New (to me) mule intro

M274 Mechanical Mule Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
No. 7
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class
New (to me) mule intro

Post by No. 7 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:04 pm

Hi everyone. I've enjoyed reading up on my mule from this forum. I've owned the mule for a little over a week and got interested in them when I stumbled across one on eBay a year or so ago. I intend to maintain the vehicle to a relatively original standard and expect to be doing a bit of work to get it up to par starting soon. Basic maintenance first (hubs, wear items, bushings, etc) then on to some cosmetics and light surface rust underneath.

UPDATED with photos. Couple questions to start. What wheels are these - the wide ones with the reinforcements around then valve stem? I have these on my mule but haven't seen others posted yet with the same set. I'm also curious if there's a reasonable way to retrofit the pull starter, or is that a dumb idea? I have a nicely done electric kit but I hate battery maintenance and this one will sit much more often than it'll be used.

Thanks in advance for any feedback and general comments from the site. I look forward to interacting with you all.

Regards,

Jim
Attachments
Mule wheel - Copy.JPG
Mule wheel - Copy.JPG (254.57 KiB) Viewed 1831 times
Mule rear - Copy.JPG
Mule rear - Copy.JPG (236.15 KiB) Viewed 1833 times
Mule number plate - Copy.JPG
Mule number plate - Copy.JPG (241.72 KiB) Viewed 1834 times
Mule front - Copy.JPG
Mule front - Copy.JPG (244.14 KiB) Viewed 1832 times
Mule fender - Copy.JPG
Mule fender - Copy.JPG (225.22 KiB) Viewed 1833 times
Mule engine - Copy.JPG
Mule engine - Copy.JPG (246.88 KiB) Viewed 1833 times
Mule bed - Copy.JPG
Mule bed - Copy.JPG (245.57 KiB) Viewed 1833 times
Last edited by No. 7 on Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Auto Shop teacher
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel
Re: New (to me) mule intro

Post by Auto Shop teacher » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:39 pm

Welcome aboard, please feel free to ask questions because some of the guys here have forgotten more info about mules than the rest of us know.

As for going back to pull start, I hope you are ruff-tough-and buff as a mule sitting for long periods of time will take many, many pulls of the rope to pump fuel back up from the gas tank to the carburetor. On top of that, the fuel we buy today starts breaking down after 4 to 6 months and your mule isn't going to start and run like it will with fresh fuel. A battery that has clean and tight electrical connections coated with grease to keep things that way hooked up to a small trickle charger is about as cheap insurance as you can buy to make sure your mule is ready to go when you are.

Don't forget to add fuel stabilizer in the gas tank if your mule goes into hibernation for a long time.

No. 7
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by No. 7 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:54 am

Thanks for the reply. Good point about a dry carb, hadn’t thought about that. I do intend to use avgas and always do use fuel stabilizer for the vehicles that sit, so hopefully varnish and etoh issues are minimized. I appreciate the insights.

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:32 am

Nice looking mule. That is an unusual data plate. The 297685 serial number does not fit anywhere in my database neither M274A1 or M274A4. The date is also unusual, the 6/64 would be correct for an M274A1 , but the R767 does not fit the M274A4 timeframe, must be a rebuild/refit date. Also don't see a registration number stamped on the plate.

Wheels are standard wide rims with guards added to the valve stem area.

Believe me, if you plan to use your mule at all, keep the electric start. I have a complete pull start assembly I will sell, but you don't really want it!!

I also see you have the original flat-top fuel pump. You might want to get a rebuild kit from Charles Witt and rebuild it now before it fails and fills your engine full of gas.
Last edited by Chuck W. on Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

muleman7
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by muleman7 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:32 am

Welcome to the Mule Community

Your wheels are the wide wheels provided through a Depot Modification generally done at Fort Campbell when the A5s where updated to wide wheels, electric start, electronic ignition, fenders, modified steering, alternator and battery.

The tires would be 26 x 1200 x 12 goodyear STG

The original tires were 7.50 x 10 goodyear or denman

Your data plate says M274-A4 which was the M274-A1 4cyl retrofitted with a 2cyl AO42 engine and re-designated to an A4.

The back engine guard is from a M274 the M274-A1 guard held the hand crank where the hand crank for the M274 was stowed in the foot basket.

Your engine has the original AC 4 screw fuel pump and if you notice fuel in your oil the diaphgram is bad and I have rebuild kits for this pump and you will not have to remove it from the engine to rebuild.

The data plate shows date of del 6/64 R 767 This could be the original date of del for the M274-A1 and R [retrofitted] date 767 ????????????

E-Mail or PM if you need parts or help
Mules are my passion
www.m274armymules.com

No. 7
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by No. 7 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:40 pm

Thank you for your comments. I'm interested in learning more about the history of this mule. It seems from what you and Chuck are saying, mine is a combination of an M274, -A1, -A4 and -A5 features? I'm curious if all mules updated at Ft. Campbell were updated to the same spec? Is there any way to know if my electric start is home-grown or from a government update? And if there's anyone with input on what the "R" designation on the number plate means, I'd love to know.

As to parts I sent you a PM.

Thanks again.

Jim

muleman7
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by muleman7 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:53 pm

Jim

My understanding is the government mods to the A5s with wide wheels, fenders, mod steering, electronic ignition, alternator, battery and the starter switch mounted on the steering column were all done the same.

I provide the following info to give you a better understanding of the parts added to your mule. Most mule can be modified many ways using original parts as they are very similar and interchangable.

Some one has installed wide tires, the m274 engine guard, a bolt instead of pin in the tow bar yoke, non original long ignition cable mag to spark plug, added the valve stem protectors, added an extra spring from gov high speed stop screw to carb throttle lever, installed a copper intake vent line from air cleaner to engine, copper fuel line from sediment bowl inlet to maybe the union at the rear interior bed support, your front tie rod end connected to the swing arm of the steering gear appears to be the greasable old style found on the M274 [missing the grease fitting], your cargo bar protecting the shifter and emr brake and your bottom seat cushion is not original. The spacers on the engine guard are correct allowing clearance for the 2 cyl engine.

The electric starter was used on a VW Beatle with an automatic transmission converted to fit the mule. The adapter plate was welded to the starter housing allowing it to lay to the side. This unit has worked very well before the gear reduction and like original starters became available.
Mules are my passion
www.m274armymules.com

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:15 pm

Totally agree with Charles.
Just to clarify a little, the M274A1 (1962-64) became the M274A4 when the 4-cylinder engine was replaced with the 2-cylinder. This was done by Kaiser Jeep Corp. in the 1966/67 time period. I suspect your mule was a standard updated A4 to which some civilian owner has added the wide tires and fenders at a later date since this does not appear to be the military conversion; missing the battery box, remote starter solenoid and voltage regulator, the Prestolite starter , the Chrysler alternator and double crank pulley, the steering column switch box and the military wiring harness.
You can check the front axle steering bellcrank and see if it has the adapter block shown below. It is part of the military wide tire conversion kit but is rarely found when the wide tires are installed by a civilian owner.

The steering changeover deck cover and the weapons mount cover appear to be home-made, along with the wrong shift lever guard. Also, spring is missing from parking brake lever.

No. 7
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by No. 7 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:51 pm

Thanks very much to you and Charles both. I love the knowledge and look forward to putting it back closer to factory condition.

Return to “Mule M274”