Test proceedure for electric winch

1985 - Present, Questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the Humvee. (NO AUCTION or EBAY)

Moderator: Kurt Lesser

RockHillWill
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Test proceedure for electric winch

Post by RockHillWill » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:06 am

Had a friend stop by yesterday and gave me an original electric winch taken off a Humvee because 'it wouldn't work'. I do not know how to tell if it is a 9,000 or a 12,000. Have been looking at the TM's that I have accumulated, but am not able to find anything that lays out the wiring. The TM's that I have seen, and the suppliers that I have found only show a solenoid 'pack'. I am also interested in trying to find part number and a source for individual solenoids. Any help or suggestions? I'm apparently still months away from taking delivery of my M998, but I will be done with my current project shortly and want to start into this one.

DockRocker
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant
Re: Test proceedure for electric winch

Post by DockRocker » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:08 am

I can't speak for the TM but I have rebuilt a bunch of warn winches. If you have the most basic mechanical skills you can trouble shoot it. 99% of the issues are not with the actual winch body or motor it's solenoid pack. Luckily that's the easy part to test.

Pull the plastic cover off the control pack and take the wiring off of one solenoid at a time. You want to isolate it from the rest of the bank.

This is a descent video on testing each one.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MbW5-Yvz_qk

If you have a bad solenoid call the warn tech line and get the part number for it. Then hit the interwebs. You should be able to find them much cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RockHillWill

Re: Test proceedure for electric winch

Post by RockHillWill » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:59 pm

Doing some more research, I found this. It might help others as well.

http://www.hummernetworkforums.com/file ... 0l_715.pdf

Return to “Humvee Technical Knowledge Base -”