Dual Voltage alternator

1985 - Present, Questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the Humvee. (NO AUCTION or EBAY)

Moderator: Kurt Lesser

RockHillWill
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Dual Voltage alternator

Post by RockHillWill » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:26 am

More investigative work on the new Humvee revealed a dual voltage alternator. I have seen reference to them while referring to other items in the TM's, but I am not knowledgeable about anything electronic. I am willing to do research, but am not having any luck in uncovering an 'overview' of this alternator or a wiring schematic, and my most prominent question is if I am able to use 12v items with this alternator at the same time as the normal 24v system, and where do I pick up the 12v connection(s).
Attachments
ALTERNATOR&EBAY 023.jpg
ALTERNATOR&EBAY 023.jpg (128.64 KiB) Viewed 1572 times

ryanruck
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Re: Dual Voltage alternator

Post by ryanruck » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:49 pm

To answer your question, yes. It will allow 12v usage without creating a battery imbalance within reason. The 12v side only 50A.

As for wiring, it is literally no harder than running an 8AWG or larger wire to the positive terminal on your rear battery from the stud on the front of the regulator that is labeled "14v".

Niehoff has documentation on it including a troubleshooting guide.

RockHillWill

Post by RockHillWill » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:29 pm

That was good input, thanks. I am unable to get those links to respond on my computer. have you used those recently? Thanks again for your help.

ryanruck
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by ryanruck » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:35 pm

RockHillWill wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:29 pm
That was good input, thanks. I am unable to get those links to respond on my computer. have you used those recently? Thanks again for your help.
The links should be good but it looks like their whole website is down right now.

Augi
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Augi » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:25 pm

Here is some more information:

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=221530

Augi

RockHillWill

Post by RockHillWill » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:21 am

Thanks Augi. That was even better info. Am I correct in assuming that if my M998 came with this dual voltage 200A alternator that all I have to do now is run the #8 ga. wire from the alternator to that (+) terminal on the rear battery?

If I want to install (+) and ( - ) 'busbars' at the radio shelf, can I just run a wire from that same (+) terminal to the (+) 'busbar' and the other to a common ground?

Thanks!

86humv
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by 86humv » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:02 pm

RockHillWill wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:21 am
Thanks Augi. That was even better info. Am I correct in assuming that if my M998 came with this dual voltage 200A alternator that all I have to do now is run the #8 ga. wire from the alternator to that (+) terminal on the rear battery?

If I want to install (+) and ( - ) 'busbars' at the radio shelf, can I just run a wire from that same (+) terminal to the (+) 'busbar' and the other to a common ground?

Thanks!
I would install a circuit breaker in battery box area for live wires coming from battery.
If you decide to...I have some military 60 amps available.
86 Hmmwv
Lots A parts
M101A2 trailer
M1102 trailer

Return to “Humvee Technical Knowledge Base -”