M998 Unknown Brush Guard

1985 - Present, Questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the Humvee. (NO AUCTION or EBAY)

Moderator: Kurt Lesser

Colditz
G-Private
G-Private
M998 Unknown Brush Guard

Post by Colditz » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:17 am

Hi there,

as I'm new to this G503 forum, I'd like to short introduce myself. My name is Ray, 32 years old, long time HMMWV fan from Germany and I own now two 1985 M998 HMMWV thanks to GovPlanet.

I'm researching a little bit of HMMWV history and saw this special Brush Guard in some older videos and photos from the 80s and early 90s.
Does anyone know some more details about these Brush Guard builds? Have they a manufacturer with NSN or where they custom builds?

The Brush Guard has been seen in Operations JUST CAUSE and DESERT SHIELD/DESERT STORM.
Maybe some of the veterans know more about it.

As you can see, they fit vehicles with winch and without. Like the original angled one below.

HMMWV = High Mobility Money Wasting Vehicle

Mark Rozak
G-Captain
G-Captain

Re: M998 Unknown Brush Guard

Post by Mark Rozak » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:57 pm

Looks like a field modification like the non-winch bumper.
Luverne made a couple brushguards. One had screen mesh, another had vertical ribs.
AM General made some optional for the H1 that used different mounting brackets.
The A2 used a tubular brushguard with two different mounting methods.

Colditz
G-Private
G-Private

Post by Colditz » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:15 am

For a field modification, this bumper was seen to often. I have seen it on different vehicles from different units in different times. It cant be made just by a single unit. And yeah I know the other ones. I like the Luverne, all of them. The A2 though, fits only with the newer bumper.

The H1 Brushguard was only for civil and non-US military HMMWV, like for Export HMMWV to Saudi Arabia, as seen here:

HMMWV = High Mobility Money Wasting Vehicle

Ted Gates
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by Ted Gates » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:41 am

The ones in the picture above (slantbacks) are Civi H1 brush guards. The big tube ones are not standard production, so I'd say one-offs. Never seen one before.

Stevepsc
G-Private
G-Private

Post by Stevepsc » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:59 pm

I have one of those. It came on my 86 m1038 from Ft. Bragg. It was an 82nd AB truck. My truck has the mile marker winch. I am taking the brush guard off and replacing with ECV nose and ibis bumper.

Return to “Humvee Technical Knowledge Base -”