Painting Mag Wheels

M274 Mechanical Mule Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
B8B
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Painting Mag Wheels

Post by B8B » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:20 am

Folks,

After replacing a drop axle Idler Gear due to a broken tooth, I decided to repaint the wheel I had removed. As you may remember, I've got a 'FrankenMule' with parts off different models, which had some extreme 'Bubba mods' to turn it into a log hauler, and I'm slowly returning it into military shape. A previous owner had painted it in John Deere colors, to include the yellow wheels. :shock:

I'd like to do a quickie paint job on the wheel to get it running in the next week -- I'll do a more thorough paint job later to the whole Mule. Now that I've stripped the paint mostly down to bare metal, what type primer can I use? I don't want to get fancy, but I don't want to harm the wheel either. My brother had restored an early CJ-5, and recommended Self Etching Primer, so I've got a can of that from Rustoleum. Is that OK? I've heard yay and nea on various forums on the web.

If self etching primer is OK (doesn't have to be the best), I'll go with it today. If it's not, what is acceptable and available from a Pep Boys/Home Depot type store?

Any other wheel prep/painting advice is appreciated. Thanks in Advance!

P.S. I found the numbers "968429" (I think) on the wheel hub -- is that a part number or a serial number? I'm trying to identify the model/year of the mule.
Attachments
FrankenMule Mag Wheel sm.jpg
FrankenMule Mag Wheel
FrankenMule Mag Wheel sm.jpg (151.77 KiB) Viewed 768 times
'58 M274A3 Mule, SN 10965
'62 M422A1 Mighty-Mite, SN 3741
'65 M416-B1 Mighty-Mite Trailer, SN 11
'97 LTT-HC 'Mule Hauler' Trailer, SN "H.A.C.-054"

Dbaumanjr
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant
Re: Painting Mag Wheels

Post by Dbaumanjr » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:37 am

We have used Rustoleum spray bomb self etching primer with good results. Definetely not the toughest, or best paint,(I'm used to spraying epoxy primer & enamel/eurethane paint) but its quick & easy to apply.
Darryl
Real Jeeps are Olive Drab
'67 M715 w/winch
'66 M718 Frontline Ambulance
'64 M274a1 Finished!
'58 M274 Finished!

muleman7
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Re: Painting Mag Wheels

Post by muleman7 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:15 pm

That number should be the Ordinance # assigned by drawings and manufacture.

Data Plate on the drivers side is your only source for the registration, serial number and date of delivery.

Other ways to identify the mule model will be by transmission, bed, shifting assy, trunnion blocks for the steering gear, steering column clamp, brakes, drop gear housings, steering bell cranks, tie rod ends, frame tubes, deck covers, foot basket and engine guard.

If you could post pics of those items the G503 community can help identify the original model.

This is going to be interesting because nearly all parts are interchangeable. The drive shafts will not interchange between the early brake band and later brake shoe assys. But those assys are interchangeable with the center section and require different brake cables and actuators.

We are looking forward in seeing how freaky your FrankenMule is.
Mules are my passion
www.m274armymules.com

Return to “Mule M274”