Replacement MB serial numbers

Nov. 18, 1941 - MB100001 thru Mar. 6, 1942 - MB125809 NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
pbr332
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Replacement MB serial numbers

Post by pbr332 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:16 pm

I mentioned in a previous post that my early MB has no data plate or frame tag. Considering all the available information (axle dates, gusset number, early body, frame, gauges, and rear brake line, etc.) the most likely serial number would be approximately MB 105785, give or take a few dozen numbers, with a delivery date of 12-22-41 or 12-23-41. But I'm unwilling to assign such a number to this MB, for several reasons: first, an MB with that number on a data plate or frame tag could turn up next week in a barn somewhere.

Second, assigning an existing unaltered serial number to any vehicle borders on falsification of registration, intentional or not, and I just don't want to be accused of anything like that.

Third, any number I put on this jeep would be a replacement number and those should be unmistakably recognizable as such. So, I'm going to go with the military practice of assigning replacement numbers and just put an X after it (MB 105785X). All the GPW replacement engines were so marked, and all small arms that had damaged serial numbers were also similarly marked.

I'd like to hear any opinions relevant to the subject, and this is definitely the place to get them.
Frank Asturias, SFC U.S. Army (ret) MOS 88L40, MVPA 5519
2 '41 MBs, one wrecked
2 '42 MBs
1 "42 GPW
1 '43 MB
3 '43 GPWs

macaddict23
G-Major General
G-Major General
Re: Replacement MB serial numbers

Post by macaddict23 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:29 pm

Since no number is present in your vehicle, can't you simply take it to California DMV or CHP, and they'll assign you a tag?

Click on the link below, and scroll down:
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detai ... lsplacards
"Originality . . . It just needs to be what it is."

pbr332
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by pbr332 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:26 am

Yes, I could, but they're going to assign a number that's completely unrelated to early MB serial numbers. I came up with this number based on what a motor pool would assign to it, following army procedures.
2 '41 MBs, one wrecked
2 '42 MBs
1 "42 GPW
1 '43 MB
3 '43 GPWs

DavidA
Equipment Operator, Heavy -2nd Class
Equipment Operator, Heavy -2nd Class

Post by DavidA » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:56 am

If DMV assigned you a number, couldn't you change your frame,engine, body, hood number at any time to anything ?

Your registration / VIN would be the number on the DMV tag that was affixed to the vehicle by them and nothing else. So now if your estimated Hood, frame, engine or body number popped somewhere else in the improbable future, it would just mean that you change it. Or am I wrong?
David Aro - USN SEABEES '66-'70
1941 WILLYS MB-104354
1942 WILLYS MB-131350

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:31 am

Frank...it's a longshot, but the serial number list indicates Ron Fitzpatrick has a loose MB data plate that might work.
MB 106636
12/24/41

Sounds to me like the jeep it came from is no longer so I would purchase that plate, get a frame tag stamped with that number, mount them and THEN go to DMV. AFAIK, DMV in CA does not check the records for all other states so you can apply for a title using that as the VIN number. If you have the frame tag and data plate mounted on the jeep and trailer it to DMV that should do it.

By the way, a LEO can do a VIN number check for you to see if that number (106636) is currently in use in CA. You might find it is used by a PGE telephone trailer as I found out on checking one time so be sure to do the VIN search using "MB-106636" and I think you will be OK.

Ask Ron if he knows the history of that data plate and if possibly the frame/tub and more importantly the frame tag were scrapped...if so then you should have no problem with that data plate. Do try to have a friendly LEO do the check for you in advance of purchasing the data plate if Ron wil sell it to you and will hold it long enough to run the check on it in CA.

Good Luck!
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

pbr332
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by pbr332 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:39 pm

Thanks for the information and suggestion, Chuck. I'll contact Ron Fitzpatrick and ask about his data plate. But I'm not worried about another jeep with a duplicate number, that's what the X is for. But if Ron's loose data plate is indeed from a scrapped jeep, it's definitely worth looking into. we'll see.
2 '41 MBs, one wrecked
2 '42 MBs
1 "42 GPW
1 '43 MB
3 '43 GPWs

Adam
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Adam » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:27 pm

I have seen people selling original data plates on here, right after they put repos with the same numbers on their equipment. Anyway why not just buy another jeep with a title and frame tag and use that for a base for a rebuild? No headaches and no issues. Now that everybody in the world knows what you dont have and might do, remember that when you go to sell it. Hopefully CA DMV wont be reading this either.

ADam

Bart1015
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Bart1015 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:17 am

PBR332,

There are several people who can "sign off" on a vin. The vehicle has to be assembled and inspected by authorized personal. The below form is what you will bring with your when you get the vin signed off.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/conne ... 970b8ea1a4

In your area, you can have it signed off by DMV, CHP or an authorized "Licensed Vehicle Inspector" (LVI). An LVI is a civilian who is licensed to do the inspections. A lot of small auto dealers can do this for you and by far it is the smoothest way to get it done.

From experience, CHP is the only Law Enforcement agency in your area that can do the vin sign off. You will need to make an appointment with them to get it done.

Brett
1942 VEP GPW, J-2 winch, BC-659, 1919a4
1945 GPW, 1943 MBT
Sold - 1967 M151a1, 1943 MB, M416
www.ToThePointPolygraph.com

pbr332
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by pbr332 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:04 pm

I'm familiar with the DMV procedure for verifying a VIN number, I went through it recently with my '43 GPW, which was agricultural equipment, no plates, which I bought back in '85. Getting registration and plates was not a problem.

I have no intention of buying another jeep just for a data plate. December '41 MBs don't grow on trees, and they're getting more scarce all the time, in any condition. And I'm not concerned about DMV employees reading this. There's nothing illegal or unethical about figuring out a VIN number for a ranch jeep that has never had license plates, and has a missing or damaged serial number. This kind of thing happens all the time. Any duplicate number I come up with is not going to match any other MB numbers, for reasons I've gone over.

I know a number of guys (including myself) who got plates and registration for an agricultural vehicle with no paperwork other than a bill of sale. And it's never been a problem, not in California, anyway. One friend told me how he tried to register his ranch equipment M38 in Nevada and they insisted he had to produce the original bill of sale from the army. No such document existed, and he pointed that out, but they didn't want to hear it. He had to get an Alabama title to get plates and registration.
2 '41 MBs, one wrecked
2 '42 MBs
1 "42 GPW
1 '43 MB
3 '43 GPWs

Return to “Slat Grill, early Willys MB”