Dual voltage tail light bulbs

1985 - Present, Questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the Humvee. (NO AUCTION or EBAY)

Moderator: Kurt Lesser

RockHillWill
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Dual voltage tail light bulbs

Post by RockHillWill » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:16 am

I have purchased an M998 from GovPlanet, but have not received it yet, and have just acquired an M1102 trailer which I would like to pull behind my motorhome as well. it has been mentioned to me that there are dual voltage tail light/bulbs. My question is this: can I install different bulbs in the trailer tail lights and running lights and be able to pull behind either of these vehicles?

86humv
G-Major General
G-Major General

Re: Dual voltage tail light bulbs

Post by 86humv » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:36 am

Put Grote or Trucklite led's in.
They make side markers also multi volt.
86 Hmmwv
Lots A parts
M101A2 trailer
M1102 trailer

JuanPrado
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by JuanPrado » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:35 pm

another work around is to change the bulbs to multi volt led.

The taillights should be easy. The clearance lights could be tricky. If they are the older style with a removable lens, then the bulb can be upgraded. If it is the one piece lens with bulb , Then upgrade as Greg suggested to multi volt led fixture.

Many Led suppliers out there in China land on Epay real reasonably priced.

There are some adapters out there to go from Military plug to standard 7 pole connector if that is what you use? I think Erick's sells them?

RockHillWill

Post by RockHillWill » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:23 pm

Thanks for your reply JuanPrado, that would be my preference. I bought one of those adaptors from bravo1sales on Ebay, and that was their suggestion. What I was hoping to discover was the part number for such a multi voltage LED bulb that was also suggested by the guy at bravo1sales. I have not taken the lenses of either of the lights at this time because the trailer is in storage for another month or so, until I get the truck, and I just want to keep working on as many details as possible before the truck is picked up. I do not know what style bulb is in either the tail light or the marker lights on the trailer making me unsure as to which bulbs to look for. Thanks!

RockHillWill

Post by RockHillWill » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:51 pm

I ordered two of these 27SMD's for the #1683 tail light bulbs. Thoughts??:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/search/ ... ,1157,1,41:

Do not know what to choose for the #623 bulbs. It looks like there might be room to use the 18SMD's, but would it be too bright for a running light at the rear of the trailer? Thoughts?

JuanPrado
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by JuanPrado » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:10 pm

The tail light looks ok.

The smaller Clearance light is more along the lines of a ba15s like the #67 bulb but i don't see one listed for 12-24v?

I was not sure which was the 18smd you were looking at?

Also no need to mess with the blackout or blackout stop light as I doubt you would be using those.

RockHillWill

Post by RockHillWill » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:29 pm

The 18 SMD part number is right below the 27SMD bulbs. Both numbers are rated at 10-30v. The 27SMD is rated at 330 lumens. The 18SMD is rated at 270 lumens. I just now looked at that site again and found a 'dual function 1 high power' bulb that is rated at 105 lumens that is rated at 12v and 24v. It is noted as 'oversize' but I might try two just to see if they fit. The #1683 bulb is rated at approx. 28 watts, and the #623 bulb is rated at 10.4 watts for a ratio of about 37 percent. The LED bulbs are 270 lumens and 105 lumens for a ratio of about 39 percent, so the change in brightness would appear to be about the same from the running lights to the brake lights.

JuanPrado
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by JuanPrado » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:00 pm

Just my opinion but if the bulb fits; go with it.

These bulbs will draw less than the incandescent being LED and I would prefer a brighter bulb that makes you more visible. Anything that makes you stand out is a good thing. :)

Return to “Humvee Technical Knowledge Base -”