Si prega si può aiutare !!! Jeeps in Italian Colours

Italian Historic Military Vehicles Club
A place where members of HMV, IMVCC, CVMS and all the other italian clubs of military vehicles can find a space for discussion

Moderator: pierino

august43gpw
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class
Si prega si può aiutare !!! Jeeps in Italian Colours

Post by august43gpw » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:29 am

Buona serata! Ti prego di perdonarmi scrivere in inglese!

I recently purchased a 1943 GPW, from Bologna and brought it back to England. However I would like to keep a link to the Italian heritage of the jeep, after all, she has been in Italy for 70 years! Much of that belonging to a Priest up in the Appennini Mountains who used the jeep to visit his flock.

I would like to add some interesting details to make it look like an Italian wartime jeep, either captured or as allies. Does anybody have any pictures or interesting information about Jeeps with Italian markings from before 1945.

Grazie molto!

pierino
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Si prega si può aiutare !!! Jeeps in Italian Colours

Post by pierino » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:13 am

Hi Jem,

I will reply here to your message (even to the PM...) ...

very few images exist about jeeps belonging to cobelligerent italian army...

one jeeps was recently restored in colours of the Gruppo di Combattimento FRIULI by a friend of mine, Mario.

go to viewtopic.php?p=865987 and have a look... you can also get in touch with the owner of such a jeep!

thank you for your plans of honouring my country with your incoming restoration, and let us know about your progress!

ciao
maurizio
1938 Ford Eifel
1941 Dodge WC21
1941 Ford GP
1942 Ford GTB, matching #'s
1943 Huffman model 81
1943 R.I.A. Hand Cart M3A4
1943 Willys MB
1943 Highway Trailer K-38
1944 Ford GPW, matching #'s
1944 Cushman 39G
1944 Harley WLA
1944 Converto Dump 1/2 Ton
1944 VW TYP166 Schwimmwagen
1944 Chevrolet G-7163 K-44
1960 Willys MB-T
1943 Stinson L-5 SOLD w/sadness

august43gpw
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by august43gpw » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:45 am

That looks wonderful! Thanks so much for your reply.

That is the first picture I have seen with Italian markings.

I'm sure you know, in England, most jeeps are either 101st US airborne or UK airborne from Pegasus Bridge. So, when we drove back from Bologna, and talked to my local Military club, we all though it would be a nice touch, and unusual here, to keep her Italian.

Does Mario speak any English. I am sorry to ask but I speak no Italian (sorry!!) I would love to speak with him and get some advice, maybe join his regiment!!!

I would also love to attend his next feast, it looks wonderful.

My wife, daughter and I are in Rome next weekend so I will try and find some interesting books, or posters whilst there.

Thanks again!!

pierino
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by pierino » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:42 pm

you can try to email Mario... you know, we Always have Google translate available if that might help! ... 8)

enjoy your Rome vacation... too many things to do and to see...

you can look (preferably online) for this book: http://www.rodorigoeditore.it/prodotto/ ... rile-1945/
maybe you will find some interesting details (sorry, italian only) here also https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gruppi_di_Combattimento

Mario's jeep will be for sure attending the next "Colonna della Libertà" (feel free to browse here http://www.goticatoscana.eu/EN/Events/events.html )

ciao
maurizio
1938 Ford Eifel
1941 Dodge WC21
1941 Ford GP
1943 Huffman model 81
1943 Willys MB
1944 Cushman 39G
1944 Harley WLA
1944 Converto Dump 1/2 Ton
1944 VW TYP166 Schwimmwagen
1944 Chevrolet G-7163 K-44
1960 Willys MB-T
1943 Stinson L-5 SOLD w/sadness

august43gpw
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by august43gpw » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:48 pm

Thanks Maurizio, I sent an email to Mario last night, so I will work on my Italian before he replies!

Thanks for those links. I will try to find that book, I don't think the site you sent me to posts to the UK so I will go on a hunt.

I actually went onto that wiki page last night and read all through. I think the most relevant for me is the 'Gruppo Legnano', because of its links around Bologna and the Appennini Mountains, as both seems to have been relevant for this jeep.

Also, my football team in the UK, Birmingham City, played a game against Ancona, about 20 or so years ago. It was not a friendly game and a fight broke out in the players tunnel which has always been know as the 'Battle of Ancona" and it seems the Gruppo Legnano were involved around the original and real Battle for Ancona, so that seems to fit well!!

I think I will also try to attend one of the "Colonna della Libertà" events. Any excuse to visit Italy!!

Maybe we can arrange some 'swapped' visits with our local club here in the UK. It is interesting that the site you sent me to described Italy as 'the Forgotten Front' with Normandy taking place at the time, and we definitely focus most of our thoughts on the French campaign, so that may be very interesting and new for our members to look into Italy more, especially as we now have an Italian Jeep in our number!!!

I'm sure you know, that English soldiers who fought in Italy were sarcastically called "D-Day Dodgers", here is a link to that story https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-Day_Dodgers

Thanks again and hope to speak soon!!

Jem

gdamiano
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by gdamiano » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:27 am

Hi Jem - when you said "a priest up in the Appennini ......." it rang a bell to me , I believe I had already read something somewhere about a GPW kept for years in a cloister in the Italian appennines close to Bologna....... how comes that you have been so lucky ???

What S/N is your GPW? My 140720 dates to Sept. 04-09 th 1943, and I am always looking forward to the possibility of seeing any - as unmolested as possible - GPW close to my S/N, to confirm the correctness of my evergoing restoration efforts.

Though being a 100% Italian, I have no problem about speaking the King's (or is it the Queen's ?); if you want to reply to me here or also in PM you will be very welcome.

Keep 'em going !!

Ciao, Gianni
1943 - Ford GPW # 140720

august43gpw
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by august43gpw » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:00 am

Hi Gianni,
Thanks of your message. Great to hear from you.

My number is 134933. After doing some research I think she was built in Louisville Kentucky towards the end of July '43.

Have you found out in which plant yours was made? If not I have found a great contact in the USA who is doing some research. I could put you in touch.

I am just in the process of deciding what to do with mine. I have Italian data plates, which nobody in our military vehicle club had seen before, and also a great Italian speedometer.

As they are part of the jeeps history, I would like to keep them, so thought I would like to maybe paint the jeep up in 'Co-belligerent' colours, although that is not easy to find any pictures. There is a link in this thread to an Italian jeep, so I might paint it in US colours, but add an Italian fly and unit to her.

I would be interested to see any pictures you have, and I will do the same if you are interested.

Please also accept my apologies for my lack of Italian!!

Thanks again

Jem

pierino
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by pierino » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:20 am

august43gpw wrote:... I have Italian data plates, which nobody in our military vehicle club had seen before, and also a great Italian speedometer.

As they are part of the jeeps history, I would like to keep them, ...Jem

Jem, they are part of the "post-WWII" jeep's history. your jeep spent some time with the Italian Army...

speedo and data plates must be changed if you're restoring a WWII jeep...

go to viewtopic.php?f=74&t=218426&hilit=oare&start=45 for more info ... 8)

ciao
maurizio
1938 Ford Eifel
1941 Dodge WC21
1941 Ford GP
1943 Huffman model 81
1943 Willys MB
1944 Cushman 39G