Been workin on my Mule...now some questions

M274 Mechanical Mule Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
muleman7
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Re: Been workin on my Mule...now some questions

Post by muleman7 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:43 am

You could use a military starter switch in the place of your keyed switch and mount the keyed switch next to the original on-off switch to cut power to the military starter switch. The following switch is waterproof and is off-12 volts on for accessories and momentary start springs back to on.

Contact me I have them in stock and can make-up Mil Spec wiring with the correct connections. Let me know if you need Prestolite or General Electric 14 gauge wire.

The switch uses waterproof Packard Connections.

Mules are my passion
www.m274armymules.com

abbylind
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by abbylind » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:03 pm

Plans are to add a spring loaded cover for the ignition switch. I have one on my motorcycle. They way they're stealing cars up here I'm going to stick with a keyed ignition.....thanks!
Remember the word "expert".....An "EX" is a has been.... and a "SPERT" is a little drip...

abbylind
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by abbylind » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:56 am

Charles reread your post...yes, your configuration would retain the keyed ignition (hidden under the deck) Good idea! I think Im going to use the existing ignition switch to power my head and tail lights ...

In the interim I looked at the brake drum and noticed oil leaking out....checking further I noticed the seal for the front yoke is leaking. I'm looking locally for a new seal and felt washer. Glad I took the time to check everything, the brake drum and shoes were covered in oil!
Remember the word "expert".....An "EX" is a has been.... and a "SPERT" is a little drip...

abbylind
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by abbylind » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:59 pm

Installed the new seal on the front pinion. I cleaned and reused the felt gasket and plastic spacer with the new seal. Cleaned and repainted the brake backing plate and reassembled the brake shoes and drum.
Parts arrived to replace the driveshaft bearing cover and new seals.
I'll replace those and reinstall the drive shaft, fill the tranny, and front axle with gear oil. Hopefully I'll be on the road shortly!

muleman7
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by muleman7 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:12 pm

Do not understand how your Bearing Cover cracked. There should be shims that set the bearing pre-load allowing the cover to pull tight compressing the shims. If installed without the shims this could cause the Bearing Cover to crack and will put excessive pre-load on the pinion shaft tapered bearings.
Mules are my passion
www.m274armymules.com

Auto Shop teacher
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Auto Shop teacher » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:25 am

If the cover cracked, it seems to me that the mating surface that it bolts up to isn't flat. I suggest you check it with a flat file to verify the gasket is making 100% contact, or it could happen again.

abbylind
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by abbylind » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:23 am

The bearing seat for the tranny cover was pushed out partially when I put the cover on. I suspect the bearing cover was cracked before I installed it. When I tightened the upper left nut it exposed the crack further due to the angle of the cover on the bearing seat. I should have tightened the nuts in sequence...however I may not have noticed the crack had I done that.

Auto Shop teacher
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Auto Shop teacher » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:20 am

It is always good practice to hand fit everything so you can discover any binding. If any is found, a little burr filing may be in order so you don't run into problems when you torque it down.

Charles taught me a good idea in that you run down that seal housing with your fingers and then put in the yolk into the seal so the housing can move slightly to assure it is centered in the seal, then, tighten down the 4 bolts. (This idea took care of a stubborn leak I was having). Thanks Charles!

abbylind
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by abbylind » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:22 pm

Cut out a new gasket for the bearing cover and installed it. The old cover broke into several pieces when I removed it! Installed the drive shaft and filled both the tranny and front axle with gear oil. Ran the tranny through the gears with the engine running while it was up on jacks. Everything sounded and felt good. I'll install the wheels and drop her down...ready for a road test! Man Ive got to get some new tires...I can see the air inside them!

abbylind
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by abbylind » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:42 am

Removed the gasket on the outer bearing retainer..Talked with Charles last PM and he informed me about the gasket or lack thereof of one.... Whoever worked on this mule before installed a gasket on the bearing retainer! So lesson learned!

Filled the tranny case (again) and took it for a spin Drives great! The driveline still seems tight i.e. its hard to roll the Mule around with the tranny in neutral...and yes Ive checked the brakes....!

Auto Shop teacher
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Auto Shop teacher » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:43 pm

With mules any time you want to stop, just turn the wheels, you hardly need brakes in a turn. Nature of the beast.

abbylind
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by abbylind » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:42 pm

Added GI issue mule tailights...

Image20171106_162751 by F J, on Flickr

abbylind
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by abbylind » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:47 pm

Added headlight, waiting on LED bulb. I used the old magneto kill switch as my new switch for the headlight and tail lights
Image20171107_140231 by F J, on Flickr

abbylind
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by abbylind » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:09 pm

Pic of headlamp mount
Image20171107_140213 by F J, on Flickr

abbylind
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by abbylind » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:34 am

Girls used the mule to take the Christmas decorations from the barn...

Image20171119_144903 by F J, on Flickr

Found Ive got a leak around my new fuel pump...looks like its on the back side near the block. Maybe need to tighten up the top cover screws

Return to “Mule M274”