Help With Brakes

1985 - Present, Questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the Humvee. (NO AUCTION or EBAY)

Moderator: Kurt Lesser

86humv
G-Major General
G-Major General

Re: Help With Brakes

Post by 86humv » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:40 pm

Action wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:23 pm
your 12" pads are on epay, 4 NOS for $45 or best offer. They have about 100 kits.

You can also put calipers on the rear that are the same as the fronts. They are about $21 each reman.

Jason
His pads are 12k vented type...none on ebay.
Ebay pads are 12k solid rotor type...different thickness.
86 Hmmwv
Lots A parts
M101A2 trailer
M1102 trailer

Action
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Action » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:15 am

86humv wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:40 pm
Action wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:23 pm
your 12" pads are on epay, 4 NOS for $45 or best offer. They have about 100 kits.

You can also put calipers on the rear that are the same as the fronts. They are about $21 each reman.

Jason
His pads are 12k vented type...none on ebay.
Ebay pads are 12k solid rotor type...different thickness.
ok. There is no vehicle designation in the book. It just shows part of kit 57k3565 serial 299,999 and below.
I thought he could sand them down some to save a couple bucks.

Jason

johncarrol
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by johncarrol » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:45 am

Thanks guys, I thought everyone would have written me off by now. I noticed one of you including calipers in the list. I can use my original calipers, Right? Isn't it crazy why pads for a vented 12 inch rotor are so much more than for a 12 inch solid one. Does anyone know why? Please tell me where I can get those 10 inch adapters for $25 each. About the output flanges, My first post on this discussion stated that I checked the Flange nuts, (Whatever was holding the flanges on the shafts protruding out of the rears), in addition to the bolts holding the rotors to the flanges, which all were tight. My flanges should fit the 10 inch H1 Chinese rotors, correct?

86humv
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by 86humv » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:27 pm

johncarrol wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:45 am
Thanks guys, I thought everyone would have written me off by now. I noticed one of you including calipers in the list. I can use my original calipers, Right? Isn't it crazy why pads for a vented 12 inch rotor are so much more than for a 12 inch solid one. Does anyone know why? Please tell me where I can get those 10 inch adapters for $25 each. About the output flanges, My first post on this discussion stated that I checked the Flange nuts, (Whatever was holding the flanges on the shafts protruding out of the rears), in addition to the bolts holding the rotors to the flanges, which all were tight. My flanges should fit the 10 inch H1 Chinese rotors, correct?
I have the parts listed on pg. 2
86 Hmmwv
Lots A parts
M101A2 trailer
M1102 trailer

johncarrol
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by johncarrol » Thu May 10, 2018 2:38 am

Here's my update. I've put over a month and over 1,000 miles on my $106.00 complete 10K brake kit plus approx. $100.00 adapters. The only thing I had to do was grind approx. 3/16 clearance in each adapter to clear my 12K half shafts. By the way, I don't know where the rotors were made (I don't care), but the ceramic pads came from Italy. I've PROVEN to myself and to very few others who will allow their selves to agree, that it was the best decision I ever made with help from this forum for my HMMWV. I have plenty of stopping power on dry roads and the tires don't lock up instantly on wet roads like with the 12K brakes. When applied either light or heavy, they are as smooth as silk, unlike before. The ONLY con is: I hear a slight squeal maybe 30 percent of the time, but never as bad as before and probably can be eliminated with anti squeal backing material installed if I choose to bother. I've noticed no pad wear yet, and I purchased semi metallic replacement pads to try all around for $25, yes 8 pads $25.

wooody1
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by wooody1 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:45 am

What shape is your master cylinder,

Square corners at one end and the other round end

or rectangular with 4 square corners?

Majority of rotors need to be straightened true prior to use, slots or holes in the rotors do nothing to make braking better, you will note that most high end cars have these, and they then have to compensate with bigger pads to increase the pad surface contact area due to the area lost by holes or slots.

Did you have any pulsing on your brake pedal/foot when the brakes were applied?

There are many here with far more knowledge than me, but there are multiple types of pads with different composite materials in them for your truck, some pads you cannot use with vented rotors, only to be used on solid rotors, some retail at just under $500 per axle some at $60.00 per axle being the Hawk pads, therefore you need to first look at what you have to determine what you need to use. Going back to stock is always your best option

johncarrol
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by johncarrol » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:32 am

A friend of mine had the same problem with his M1097A2 that I had with my M1123, only worse. I tried to find him the exact setup I used, but found out that it was no longer available. What I did find and installed on his HMMWV was standard 10K rotors and semi metallic pads all the way around for under $100. I noticed on mine that after 20,000 miles, my pads are about 50% wore and also it looks like the rotors are showing some wear. I now believe that even though my brakes never had the vibration problem since I went from 12K to 10K, and I saved a pile of money, I would not use the cross drilled rotors and ceramic pads again. The holes probably don't do much about keeping the rotors from warping, and the ceramic pads, while wearing slower, wear out the rotors faster and are a little noisy. If I do mine again, I'll do what I did to my friends M1097A2 and save even more money.

Return to “Humvee Technical Knowledge Base -”