Theft protection question

1985 - Present, Questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the Humvee. (NO AUCTION or EBAY)

Moderator: Kurt Lesser

RockHillWill
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Theft protection question

Post by RockHillWill » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:05 am

I have replaced the right front tire so that I now have a full set of new 12 bolt tires and wheels, and am driving it more and liking it more as well. The new tire and wheel combo seems to have smoothed out the ride to some degree as well. My concern is now that I am driving it more, I do not want to leave the truck un-attended and or out of sight because it so easy to start. I am considering installing a battery cut-out switch (hide or lock ??) (where??) and or one of the aftermarket ignition switches that have a key, that I see on Ebay for $70-$90. Opinions ???

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Re: Theft protection question

Post by W. Winget » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:55 am

Can't speak for the guys that own them, just experience. Put it on the kick panel by the battery box in the passenger floor area.
Run the NEGATIVE cable through the cutoff, (which apparently somehow gets less amperage through it, or VOODO or some such to keep the switch from frying)
If you use a removable key, I doubt anyone would see it, but if it's a big key or rotating switch, make sure it's installed so a passenger boot or shoe kicks it to the ON position if accidentally brushed, not "off" or you may be scratching your head on occasion to figure out why the electrical isn't working.

I ran a flip type rotary cutoff on my Command Car over by the passenger side (it's near the batteries) Nothing goes anywhere without it being hit first unless it's a tow truck.

You do have an on-board padlock cable under the steering column if you have a military HUMVEE....you pull it out, wrap it around the steering wheel and put a series 200 U.S. lock on it for authenticity.
V/R W Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

dilvoy
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Theft protection question

Post by dilvoy » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:29 am

You can get the keyed ignition switches from Amazon for about $12 delivered and you can make your own wiring jumpers and save yourself quite a bit of money. Different styles to choose from. You need to enlarge the hole for the keyed switch to pass through the dash board.
George D. Paxinos

M998
M1123A2

Return to “Humvee Technical Knowledge Base -”