubber pad or pasteboard] between the back of the mule and headboard keeping the mule away from any possible contact with the glass or headboard

If you have cleats in the bed or near the bed at the front strap from the front lifting loops to the cleats. You can run a strap under the tailgate and trailer hitch then to the front bed loop to secure the front.

Do the same for the rear using the bed loops to the cleats this will secure the back.

On a trailer I use one 2" strap across the frame tubes in front of the gas tank and pull it TIGHT. Put the mule in 1st / Low and set the emr brake. Or any way you feel comfortable. The lifting loops are part of the slinging connections and will hold the mule securely.

I use the frame tubes because I do not like loading the edge of the bed with straps. Except using the bed loops. The front one will take more stress then the rear.
Mules are my passion
www.m274armymules.com

Grummanflyer
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Grummanflyer » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:07 pm

That's kind of what I had in mind anyway but was hoping to keep the box in the truck but if I have to take it out, I guess I will. My truck does have factory tie downs mounted to the bed inside walls. I've hauled a few airplanes in my time across the country. It gets a little tricky keeping stuff from shifting around.

Thanks
John
I have guns.
YOUR MOVE!

Return to “Mule M274”