Stmbled upon a slat grill. Whats it worth?

Nov. 18, 1941 - MB100001 thru Mar. 6, 1942 - MB125809 NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
David
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: Stmbled upon a slat grill. Whats it worth?

Post by David » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:26 am

Weirdly enough even some Ford hoods have the dimples, even though they never had air deflectors.

Slatgrills did not have the left fender BODL & bracket mounted from the factory, but a general modification order (including list of serial numbers) was issued along with a special kit to have those retro-fitted to a lot of vehicles, including jeeps. The bracket in this kit was not the same as the standard 'horseshoe' bracket though; the base was wider (known as the 'tombstone' for that reason) so if your jeep was also retro-fitted with one of those kits the holes will be spaced a bit too wide to fit a standard bracket. The good news is it's another indicator for an early fender, the bad news is those tombstone brackets are difficult to find... like most slat parts.

The 2-piece toolbox hinges are original for a slat, as are the brass knobs and those pedals. The gear knobs should be black plastic I think.
Mark Jesic wrote:Daddyo, i have just noticed a Slat Grille come up for sale on an English website, its immaculate, and they are asking £34500, thats about $40000. As i said with what you have, good investment ? Bear in mind, the European prices are higher than in the U.S.A.
I think it's the same one that is on eBay now for that same price and that seems to be a very nice and complete example. Ours is 2 days older and not near as nice.

Mark Jesic
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Re: Stmbled upon a slat grill. Whats it worth?

Post by Mark Jesic » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:48 am

They all still fetch serious money though Dave, i havent seen yours but in England i bet you would get at least £25000, if its roadworthy and running. :D

Return to “Slat Grill, early Willys MB”