Cherry rivets

1985 - Present, Questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the Humvee. (NO AUCTION or EBAY)

Moderator: Kurt Lesser

ohiohmmwv
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Cherry rivets

Post by ohiohmmwv » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:24 am

I bought some cr3213-6-03 rivets to plug a bunch of the holes in the floor pan from where the old rear seat bases were. The heads are the universal rounded type heads but still appear to have a bit of a flat top on them compared to the ones from factory. The hmmwv does use cherry rivets right?

86humv
G-Major General
G-Major General

Re: Cherry rivets

Post by 86humv » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:10 am

ohiohmmwv wrote:I bought some cr3213-6-03 rivets to plug a bunch of the holes in the floor pan from where the old rear seat bases were. The heads are the universal rounded type heads but still appear to have a bit of a flat top on them compared to the ones from factory. The hmmwv does use cherry rivets right?
Those type are fine....but, a -03 is for metal .126 to .187 thick.
If plugging holes in single layer metal, they may be slightly loose.
You would need -02 for metal .063 to .125 thick.
86 Hmmwv
Lots A parts
M101A2 trailer
M1102 trailer

Kurt Lesser
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Kurt Lesser » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:31 am

One of the differences with the CherryMax rivets as opposed to a standard Pop rivet is they are designed for a fairly narrow "grip length". That's the thickness of the material they're designed to hold together. That's why there are so many different part numbers for them. A Pop rivet is designed to pull until it tightens up and the mandrel snaps off giving it a pretty wide "grip length". This isn't the case with the CherryMax rivets. While they do tighten up until the mandrel snaps in order to maintain the consistent structural strength required for aircraft use they need to be more exact in their manufacturer. That's also why they cost what they do.
Kurt Lesser
US Navy, 1969-1975
M996A1 Ambulance w/M101A3 Trailer
M274A2 Mule
M151A1 Mutt w/M416B1 Trailer
M890 Crew cab

ohiohmmwv
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by ohiohmmwv » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:15 am

Here's the difference. The one on the right is the universal cherry head that I bought. It's still somewhat flat. The left is an original rivet in the truck. Wondering where I can get the complete rounded head cherry rivet.
image1.JPG
image1.JPG (97.71 KiB) Viewed 912 times

Action
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Action » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:34 pm

The rivets I used on my last body were solid and came from an aircraft supply catalog. We used an impact attachment to compress the bottom end.

Jason

Kurt Lesser
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Kurt Lesser » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:30 am

Original Cherry Max rivets are expensive when purchased from aircraft supply houses and a large part of that is due to the product tracking that has to go along with any aircraft repair. The USAF disposes of thousands of them every year because they are beyond the expired date codes. I thought this was totally stupid until someone explained to me that they are date coded not because of the rivet itself but the lubricant in them dries out. This causes uneven setting of the rivets and the strength of the joint can vary. In areas of the country (like Texas and Washington) where there are several aircraft manufacturers the surplus houses usually have plenty of them on the shelf available at significantly lower prices. I purchased a batch of them off of the internet that were sold by an airman who would collect rivets dropped by airframe mechanics during repair work. Since the traceability of these rivets was lost they couldn't be used again and had to be thrown out.
Kurt Lesser
US Navy, 1969-1975
M996A1 Ambulance w/M101A3 Trailer
M274A2 Mule
M151A1 Mutt w/M416B1 Trailer
M890 Crew cab

Return to “Humvee Technical Knowledge Base -”